Author Topic: FRED?  (Read 21331 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:lol: wait... I DO NOT PISS MY PANTS.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I dunno. My pic proves otherwise... :nervous:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
*gives Raa the finger*
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
quit the spam.  before goob bans us all
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I dunno. A banning would probably help my social life verily.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
:sigh:

I tried your build of FRED under Linux with wine...it tells me it can't be run from a root directory.
-C

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by PhReAk
quit the spam.  before goob bans us all
*finger hovers over ban button*

:drevil:

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Goob really does hate us all. :O

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
OK... shutting up now. :nervous:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
OK, there's a weird thing going on with subobject rendering and alpha textures.  Now, under 3.6.5 and the LOD rendering distances, unless you got to point-blank, you would never see anything of Bob's Deimos but its LOD1 mutli-part turrets.  On the other hand, Bob's Hercules displayed apparently normally under 3.6.5, because you were always seeing LOD1.  If you zoom in so that LOD0 is visible, suddenly the ship disappears and all you see is the cockpit sub-object.  Now, since you've reverted to the previous LOD viewing distances, the LOD0 of the Deimos is now typically visible, but the LOD0 of Bob's Hercules only displays the cockpit sub-object.  Also, the alpha textures on the Deimos are completely invisible and you can see right though the ship there.  I don't suppose that these will be easy to fix eh?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Aren't LOD levels controlled by both the table, and the slider in the options windw?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Not in FRED, it's always been an arbitrary constant there.  The problem is that the Herc uses tga textures, which FRED cannot load.  The result is an invisible ship.  You really should have low-quality pcx placeholders for any in-game graphic besides effects, if just to make FRED happy.  I'll bet the wireframe shows up fine.  Or it crashes, because wireframing a high-poly ship is apparently something the render engine cannot do.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
something else they need to fix. :D

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by StratComm
Not in FRED,  

Ah. I'm terribly unfamiliar with fred, these days.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Why Fred and FS2 don't share a common render engine is a little beyond me (not from a SCP standpoint, but from a FS2 one).  I do understand that it was a non-advertised and virtually unsupported bonus, at least in theory, and its development would have been secondary to that of FS2 proper, but come on.  Could the devs have not at least used the same rendering code that they did for the game to make it work?  ST:Armada's editor mode that lets you use the engine to make a map seems so much easier to keep working than a seperate rendering package.  What WMC's working on with his Lab mode is close, but I guess it'd take too radical a restructuring of FRED code to do it.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Err... I see the menus, I see the buttons... but I don't see the display window. I used -fredhtl and all - anything else I might be doing wrong?

NM, fixed, though Phreak I have a new bug for you. Running FRED with non crash causing table bugs (ie. the ones you can OK past) cause this bug. You've gone and made me fix my tables. Bastard. :p
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 04:01:56 am by 302 »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
make sure you're using -jpgtga before attempting to use models with JPG or TGA textures.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Fred supports jpgtga?  Cool.  Now we just need a Fred launcher.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Works pretty good now. That's really enjoyable working with a correct line of view (mean the y-axis thing), thanks Phreak (and of course all others involved) :)

Since the hard bugs are now solved, can we expect the small but very annoying ones be eradicated in the near future (meaning the "loosing of wing-edit departure-target", the "loosing of wingmen-entries" (both happen when either the ship is moved, or you skip through ships-and wingedit) and also the possibilty to alter the enemy secondary weapons in type and amount ? (or is this error related to all ships, don't know right now )

I know, I know, I should be grateful for what I get today, but I couldn't helped myself and had to ask :D
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.