Poll

How many FRED shortcuts do you have?

1: I edit the shortcut when I need to
11 (45.8%)
2 - 5: Just for every TC or major mod
6 (25%)
6+: Every folder has its own shortcut!
5 (20.8%)
0: I run FRED through the command line. Nubs.
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: FRED Shortcuts!  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Axem

Just curious to see how other FREDders deal with this and how the die hard ones organize them.

For the record, I have 8. Vanilla, MediaVPs, plus 4 other FS mini-campaigns, then Diaspora and SoL.

Earlier I wrote a batch script where I would just have to type the folder name and it would run FRED with that mod. But recently I just stick them all in a folder and use a program called Standalone Stack where it organizes the folder into a MacOSX style stack menu.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I made a folder for shortcuts. I also added shortcuts to the mission folders, FS2 folder, etc as well as for the source code. Made it a useful one stop place for all my modding links. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I have...6+
1 for each of my team projects (3), 1 for mvps, and 1 for each of my personal projects (4-5)
I'm too lazy to edit the shortcut, or to type stuff in to the CMD line.
The problem is, I'm also too lazy to rename my shortcuts, so they're mostly 'Copy of Shortcut to FRED2Open_<bunch of stuff> (2)' and such...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Axem

I made a folder for shortcuts. I also added shortcuts to the mission folders, FS2 folder, etc as well as for the source code. Made it a useful one stop place for all my modding links. :)

Heh, if we're gong for any FS2 shortcuts, I've got 3 launchers and a general FS2 Folder shortcut in another stack. Additionally I have the whole FS2 folder bookmarked in Notepad++ for easy access. ;)

Offline eliex

I just have 3.
Mod projects take 2 and one standard mediavp shortcut.

I name them according to their association . . . Standard, MT etc

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I have 6+

I have commitment issues when it comes to FRED. Way too many failed personal projects :P

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I'm somewhere between the first and the second choice. I have one shortcut that I always change when I need to, and I have one shortcut for chief's old standalone FRED build that FotG used for a little while. I no longer use the FotG one, as it doesn't work as standalone at the moment.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I have 12, the most important ones are in the taskbar, the others in a folder on the desktop.

BtrL 3.6.9
BtrL 3.6.9 inferno  ( no longer in use but still there  )
BtrL 3.6.10nightly
BtrL Mod folder 3.6.10 dfva
BtrL Mod folder 3.6.10RC2

TBP 3.6.9
TBP 3.6.9 inferno
TBP 3.6.10 RC2
TBP mod folder 3.6.10dfva

FS2 3.6.9
FS2 Mod folder 3.6.10 dfva
FS2 3.6.10 RC2

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
1 or maybe 2, but I rarely use the 2nd one.

Offline eliex

On the subject of FRED shortcuts, did anyone change the shortcut icons to the nicer versions Axem made about 3 months back?  :p