Author Topic: Old Xcode project abandonment  (Read 2224 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Old Xcode project abandonment
Ok, I'm about ready to abandon the old Xcode project, and Xcode3 support.  It has issues with the upcoming Valathil code, Xcode 3 won't compile Eli2's WebUI standalone code, and it's less optimized than the newer Xcode4 project file (which I've actually upgraded with Xcode 5 now).  I'm tired of maintaining it and plan on moving OS X nightlies to the newer project file, so if anyone else feels we need to keep it around, please let me know.  A major difference is that it still compiles PPC/i386, whereas the new file is i386/x64.  So we'd lose PPC support and gain 64bit binaries, without making any changes to the project files at least.  We'd also be using the newer SDKs officially and I have a feeling we'll need to do this anyway for the new SDL stuff.  So please weigh in if you have support or objections for this.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Echelon9

Re: Old Xcode project abandonment
No issues from me as another OS X dev.
There was a survey done a little while ago seeking how much pain would be occasioned by dropping PPC support. Even then it was pretty minor.
Keep in mind this period is the time to consider breaking changes. We have a stable 3.7.0 build out there that draws a line in the sand on support.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That's the idea.  Got a lor of architecture related stuff to catch up on.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Since my MBP is still running Snow Leopard, dropping Xcode 3 support makes me want to :hopping: because it means I'll need to upgrade to Mountain Lion which'll require repartitioning my drive and re-installing ALL THE THINGS for my triple boot setup. :blah:

But I admit the change is for the greater good, and I needed to rectify some bad partitioning decisions from a few years back anyway.

EDIT: wxL's OS X builds are currently made using the 10.5 SDK, although if we switch to Xcode 4, I guess I might as well use the 10.7 SDK, meaning anyone running Snow Leopard or earlier will get to enjoy using Soulstorm's launcher.