Author Topic: Thruster Models  (Read 2632 times)

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Recently ive been  wondering weather or not we should still use the thruster models (modeled thruster flames) on ship models. I've been thinking this becasue with all the new engine trail stuff a much better effect can be accomplished by using those, and also there's some inconsistency with ships using them/not using them. One thing i'd like to see would be a launcher flag to disable them outright but i still think there should be some standerdisation in the models.

So here's the question, are you for or against thruster models?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
For.  If people want to use the ships in retail or without the mediaVPs (for whatever reason) they'll need thruster cones.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
No they won't. There's still the single round glow.

I model my ships without the uglies.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Currently those modelled thruster cones can be disabled with species_defs.tbl. A thread about the subject and an example table
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Didn't I just see a thread saying the exact opposite? :p
-C

Do you mean 3D Thrusters, like the HTL Perseus, which have a more detailed Thruster Model than the other ships.

Without the Bitmap Cone (the Thruster0x-02 and 0x-02a), the Textures of the Thruster, I mean the ANI (or EFF), needs to be, or have a -glow texture, that way it feels like it radiates light and becomes visible, even if you set "ambient_factor 0", as it should be.......

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
In retail thrusters used modeled cone (with thruster01.ani etc.) and a single round glow (thusterglow01.pcx etc.). So why would there be a need for glow texture? Or did you mean something else?

And what i posted simply kills all the 3d thruster models (with their ugly animations) leaving only the retail glow + the SCP glow thrusters visible (all bitmaps).
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I think they're redundant now that we have scalable 2D thruster plumes. They don't scale correctly on engines that aren't completely flat, and they're not all that attractive either.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...