Author Topic: Release: 3.6.14 Final  (Read 62706 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Is there actually much point in providing generic 'Linux' builds? That label is basically just misleading; it's unlikely to work without tweaking on any distro other than the one for which it was compiled, and if you can do the tweaks you're better off compiling yourself anyway.

Even given the exact distro, "tweaking" for deps will still be necessary, which if there is anybody that is in Linux that doesn't already know this, they will soon learn it.

The fact that it is compiled on 32bit Ubuntu means nothing regarding a 64bit Slackware, other than to heads-up the player that they will likely need to install the 32bit version of the deps -if they encounter problems-. The build output, despite the system environment, is made to be as agnostic as possible, so no, it's not an exclusively 32bit Ubuntu Package, so yes, it can be released generically and IF somebody ACTUALLY encounter an issue, we have the Cross Platform board for them to report non-hypothetical issues on.

And with that, I'd like to see the end of this discussion taking place any further in THIS thread. If you still want to address it, please make a dedicated topic in the Cross Platform board where it properly belongs.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If the Plato bug is that old, is it a code bug or a FSPort bug?  Both have had numerous releases since the 3.6.8 days, hard to believe it wouldn't have been addressed in one side or the other by now unless no one had reported it until recently.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
If the Plato bug is that old, is it a code bug or a FSPort bug?  Both have had numerous releases since the 3.6.8 days, hard to believe it wouldn't have been addressed in one side or the other by now unless no one had reported it until recently.

thing is I think it is a possible to reproduce bug in retail FS1, you just need to be more competent at the game that expected at that stage
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
IIRC in retail the plato self destructs if it makes it to the node. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm not sure if there's an actual self-destruct trigger, but it was definitely destroyed every time I played the mission in retail FS1, and that was just on Easy difficulty too.  There are a few places in the Port where the AI winds up being more effective than in retail, mostly because of FS2's improved missile-homing, but the Plato is the only instance I can think of where they just aren't destroying what they're supposed to.

Offline FSHero

Congratulations and well done, the Source Code Project team!

I surely will enjoy playing multiplayer with the new builds with the same old gang, and hopefully some new faces too!

I wish I could've contributed more to testing/debugging; unfortunately the pressure of final year exams and also of starting work pushed FS2Open to the back seat, but hopefully I can help to continue to test nightlies in the near future!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I'm getting the double ETS thing with final.  After searching a bit and navigating a link maze, I arrived at the fix I remembered seeing earlier when I read the release threads to keep mildly up to date on stuff but didn't actually play with them, here

However, the attached files are now gone, and I don't see any gauges.tbl files to do the changes manually.  Can someone re-up these, or otherwise direct me to fixing it?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Updated hud gauge tables (for mediavps_3612, fsport & BP2) are attached to this mantis issue, .  To use them create <mod>/data/tables, put the file in there and rename it to mv_root-hdg.tbm.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
much obliged.

A much higher performance hit than before.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Could you elaborate on this? I have trouble understanding what you are saying. Is it a complaint? A compliment?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Its a complaint. Im getting lower FPS on mods than before. I will try playing with 12 again to see if I'm mistaken and my memory is just playing tricks on me.
There is a bug I noticed in RC6, I think. After selecting the pilot, the sound goes nuts(thats the best I can describe it) everything freezes and the tip appears with the screen switching between the picture in the pilot selection window and the main window in rapid succession. I've recorded a video. How do I post it here?

Offline Luis Dias

You could try uploading it to youtube...

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Its a complaint. Im getting lower FPS on mods than before. I will try playing with 12 again to see if I'm mistaken and my memory is just playing tricks on me.
There is a bug I noticed in RC6, I think. After selecting the pilot, the sound goes nuts(thats the best I can describe it) everything freezes and the tip appears with the screen switching between the picture in the pilot selection window and the main window in rapid succession. I've recorded a video. How do I post it here?

There's a set of .14 RC's that are incompatible with cards that only support OpenGL 1.4 or lower (such as Intel's integrated graphics), but this was amended later in the RC process. So, try one of the RC's from the higher numbers instead of just RC6.

You may also want to double check your launcher settings, the configuration for "Inferno" builds are now the de-facto build configuration, and enable a number of commonly used settings that result in a higher strain on your GPU.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, we kinda need specifics about your setup here. What kind of GPU, what OS, that sort of thing.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I have an Nvidia 210 GT which I overclock to
Core clock: 625MHZ
Shader clock: 1478MHz
Memory Clock: 610MHz

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600

Might try a linux build on Ubuntu 12.10 that I've got dual booted.

Offline LHN91

That 210 GT is pretty weak. Not sure how much overclocking it helps, but it is only negligably better at stock than modern intelgrated graphics. I know, I have a 210, and it was my Home Theatre card until I gave it to my girlfriend so she could dual screen. I would hazard a guess that your graphics card simply can't keep up with the graphical enhancements in .14

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hmm, I dunno.  It supports more, but there's nothing being used in the 3.6.12 MediaVPs really that wasn't in .12, aside from the modified shaders.  If the newer shaders are causing that big a performance dip, we might have a small problem.  This build should be faster if nothing else.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
He didn't mentioned which build he switched from. Shadows beta, for example, is faster (despite shadows, it's because it has a lot of recent optimizations in).

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yes, he mentioned playing on 12 in his post before last.