Author Topic: Act 3 is missing?  (Read 3199 times)

I just finished playing through acts 1 and 2 (really REALLY liked them by the way), and I expected to be able to play act 3 once I finished act 2.
Instead it ends at act 2 and says it's "to be continued". The main forum topic makes it sound like act 3 is playable.

I don't have act 3 in the campaign list. I originally tried downloading it from the links in the forum topic, and then tried the FSO installer, both to no avail.
Looking it up, it sounds like I should have it, but I don't, dunno why.  :confused:

I'm using wxlauncher 0.9.4 and FSO 3.7.2-rc3 on Arch Linux x86_64.

Offline Luis Dias

Could you post a screenshot of your FreeSpace2 directory, including the blueplanet and blueplanet2 subdirectories? It seems that either you didn't install Tenebra correctly or you didn't install it at all.

Although I know very little of Linux...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Could you post a screenshot of your FreeSpace2 directory, including the blueplanet and blueplanet2 subdirectories? It seems that either you didn't install Tenebra correctly or you didn't install it at all.

Although I know very little of Linux...
http://i.imgur.com/jkhbfff.png

Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
I would be able to if I had a 64-bit version of the debug executable, it's asking for 32-bit libraries, some of which are not in Arch's repository.
The AUR package doesn't install one by default (roadnottaken's comment), for whatever reason; I'll recompile tomorrow to get it.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Can you see a campaign called "War In Heaven Part 2"? If so, that's actually Act 3 (where Part 1 contains Act 1 + 2).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Luis Dias

The only inconsistency I see is my own fault, my bp2_core.vp is still filled with unnecessary .bak's... everything else seems to check out correctly.

Can you see a campaign called "War In Heaven Part 2"? If so, that's actually Act 3 (where Part 1 contains Act 1 + 2).
Oh, I do.
I thought I was in Act 2 at the end considering I never got any loading screen telling me otherwise.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Act 2 starts with "The Intervention" (bp2-08.fs2); if you load up that mission in the tech room, you should see a loading screen saying "Act 2: Apotheosis".

The "Act 3: Tenebra" loading screen is on "Nothing Is True" (bp2-18.fs2), which as mentioned, is the "Blue Planet: War in Heaven 2" campaign ("War in Heaven 2" is eventually going to encompass acts 4 and 5 as well).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I managed to get to Act 3 with that info, thanks  :)
Now to deal with crashing over and over on the Tenebra intro cutscene

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Now to deal with crashing over and over on the Tenebra intro cutscene
What version of FSO are you running? I know this used to happen with 3.7.2 RC2... although I can't remember what SVN revision that was, off the top of my head.

EDIT: r10722, apparently.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:45:18 pm by AdmiralRalwood »

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Here's the log - http://parrokeet.duckdns.org:11013/view?id=5

What version of FSO are you running? I know this used to happen with 3.7.2 RC2... although I can't remember what SVN revision that was, off the top of my head.

3.7.2 RC3, r10723 from the looks of it.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Here's the log - http://parrokeet.duckdns.org:11013/view?id=5

3.7.2 RC3, r10723 from the looks of it.
RC3 was based on r10774, but there was a glitch in the versioning process and the revision number didn't get updated, so it erroneously lists it as 10723, the same as RC2; you're probably not secretly running RC2, because the assertion at the end of the log is not the crash RC2 gave in the Icarus cutscene.

In fact, it looks like you're missing the 2014 MediaVPs. If you used the FSO Installer, I think the site hosting them went down again; try the torrent link in the release thread.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Urgh - my work proxy doesn't let me connect to most non-standard http ports - could someone either pastebin the log, or [code] tag it?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

RC3 was based on r10774, but there was a glitch in the versioning process and the revision number didn't get updated, so it erroneously lists it as 10723, the same as RC2; you're probably not secretly running RC2, because the assertion at the end of the log is not the crash RC2 gave in the Icarus cutscene.

In fact, it looks like you're missing the 2014 MediaVPs. If you used the FSO Installer, I think the site hosting them went down again; try the torrent link in the release thread.
I have the 2014 MediaVPs, but it turns out it's case sensitive. It was named "MediaVPs_2014" originally, and I suppose the engine never caught it, or it was renamed with capital letters at some point and I never bothered to check it.
Renamed it "mediavps_2014" and it played through the cutscene fine past where it was crashing. It shows up in logs now too.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.  :)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I would guess that the installer text files for the mediavps_2014 have the directory capitalised, but the blueplanet mod.ini files use lower case.  If that's correct it'll cause similar problems for any *nix users who use the installer.  To fix it we'd either need a capitalisation convention to use in installer config files (and update the relevant config files already in use), or implement case-insensitive directory searching on *nix.
----
----

I am playing BP-WiH under Ubuntu 12.04, kernel 3.13, with the regular 3.7.0 release. Do not forget to change the resolution to 16:9 in your starter

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I would guess that the installer text files for the mediavps_2014 have the directory capitalised, but the blueplanet mod.ini files use lower case.  If that's correct it'll cause similar problems for any *nix users who use the installer.  To fix it we'd either need a capitalisation convention to use in installer config files (and update the relevant config files already in use), or implement case-insensitive directory searching on *nix.

The latter really is the only option here, I think.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Maybe, mixing FSO case-insensitive searches with a case-sensitive filesystem could cause other issues like picking the wrong directory when you've got both mod/Data and mod/data (maybe both should be added to the search path? But then you've got potential precedence/ordering issues).

Or you have the current situation where the installer uses mediavps_3612 (containing the normal files) and MediaVPS_3612 (containing the .3612.vp "patched" files) - see below for a test run I just did to a temp folder to verify this.

Code: [Select]
$ ls -R ~/fso
~/fso:
fs2_open_3.7.0.tar  mediavps_3612  MediaVPS_3612

~/fso/mediavps_3612:
FSU-MVP.bmp  mod.ini  MV_Advanced.vp  MV_AnimGlows.vp  MV_Assets.vp  MV_Effects.vp  MV_Music.vp  MV_RadarIcons.vp  MV_Root.vp  readme.txt

~/fso/MediaVPS_3612:
MV_Assets.3612.vp  MV_Effects.3612.vp  MV_Root.3612.vp

I'm not trying to throw rocks at anyone about this, it's something that won't be picked up by anyone creating/testing their installer file on Windows or OSX. It's just unfortunate that it is this way, and I can't think of any really good solutions.
----
----

Use pyrenamer or similar programs to rename all files to lower-case letters. It's a known thing in Linux installations.