Author Topic: GTC Fenris in Minecraft  (Read 82512 times)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Re: GTC Fenris in Minecraft
I thought that was an op room on an arcadia...

Offline watsisname

Think so.  Were there any cases of bridges seen on other vessels?  The Bosch monologues on the Iceni are the only thing I can think of.  Then again maybe that's just his quarters.
/tangent
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd say that was Bosch's quarters, since he's making an entry in his personal log during the cutscene.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
QAZWSX AM POST PICTUHRS:

Note: Those sections at the side still exist, I just get a lot of invisible chunks :\
http://imgur.com/a/5GPa5 Album, with higher-res images
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Great progression there. :) I'll post mine as well when it's finished. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I love how more and more of the earth beneath keeps gradually disappearing.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
repost fenris graphic guide thing
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I fixed the link in the original post.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Reposting here:

FYI, I kinda stopped visiting the server due to my lag issues... I haven't tried throughout the night like I used to do, though. That lag really takes out any drive I have every time I log in. I'll get all rearing to go about finishing this or that, log on, and find that only the initial chunk loads and that I get that timeout error after a few minutes. Really frustrating.

In any case, I really want to come back - I just am unable to these days for some reason. :( Perhaps I'll try later tonight.

In the meantime, I made a couple of MC videos and put them on YouTube. One's a full tutorial on what I termed the Spawning Pad Integrated Lighting System (SPILS for short). The other is an overview on how to modify Etho's Simple Piston Elevator to add a floor selection mechanism. Lemme know what you think in the comments, like, subscribe... :nervous: *runs*

Offline -Sara-

I'm partially tempted to help finish it and pull a minecart rail through it, which shows some things like a warp core, the glowing engine etc, a themepark ride if you wish. :) It's not the original plan though I imagine.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Actually that's pretty much exactly what I had imagined - a separate "Fenris Tour" rail line, that will show the near (closed) side, loop around the front or back, pass along the far (open) side (slower than normal - perhaps have a 1-block incline after every booster rail to keep speed down), and then go right into the Fenris (perhaps through a docking port), showing off main areas like what you mentioned, etc. I don't think that the "Fenris Tour" rail should have actual stops inside the Fenris, though, otherwise there will be hangups. Also might be a good idea to encase it in a cylinder of glass for most of its route through the Fenris, to discourage people from getting out of their minecarts. The glass cylinder can have sections cut out of it for the tour highlights like the engines, etc.

Some thoughts on the internals...
  • I definitely think we should leave room between decks for any wiring we might need, so let's say 3 blocks of deck (air), 1 block of floor/ceiling, 2 blocks of maintenance area (air), 1 block of floor/ceiling, repeat.
  • Maintenance areas should not have external windows.
  • Main hallways/corridors (which should probably run most of the entire length of the ship, one on port, one on starboard) should be either 7 or 8 blocks wide (depending on if we need them to be even or odd). I'd like the outer 2 meters on both sides to be recessed lighting: Eg. WALL | LIGHTS | BLOCKS TO PREVENT SEEING THE LIGHT SOURCES DIRECTLY | PASSAGE | PASSAGE | PASSAGE | BLOCKS TO PREVENT SEEING THE LIGHT SOURCES DIRECTLY | LIGHTS | WALL. See the main entry hallway to my house for reference, although I think it'd be better to place the lights near the floor instead of the ceiling, similar to the lighting in the hallway run sequence I posted pics of earlier.
  • Leave plenty of room along the main hallways in the center 3rd of the ship - I wanna put in an elevator & drop system in there. More later.
  • Form follows function in room design: don't make a 20x20 area called a bridge and then fill it with stuff. Leave the deck free of walls first, decide where the bridge will go, place the stations of the bridge, and only then enclose it with walls.

Offline -Sara-

Mods could always no-build it like Qaz's mansion. Also, no harm in preventing stops, just slow the track with a touch tile. You freeze at a station and repeaters launch you again seconds later.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Me and Kyad have started pouring time into this. We've built up about 3.1 chests of smoothstone, Kyad did some remodelling of the station, I'm going to start digging/grinding for a massive surge in TNT, and Kyad has been constructing.

We may get this done yet.

We've created some new password-protected chests. Too many people were skimming, and flat out depleting, necessary supplies. Get up with either of us for the password.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The Emperor has graced Fenris with his presence again. May the mighty vessel grow! So I decree it and so it shall be done!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Right, so I cleaned up some of the frame and finished a large amount of the shell:

It looks like a fenris now! Still need tons of coal and cobble.

(Don't have a heartattack sandwich, the back has been left open)
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Hubba-friggin-hubba!! Awesome job, guys! I'd totally be there helping, but the lag keeps kicking me off. :(

For the front section, I'd recommend fleshing out as many levels (the ones I did the graphics for) as possible, since the geometry is tricksy!

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I made a station system to transport materials into fenris:

<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
DokuRPG?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, here's the deal. Initially I created the side-view outline of the Fenris separately from the more accurate, top-down views. I thought the two views matched in size, but apparently I was wrong. I just went to the top roof of Fenris (y=128) to measure things, and it turns out that it was 2 blocks too narrow (side-to-side), and 5 blocks too short (front-to-back) - according to the top-down view files (according to the side view it was fine). Frustrating.

Anyway, obviously the side view is not nearly as comprehensive as the top-down views, so I figured we'd best go according to them. To that end, I added the necessary blocks to the roof, and got it sized exactly as it should be, and then realized what I was getting into. :o

So.... qaz/rhx, could one of you slice the Fenris into quarters, nudge the port quarters 1 block to port, the starboard quarters 1 block to starboard, the front quarters 3 blocks forwards, and the rear quarters 2 blocks backwards? It'll be a lot simpler to fill in the missing gap in the center than move all the bulkheads. :-/

Also, I started replacing the engine section at the rear with glass - I'm thinking we can sandwich some lava (no pun intended) between vertical sheets of glass for the engine glows.

Finally, see attached for updated top-down files... the graphics are still the same, but the filenames include the y coordinate you see in F3 when you're standing on the level that file is for.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline -Sara-

Also, I started replacing the engine section at the rear with glass - I'm thinking we can sandwich some lava (no pun intended) between vertical sheets of glass for the engine glows.

Wait for glass panes, they're similar to glass blocks but are indented halfway on the smoothstone blocks forming the edges, giving a far better appearance of depth. The new iron bars may proof to be a good alternative also. I'll screenshot both in creative for reference.

UPDATE:

Glass pane:

Iron bars:

The latter REALLY works for the Fenris!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:14:17 am by -Sara- »