Author Topic: New Dossier: 'What is Ubuntu'?  (Read 11963 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: New Dossier: 'What is Ubuntu'?
Why do you think they lack AI support?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Why do you think they lack AI support?

Because AIs have never been mentioned in the Freespace lore, or at least, never mentioned as taking an active role. More likely to be support/computational roles.

At the end of the day, Freespace always has humans in command/pulling the trigger/pressing the red button/etc.

Which then leads to situations where the UEF is going to be unsuited by nature, since it's a very a humanistic society (Which is lovely), they're going to find it hard to sacrifice the few for the many. Especially when the few are a refugee convoy screaming at them to come back and save them from the incoming Shivans, and they've got to go off and protect the Europan colony instead.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well.

I could point out how the preconceptions you have based on your experiences as a good GTVA citizen have shaped your expectations.

Consider: The GTVA is still very much a frontier society. Yes, they have a dozen planets. BUT: All of them are pretty much untamed land. Life in the GTVA, for the average citizen, is still very much about making their worlds livable.

The UEF, on the other hand, has the most developed infrastructure in the known universe at their disposal. They have a population base that is as large as that of the entire GTVA combined. They have the resources to spend on pure research projects. They can afford to do stuff that the GTVA would never, ever contemplate, simply because it would not be practical for them.

In short, the success of Ubuntu is very much based on the Elders being Badass Bookworms, well versed in the art of Awesomeness by Analysis. They have the ressources I just described at their disposal. They can, and indeed have created a Utopia for Mankind. They have created something that is so powerful that even should the GTVA achieve military supremacy, it will have to change into something unrecognizable because there is no other way to hold Sol.

Also, consider this: The Shivans are the symptoms of a larger problem. The Shivans themselves cannot be beaten by military force. You can blow up Sathanii left and right, and you would still not make a dent. The GTVA's absolute focus on finding a resolution based on force of arms is too narrow to find a long-term solution.
The Vasudans have a somewhat different POV. So does the UEF. Are they wrong? Maybe. But, does that make the GTVA right by default?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I think we should see the Ubuntu-GTVA ideological conflict from a different point of vue. Let's remember Capella : the Shivans can't be defeated with military actions. It's a fact. Yes, we can slow them down, yes, we can isolate ourselves blowing nodes up, but eventually, we can't win a war against the Shivans.

Starting from this fact, GTVA's point of vue is wrong. Even if they win the war against the UEF with minimal losses, get the hand on Sol industrial power and build a huge fleet of Raynors and Titans, they can't hope to win a war against the Shivans. The only thing they can hope is either to stop them temporarily via node collapsing, or make a last stand before going into hiding à la Sanctuary. Humanity can't spend its history fighting an invincible enemy, dreading about their next incursion, or go in hiding forever in a sleeper ship.

So, that being said, what remaining choice do we have ? The Ubuntu is not ready for a military conflict against a xenocidal race, it's also a fact. But as I just said above, the military solution isn't the good solution anyway.

Now let's remember Age of Aquarius. How did the 14th Battlegroup and the Sanctuary made it back to our universe, while the whole Shivan armada wanted them dead ? Not really thanks to their military might. They survived because of the Vishnans. More precisely, because the Vishnans chose to save them.

Now why did they chose to ?
They have created. They have created communities where former enemies can live in peace. They have created peace from war, where former enemies are now friends.

Both races exhibited potential.
And what is humanity doing in War in Heaven ? Where are the communities, where is the peace, what do we create, where is the potential the Vishnans decided worth saving ? And add to that the fact that even the relations between the Terran and Vasudan in GTVA are damaged, and you will be starting to understand my point.

Only the Vishnans have the power to stop the Shivans. But if we ever manage to contact the Vishnans in our universe, they probably won't be so much willing to save our races if we continue to fight each other.

Conclusion : War isn't the solution. But basing all our hopes on the Vishnans when we don't even know how to contact them, and not even being assured that they will help us, isn't very clever either. Maybe it's too late, maybe we have already wasted our potential as a race, and then we can only count on GTVA's military solution. But maybe not. We know some Ubuntu leaders "claim that they are in contact with a sophisticated alien race", and same goes for some Vasudan "prophets". Maybe it's the Vishnans. Maybe it's just fantasizing. Maybe it is something totally different. But it also may be the last hope to "bring the rest of our race to enlightenment".
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 01:59:56 am by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Snail

• SC 5
<<Vishnans>>
Let us not forget that if the Vishnans truly wanted to save us, they could have done so already. Let us not forget that the Vishnans allowed the Shivans to destroy Vasuda Prime and Earth in the alternate universe and allowed billions to perish somewhat needlessly.

The Vishnans probably have some hidden agenda. Hell, they're practically on first-name basis with Shiva.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
... ugh ... Why turn the UEF into wannabe-Culture?

This is an interesting read, and i applaud that you are going to such lengths to flesh it all out but... i disagree on the whole idea :p

In any case, looking forward to more reads like this :)
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No force is infinite in size. Just how many Sathani does the Shivans have in your fanon (not ones that appear in the campaign but ones that exist)? Knowing Bat, he would say millions, but that is far fetched and he isn't the creator of BP. Enlighten me. Then can you tell me how many Dantes they have? I remember you saying that they have even bigger ships in this fanon universe.

You are right, no force is infinite. There are limits to the Shivans. But there is no way of knowing what those limits are.

Everything we've seen so far points towards the Shivans operating on scales that are quite literally unfathomable. How can you fight an enemy that has demonstrated the ability to overpower you whenever it chooses? How can you hope to defeat an enemy that has no known fixed bases? No known infrastructure? That has demonstrated abilities far above your own?

You can quite safely assume that the Shivans have the resources to wipe out humanity in a week, if they are feeling lazy.

... ugh ... Why turn the UEF into wannabe-Culture?

Because a) we can b) the Culture is awesome and c) because we can.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Let us not forget that if the Vishnans truly wanted to save us, they could have done so already. Let us not forget that the Vishnans allowed the Shivans to destroy Vasuda Prime and Earth in the alternate universe and allowed billions to perish somewhat needlessly.

The Vishnans probably have some hidden agenda. Hell, they're practically on first-name basis with Shiva.
Then I suggest you to replay AoA. The Vishnans didn't even know of the existence of the Terrans and the Vasudans before they contacted Bei. In the same way, if the Vishnans in Sanctuary's universe and in ours can't communicate in any way, the Vishnans probably don't know about us yet - unless they have been in contact with Ubuntu leaders/Vasudan prophets, but that's another matter.

That the Vishnans have their own agenda, hell yes. Like the Shivans, we know literally nothing about them. But they have saved the 14th BG and the Sanctuary because humanity had showed "potential" - and not even in their universe ! And then they say "We will meet again when your people are ready". Clearly, they are disposed to help us again if we show we deserve it - if we consider that the Vishnans in our universe and in Sanctuary's have a similar agenda.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras