Author Topic: Just Another Day: Just Another Discussion Thread  (Read 139328 times)

Offline Axem

Just Another Day: Just Another Discussion Thread
This was the original JAD2.21 release post, but now its a general discussion thread!

Please post your thoughts about the campaigns, as well as silly suggestions, bug reports and one true pairings.

Hidden Text: Original Release Post • Show

Just Another Day is a series of parody campaigns based on FreeSpace and other related Sci-Fi concepts. Just Another Day 1, 2 and 3 feature the unfazeable Alpha 1 and FRED, god of this universe as they fight for truth, justice and the proper way campaigns should be made. These campaigns can be played here!

The Just Another Day 2.2 Series takes place after JAD2, when FRED gets cast into another dimension due to events that transpired there! Without FRED, the Just Another Day Reference Bible is up for grabs, and the poor souls who Beta Tested the series want it for themselves.

Only one girl can save the universe from these suddenly appearing demigods, mysterious shadowy councils and internet in-jokes. And that girl is... 19th century English Computer Programmer Forerunner, Augusta Ada Lovelace! Or some ditz named Holley. Whoever's available.

It's a weird world full of references from other FreeSpace campaigns, anime and anything else that happened across my bizarre mind. So I invite you to help Holley and her friends make the most of an exciting adventure to save their universe and, if they have time, find true love.

This is part 1 of probably 3 parts. Here Holley learns what it means to be a hero, why you should make friends, and why carrot cake is so delicious.

If you've played an earlier LEAKED BETA version before, there have been some changes to this new version. Here's a few new things that changed between then and now:
  • Updated graphics (skyboxes, beams, models, mainhalls)
  • Full color head anis featuring original art for the main characters (hand crafted by Spoon)
  • Interactive campaign map
  • Refined certain gameplay feature such as the Recettear store
  • Journal Screen with some bonus stories after the main campaign is finished
  • Added "Visual Novel" scenes for a few missions
  • Slightly altered gameplay/balance for a few bosses
  • Subtly edited text featuring 15% more laughs

Specific Weapon Changes (mostly affects JAD:XA at the moment)
  • Ahketon Leech - Subsystem damage increased
  • Starlance - Damage Increased, Power Consumption increased
  • Rockeye MMM - Now only fires a swarm of 25 (instead of 100 (though JAD:XA had it at 25 as well)), fire wait is now just 6s (from 15s), damage is reduced by half
  • Africanized Hornet - Now half of the child hornets will inherit the parent target, the other half still look for things to sting. Firewait increased, damage slightly increased as well
  • Twisterado - Damage radius increased, blast force increased.

Required Build:
3.7.2 Final ONLY
Nightly builds post-3.7.2 will not work (yet). Sorry for the inconvenience!

Other Requirements:
2014 MediaVPs
(Due to other mods I use, cockpit mods will probably not work correctly)

Download:
Use the FSO Installer! (Much ease. Very one-click.)
Advanced users can download the archive here. Just throw the contents in a folder called /JAD2-2/.

If you have an existing installation, I would recommend you delete the old one first! Please make sure jad2-21-core.vp, jad2-21-missions.vp, and 1_jad2-21-ova1.vp are gone. The installer should remove those for you, but check anyway!

Also Xtreme Arcade now uses JAD2.21 as a parent mod, so you can go back and forth between JAD2.21 and JAD:XA without even needing to exit FreeSpace. You will need to re-download JAD:XA though, but it’s a lot smaller now!

Pictures:

Videos:
Mission 2b:
Interactive Campaign Map:

Please let me know what you think! If you have any questions for me or for the nutcases that star in the campaign, feel free to ask!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 09:55:39 pm by Axem »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: RELEASE - Just Another Day 2.21: You Are (Not) Alpha 1
*glee* 

Can't wait to try the new version out ;)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Message portraits in color?! What sort of times do we live in now?!?!
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline CKid

Holy ****, the campaign map is so ****ing cool! Its almost like playing a different game at times.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Eratharon

• Cocky Pilot
Oh Stars YES! YES!
-Woohoo new campaign! No time to play? ****!!

-Why in the bloody hell is command only giving Colossus ONE wing of bombers against the Sathanas?!

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
This was a wonderful replay of an excellent mod. I loved all the subtle (and not so subtle) differences in this version.  :)
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I will get to this at some point I hope. ..
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Axem

Message portraits in color?! What sort of times do we live in now?!?!

Weeeelcome, to the woooorld of tomooorrrrooooww...!

Holy ****, the campaign map is so ****ing cool! Its almost like playing a different game at times.

Thank you!

This was a wonderful replay of an excellent mod. I loved all the subtle (and not so subtle) differences in this version.  :)

Glad you loved it! :)

I hope you approve of the message portraits I chose for you and FireSpawn...! ;)

This has changed way more from beta than I expected. And there are a number of things I didn't even know were possible. For example, the moving arms of Cain cruiser!!! WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?!

Overall, a pure work of art, Axem!  :pimp: You really are the shining light in demonstrating new SCP features once again.

Offline Eratharon

• Cocky Pilot
Okey Dokey! So I played through it multiple times and I can safely say I am very satisfied with it. Big game companies should take note about the term Beta and Release from you because this amount of polish is not present in today's games. Campaign was awesome, Epsilon 1's stabbed toe must've been painful, still trying to beat the damned endless gauntlet so I still have things to do with this little gem. Another frakking masterpiece from Axem. Thanks for filling my boring little grey life with just the right amount of humor, sillyness, laughter, over the top bosses and most importantly beamzzz. (There are never enough beamzzz) Now I'm waiting for Alpha 1 x Holley fanfictions mwahahahahahaha

Frak yes!

Edit: Oh and thanks for notifying me about the installer. Somehow skipped that announcement and only found out now that SCP has one.
-Woohoo new campaign! No time to play? ****!!

-Why in the bloody hell is command only giving Colossus ONE wing of bombers against the Sathanas?!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Quote from: Axem

I hope you approve of the message portraits I chose for you and FireSpawn...! ;)

Can has screen ie?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Axem

Okey Dokey! So I played through it multiple times and I can safely say I am very satisfied with it. Big game companies should take note about the term Beta and Release from you because this amount of polish is not present in today's games. Campaign was awesome, Epsilon 1's stabbed toe must've been painful, still trying to beat the damned endless gauntlet so I still have things to do with this little gem. Another frakking masterpiece from Axem. Thanks for filling my boring little grey life with just the right amount of humor, sillyness, laughter, over the top bosses and most importantly beamzzz. (There are never enough beamzzz) Now I'm waiting for Alpha 1 x Holley fanfictions mwahahahahahaha

Frak yes!

Edit: Oh and thanks for notifying me about the installer. Somehow skipped that announcement and only found out now that SCP has one.

I am honored to make your day.

Can has screen ie?

Nnnnnoppppeeee...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

Can has screen ie?

Nnnnnoppppeeee...

You'll just have to download and play it Dekker  ;7
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Just download the mod Dekker.

Also:
11/10, Would Pirate again.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Man i havent played in ages, a little rusty.
None the less this is EPIC!!!!!!!!!! I love the changes you made from the Beta.
Honestly you can hardly tell (apart from the models) that it is a FreeSpace game. All the features you have introduced give a great element to the story telling.
Excited for JAD 2.22 now :D
Also any chance eventually of re-remastering the original trilogy with some of the new features?

Edit: Is that a upgraded Volition Bravo's I saw......cause that is doubly awesome
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 05:35:21 am by Boomer20 »
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline Axem

Glad you loved it. :)

It's unlikely I'll update the original trilogy aside from bug fixes. Original trilogy JAD is about going nuts with mostly retail assets (Shivans on a Plane is the only exception). New trilogy JAD is about going nuts with every element possible!

Also its not really a new Volition Bravos. The pirate ship is from Kingdom Hearts 2 (which someone else on the internet had ripped), so its not really an "original model".

Hi friends,

I can not start the game with the following engines on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit:
3.7.1 64bit self-compiled
3.7.1_20140903_r11062
3.7.2_RC4
I can start it with 3.7.2_RC4-debug, but it crashes. Log attached.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Axem

Code: [Select]
ASSERTION: "vm_vec_mag(plane_normal) > 0.999f && vm_vec_mag(plane_normal) < 1.001f" at vecmat.cpp:106
This looks like the problem... but it's vague enough that I have no idea what's causing it...

Could you try deleting these two files?

Found root pack '/home/oliver/Freespace2/JAD2-2/1_jad2-21-ova1.vp' with a checksum of 0x1f0528c9
Found root pack '/home/oliver/Freespace2/JAD2-2/jad2-21-core.vp' with a checksum of 0xa0c53cca

They're leftovers from the old installation, and while they're probably not the cause, but they might cause conflicts later... :( It still might be worth a try.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Maybe also remove this command line flag:

-mipmap

Also, I've got the new JAD running on Mint17 which is practically ubuntu 14.04.  I do have a newer video card though (GTS 450) which supports OGL 4.4.0.
----
----

Hi,

removing "mipmap" didnt work, but renaming those files to "*.bak". 3.7.1 self compiled.

Thanks for your help