Author Topic: FRED?  (Read 21321 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by StratComm
Now we just need a Fred launcher.

why don't they make one? then i might get FRED_Open to reneder everything.

i don't get a layout of the mission area, just the toolbars. that's what i get with 3.6+.

oh and can anybody give me a d/l link for FRED_Open 3.0 and 3.5? i searched and looked at the site, and i couldn't find it.

apparently, one of those (i forgot which one) works on my comp.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Cobra

i don't get a layout of the mission area, just the toolbars. that's what i get with 3.6+.

I had this probalem as well. Make sure you have nice, clean, bugless tables. If neccesary, extract a new set from root.vp to confirm it'll fix your problem. If it doesn't, then, err... tis a new bug I guess.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Hm, has someone else noticed entire system-freezes when Fred tries to open or save missions, which had still errors in it (like a messed up player-ship for example) ? I'm getting these quite often with this fred-version.

(I can't even access the taskmanager anymore to end the application, the keyboard is blocked. Funny thing, the mouse still moves, but the desktop is not accessable, means frozen).
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Slasher

Backgrounds don't show up when using this build with The Babylon Project 3.1.  Could it be a mod specific problem by any chance?

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Originally posted by Slasher
Backgrounds don't show up when using this build with The Babylon Project 3.1.  Could it be a mod specific problem by any chance?

use the "-jpgtga" command line
If you load a mission with a background, it won't show up until you open the background editor.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I'm still not seeing backgrounds though.  Not Lightspeed's, not the stock ones, nothing.  I get the suns though without a problem.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Jake101

Again, any chance of knowing why the new SEXP's are not working or perhaps some info on how they work?
-Jake101
Ferrium is Pwnage.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Which new SEXP's aren't working?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The SEXP problems are probably because I updated/modified some of the SEXPs I already added, but didn't adequately test 'em when I did that (or never really got them completely tested in the first place.) This is one of the reasons why recent builds are posted...a new build is added and a coder wants to show it off and get a little extra testing done on the side.

Meh.

If you can get some kind of list of problems (even a works-doesn't work list), that'd be nice.

*starts*
The documentation for show-subtitle is completely FUBAR'd. ;)

General overview of how stuff works -

camera SEXPs set the camera position. Does some fancy smooth rotation stuff. Call reset-camera when you're done. Player controls still work, the camera just changes, so you should probably use player-use-ai or something.

set-fov and reset-fov change the field of view and reset it to default instantaneously.

show-subtitle is supposed to spit some text out (fade it in and out, actually, at a rate you specify).

lock-perspective forces the camera to one of the specified ones, eg the in cockpit one.

set-time-compression sets the time multiplication factor and how long it takes to get to that point, and if you want, you can force the time compression to a multiplier instantaneously. Both multipliers are in %s.

set-cutscene-bars and unset add and remove the letterbox bars. They're the same size as on the FS cutscenes. Rate is the one you specify.

fade-in and fade-out fade in and out respectively, at the rate you specify.
-C

Offline Slasher

Originally posted by StratComm
I'm still not seeing backgrounds though.  Not Lightspeed's, not the stock ones, nothing.  I get the suns though without a problem.

Same here.  Are there any other special tags I should have enabled/disabled to see backgrounds in the editor again?

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
whats your fred command line?
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
I am also getting no background, bar suns and stars.

I run it with no command lines, and with "-jpgtga".
I try to add them in myself, I try to load existing missions, no background. I open the editor and no change.

They work in FS2 of course.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Mine's just the exe with -jpgtga added (and a mod, but that doesn't affect anything)
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Odd. The background shows for me. And I don't have -jpgtga in the commandline.

Offline Slasher

I've got a shortcut to the FRED2Open exe that looks like this:

"C:\The Babylon Project\fred2_open_r_03202005.exe" -jpgtga

No backgrounds with or without the -jpgtga extension, but I can see suns and stars just fine.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
add the -fredhtl command line.  and make sure -mod XXX is the last parameter
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
-fredhtl makes them appear. Thanks a lot. :D This build pwns.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
yea i'll work on fixing that
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Slasher

-fredhtl worked for me too! :yes:  The backgrounds kinda move around when I look around though, like they're not "bolted down," but I can deal with that.   Thanks for the awesome build and help!  

Oh, what exactly does -mod XXX do?  Am I supposed to replace the XXX with something else or does this just tell FRED2Open that it sould look for a mod?