Author Topic: PCS2 User to User Help  (Read 109951 times)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Re: PCS2 User to User Help
Well I tried stripping the ship down over and over again till it had 80K in polies, finally got it through PCS2 as pof.
Got it in the game, and any time you go to load it it locks up. So I'm defeated for tonight.

I'll have to load some files up... do you want the original file in Max or OBJ or one of my subsequent stripped versions?
Probably will send the links to you tomorrow over pm. This is also for the SW:OTM sort of...
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
FYI, the POF format only supports 64k vertices per subobject.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Well I tried stripping the ship down over and over again till it had 80K in polies, finally got it through PCS2 as pof.
Got it in the game, and any time you go to load it it locks up. So I'm defeated for tonight.

I'll have to load some files up... do you want the original file in Max or OBJ or one of my subsequent stripped versions?
Probably will send the links to you tomorrow over pm. This is also for the SW:OTM sort of...
.obj is fine, as i dont have max around. just tell me what dimensions its also supposed to be?

FYI, the POF format only supports 64k vertices per subobject.
oh yay XD
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Got it in the game, and any time you go to load it it locks up.

Are you sure? Generating the cache file for such a big model takes a very long time unless you're on a relatively fast computer (and even then it definitely takes a while). Also, debug builds might do it slower than release builds, but I'm not sure.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Yeah fairly sure.  17.6km long is the only dimension worth worrying about.

Running a i3-540 (3ghz core duo refresh), 4Gb ram, GTX 275 w/768 onboard, etc...

Will get you the files in a couple hours here.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Having trouble using the Global import and/or Geometry import.  If I try to use Global import nothing happens.  I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be importing....  If I use Geometry import, the geometry I've imported doesn't save its textures.

What am I doing wrong.  Do I just have a dumb computer?

Global import imports all the POF data (turret setups, subsystems, glowpoints and the likes) from an existing model into the new one. Of course, if you're importing from a model with nothing set up, you won't be importing anything :P

Geometry import, not sure on that.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Hold on, I just found out that there's an April 1st build.  I'll try that after class tonight.

So I downloaded a mod asset and excitedly did what needed to be done to get the model ingame to test it out. After a couple minutes, a funny feeling warmed over. Then I was struck by a couple Harpoons, and it dawned on me - I had no moment of inertia.

I then proceeded to download PCS2, and open up the .pof. Yup - No moment of inertia.

I then tried to open up a .pof that was similar in size to the model I was trying to use, copy them over to the bugged .pof, and then mess around with it from there, but they refused to open up. These ones came from the mediavps3612 visual vp. The only thing that showed up was the black box, and a bunch of 0 values in every box.

Annoyed, I then tried opening up a few more from different mods to try to isolate the problem.. Those opened up fine, albeit without any model display for some reason.

I'd like to reference the retail model moments of inertia, but I can't. PCS2 said that it could try to calculate them for me, but I decided to not do that because it said it probably wouldn't do a very good job. Any solutions?

PCS2 does a fine job at calculating MOI, just as long as you don't have a really weird model. Try it, it'll probably be alright. Hell, even if the MOI was off by a factor 2, who would notice?

The models not rendering is strange though... did you use the PCS2  installer? And are your video drivers up to date?

Didn't see the reply until recently. Whoops. >_>

I'm fairly sure my video card drivers are up to date, and yeah, I did use the PCS2 installer.

By my assessment, I think it's VPmage trolling me and corrupting anything that's not a .fs2 or a table file. It seems that everything it spits out comes out as unreadable. .oggs, pofs, nothing comes out as readable. -.-

Hmm, I only use VPmage for packing VPs - for unpacking, try VPView, it never corrupted a file for me.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
cfilearchiver for packing! FTW
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Does anyone know what most often causes PCS2 to fail to build the BSP data? Specifically producing this error message:

"An error occured compiling the BSP data for one or more submodels"

The resultant pof saves, but crashes PCS2 when I try to open it. I have no idea what submodel it's struggling with, but until I know what might be causing the issue, I can't fix it anyway. My usual go-tos (Resetting X-Form, welding verts, re-exporting the DAE etc. etc.) have failed, and I'm at a total impasse.

Help?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Just a quick note to anybody having issues loading up textures...

PCS2's "Browse" button sometimes doesn't automatically append the last \ to the file path, so instead of "<FreeSpace 2 Open>\data\maps\" you get "<FreeSapce 2 Open>\data\maps" and no textures. So, you'll have to manually put that \ in there if you want it to work right.

Also, if your running an OpenGL version less than 1.5 (Like many of the older integrated graphics :blah:) uncheck the "Use OpenGL VBO's (if available)" if PCS2 keeps crashing on you.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Okay, sorry for what is probably a stupid question: how the heck do I rotate a turret? I can move it anywhere, but I can't seem to rotate it in any way. I've tried everything I can think of and everything I can find, and I'm completely stumped. Is it that you can't rotate turrets in PCS2--it has to be done in a modelling program, or something?

To give more details; I'm modifying the Deimos model. I copied one of the normal turret subobjects (the small cone type of turret), renamed it, moved it right next to the place I want it, but I can't find any way to rotate it so that it's not either half-inside the hull or floating a few meters from the surface.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Transform button, top right, when the turret's subobject is selected.
if you can't find such a button upgrade your PCS2 version.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Looks like I need to upgrade my PCS2 version. Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, now I'm really confused, as I seem to already have the most current version installed, and when I redownloaded the installer for the current version and reinstalled it, the button is still not there.

Okay, and another question: every time I try adding a turret/subobject, no matter how fine it seems to have worked, when I go to save...I get the "Arrays Out of Place" error (or something like that); this causes the program to instantly close and I lose all unsaved changes (which is everything since I opened the file...). What's the deal with that?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:22:33 pm by SaltyWaffles »
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
http://puu.sh/1eBaN

That button there. Transform.
With a bit of the rest of the UI shown so you can find it

And yeah if you're getting that error you're on an old old version, I haven't had that error in ages.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81593.msg1637284#msg1637284
use zis version plz
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Okay, that did the trick. Thank you!

It seems that the wiki's entries about PCS2 really needs an update; all of the download links and info directs to 2.2/3 being the most current version (and does not say to look in the forums for info that isn't years out of date). That's what caused the confusion in the first place--I thought I was on the up-to-date version based on the wiki (with a solid-looking entry on very common, important software for FSO...), but I wasn't at all.

Never thought it would be so ridiculously satisfying to trial-and-error rotate a simple subobject.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)