Author Topic: PCS2 User to User Help  (Read 109882 times)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Re: PCS2 User to User Help
do you people really not know what the type flag in the glow points does? it's exactly what it sounds like it is the glow point's type. type 0 is a 'point' type, 1 is a 'beam' type (unless they are broken). have you never just put a bunch of numbers in and seen what they did? or look at the source. I ****ing hacked SSM tables out of the original FS2 exe with a damned hex editor, you have the source code freely available to you and 'no one knows' ? really?

1. 95% of people out "here" that are modding don't have either the affinity for coding, know a back slash from a forward slash, could care less, or have any idea what to get into or how to even look. The "general populace" is not sage class like some of you guys that reside on the most popular mods and have 3,000+ posts. This is why we can't understand what you're all talking about half the time.
You lost the rest of us because you're on a whole other level.

2. Punching in random numbers is great if you have no other resource, but around here it usually leads to breaking something and having to recreate all your work and try again. It's faster and usually more reliable to ask someone who knows, instead of floundering around in the dark and repeating your work. As the saying goes, "there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers."

Supposedly there are people that know every facet and function of PCS2 and it's ties into SCP. However, even though people requested those who did know collaborate (Request for Documentation Thread) and do a little work each instead of a lot of work individually - no one short of Scooby Doo really stepped up to the plate. Even he didn't know about some parts of PCS2. It took a noob (me) 2 weeks, picking about 12 people's brains over IRC, to get somewhat concrete answers, to do the job... the experts could have handled.

3. If you know about the subject better, get the Dev version of my tut and edit the thing. The vast majority of the work is already done.

4. If all developers want great features to be used instead of seemingly wasted? Then explain their usage fully in layman's terms, the general populace can understand. Don't condemn folks because no one's updated the "user manual" in years.

I'm not going to start some kind of flame, so that's all I'm going to say and leave it there.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Given the complete apparent lack of free programs which will import a .cob file (apart from the dreaded TrueSpace), I decided I'd try and abuse PCS2 to import a .cob file via .dae into Blender. I've not been successful to date. Perhaps the internal hirarchy of the file prevents this from happening? I'll attach the file if anyone cares to explain.

-Thaeris

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Water

Given the complete apparent lack of free programs which will import a .cob file (apart from the dreaded TrueSpace), I decided I'd try and abuse PCS2 to import a .cob file via .dae into Blender. I've not been successful to date. Perhaps the internal hirarchy of the file prevents this from happening? I'll attach the file if anyone cares to explain.

-Thaeris
Add attached Truespace import script to Blender's Script directory.

Otherwise Accutrans 3D can convert to dae or obj    http://www.micromouse.ca/

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I have a problem with PCS2  Pof-2-cob function in combination with Truespace. I'm using Truespace for years, the program is certainly not the best, but it's usable.

However, everytime I make the pof 2 cob in PCS2, reopen the model file in truespace (works so far) and then click on any subobject in the keyframe editor, truespace crashes (5.1 version)  :mad:  Only version that seems to work is truespace 7.6, however the version I downloaded some time ago seems to be some sort of demo, because it don't save textures and UV-Coordinates, so now I'm stuck.

The original model was done in max,  anyone else encountered problems with the pof2cob and has any idea what the problem is, and if there is a workaround ? I'm just not willing buying TS 7.6 for my limited uses :(
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Water

I'm just not willing buying TS 7.6 for my limited uses :(
7.6 is now free of charge. Microsoft bought them out and then stopped development.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yeah, I noticed that too after I posted. Already installed it, but it's pretty unstable and still refuses to save objects with textures, dunno why  :(
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Yeah, I noticed that too after I posted. Already installed it, but it's pretty unstable and still refuses to save objects with textures, dunno why  :(

Try to save as TS 6.cob.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I did, still not working though :(
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Do you have the textures in a format TS can read (.bmp) and where it can find them?  I've noticed that if it can't find the textures it won't resave the map.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes, and they are also usable/visible inside truespace 7.61. However, I made progress with the pof2cob. I noticed that PCS2 is creating for every single path vector, subsystems and whatever and additional light, and the number of lights is what made TS5.1 crashing when you click on something inside the keyframe editor.

When I delete all the lights (by reseting the complete light setup, therefore deleting also the correct lights) I can work with the model in the old truespace version again. I just have to recreate the lights for correct submodels. At least that's some workaround, though still quite some work.

I can't say however if all those lights are created alone by PCS2, or by the combination of the original max file and PCS2
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline JGZinv

Got somewhat of an odd question, but how long is a export from PCS2 supposed to take
when you have a 12,000 polygon model?

I've got a base piece that size, unfortunately it had 30 textures (yes I'm aware that's not the right way
wanted to just see if it'd get in game) and the thing basically stalled.

Still listed as running, but I was an hour into "Submodel 2: detail3" and it wasn't progressing.
There shouldn't have been any submodels either, the structure was one mesh.

So kinda curious if it's the textures giving pcs2 a heart attack, or something else.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yesterday I converted a 30k poly object back to cob, didn't take more than 2 minutes, though it only had one texture. Whatever the reason may be, certainly not the polycount. But sometimes I noticed lockups if you have too much other stuff running, so try first to cancel other programs. But it could also be the textures you pointed out, don't know.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline JGZinv

Granted I had about a dozen things running, but the system should be more than enough to handle it.

Sounds like textures though. Don't think PCS2 was meant to digest that many at once.
..or hidden model errors.. have to check that tonight.

Re: Important PCS2 Threads
Hmm I try to do this as You say:

-I install pcs2 collada patch
-set in deep explorer group

-When I try to open this file in PCS2 I have this:

I don't know what is wrong..

Did you do an reset x-form before exporting?  That error is usually because you did an move/rotate/scale before you exported (there's extra information in the dae file that the converter can't handle)   Also remember before you reset, detach anything linked to it first, otherwise everything will get thrown out of wack.  After you're done with the reset then you can reattach safely.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Water

Sounds like textures though. Don't think PCS2 was meant to digest that many at once.
..or hidden model errors.. have to check that tonight.
Hidden model errors are most likely.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Oh, and here is a piece of advice.

I recently ran in to a problem that totally boggled my mind by it's existence. But I found that really, it is our fault for not stating it implicitly as it's just sort of understood.

The problem was, someone wanted to know why their textures were not working in a model.

They had been under the impression that, in order to load -shine and -glow and -normal textures for a model, they had to also be listed in the texture space in the POF.

As many of us might imagine, this did not work out so well.

I've edited the following pages on the Wiki to hopefully clarify this better for people, and if anybody can think of any corrections or pages I've missed feel free to either let me know or modify them.

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/POF_Constructor_Suite
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Texturing
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Model_files
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline JGZinv

I'll try to make an effort to get this into the Max/PCS2 tutorial of mine.
It's far too important to leave out. The Texturing link probably had the best explanation of the three.

Might not be today though, am mighty tired.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
For me, PCS 2.0.3 crashes whenever I try to look at weapon points, thrusters, special points, dock points, paths or eye points (that is, when I click on any of those items on the left menu). Textures and subobjects I can view and use just fine, though. So, essentially, I can't really do anything useful with this thing currently. :wtf: PCS 1.3.6 doesn't crash, but that's useless for other reasons.

Here's some system info:

Quote from: Query OpenGL
OpenGL Version is "1.3.1072 WinXP Release"
Vender is "ATI Technologies Inc."
Renderer is "RADEON 9200 Series DDR x86/SSE2"
Quote from: DirectX Diagnostic Tool
  Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.090206-1233)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: IBM
       System Model: 8305D1G
               BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 for IBM NetVista.
          Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
             Memory: 766MB RAM
          Page File: 704MB used, 1171MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

I never installed SP3 because of all the problems I read it caused at the time, so I still only have SP2. I could update to SP3 if there's some hope that it'd help and that it wouldn't break anything.

Any ideas?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I suspect it might be your OGL version there. It's a bit old. :p
Mine:
OpenGL Version is "2.1.2"
Vender is "NVIDIA Corporation"
Renderer is "GeForce 8600 GTS/PCI/SSE2"

The points you describe it as crashing on I think are a specific Open GL feature, and since AFAIK OGL is included in the graphics drivers, a good first step would be to make sure you've got the most recent ones. I don't know if it's also a hardware limitation though, since a 9200 is quite a way out of date now.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
I suspect it might be your OGL version there. It's a bit old. :p
Mine:
OpenGL Version is "2.1.2"
Vender is "NVIDIA Corporation"
Renderer is "GeForce 8600 GTS/PCI/SSE2"

The points you describe it as crashing on I think are a specific Open GL feature, and since AFAIK OGL is included in the graphics drivers, a good first step would be to make sure you've got the most recent ones. I don't know if it's also a hardware limitation though, since a 9200 is quite a way out of date now.
Well, I of course have the latest Catalyst drivers (no wonder, since they came out in 2006). Sounds like a probable cause, however it's pretty silly if the hardware requirements of the model conversion program are higher than those of the actual game or even the modelling program, since both of the latter run perfectly fine.

Maybe I should try using the integrated Intel display stuff I have on this machine as well, however. Perhaps with some luck that'd just happen to work.