Author Topic: Occasional inability to see other servers.  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Occasional inability to see other servers.
So me and one guy I've met playing, Winter, have struck up a friendship. Only problem is, sometimes I can't see his server, but he can see mine. A couple hours later when I sign back in, he can't see mine, but I can see his. This seems to be happening to just about all of the player base. Devs have any idea what's up?
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Occasional inability to see other servers.
Have you both forwarded ports 7117 and 7808 in your firewall/router?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Have you both forwarded ports 7117 and 7808 in your firewall/router?

I have, yes. And I believe he has also, or else I wouldn't be able to see it at all, right?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Not quite.

If you've played a game together you'll be able to see his server regardless of whether he's forwarded or not. He's already connected to your PC so his router is expecting traffic to come back. If after you've hosted a game, he hosts one, it will probably appear on the list. Where as if he tries to host first, his server probably wouldn't appear because any attempt to contact him is bouncing off his firewall.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Not quite.

If you've played a game together you'll be able to see his server regardless of whether he's forwarded or not. He's already connected to your PC so his router is expecting traffic to come back. If after you've hosted a game, he hosts one, it will probably appear on the list. Where as if he tries to host first, his server probably wouldn't appear because any attempt to contact him is bouncing off his firewall.

Huh. That's kind of confusing... in any case, I've been able to host other people other than him. I'm not sure what the dealio is. Obviously I'm not trying to criticize you guys, this is a supremely awesome game and I know you guys'll iron out the kinks.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing