Author Topic: FRED?  (Read 21333 times)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i fixed the lack of backgrounds in non-htl, though i'm going to update the build whenever i manage to fix the briefing icon bug.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
I havn't really had any other problems with this yet. Guess I've got no excuse now...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Lol, my mistake.  I had no idea that Fred wasn't HTL by default now :rolleyes:  Yay for a fixed Fred!
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Slasher

Does anyone know why red nebulas might be showing up blue and vice versa in the editor?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
It's not doing it for me, so I don't know.  Are the source files (all of them) the same, especially if you have both PCX and TGA versions.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Slasher

Thanks, that's just the tip I needed.  I checked the .vp file and both a .jpg and another format of each background is included, so I removed the -jpgtga tag and kept the -fredhtl and now the graphics show as they should.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I was testing a bit in HTL mode, and there are still bugs... granted, I have only one to report, I just decided to pluralize it since that it is likely that this isn't the only one.  Anyway, on to the bug.  If you place a ship on the grid, and move it away from the center of the screen, the ship render won't move as fast or as far as the actual location.  It'll be rendered slightly off.  Just thought I'd mention that.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I'd be willing to bet that FRED isn't displaying jpegs correctly.  This isn't the first I've heard of this, and if taking jpgtga away renders them correctly, that just about points exclusively to the jpg display as the cause.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
uhm, where are the command lines for FRED_Open?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
If you mean where do you enter them, that's why I said we need a launcher.  To use a command line argument, the easiest thing to do is to create a shortcut to the exe you're using and opening it's properties window.  Then in the "target" field add the command lines you want to use after the executable name.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
I think he means, what are the available command lines.

I wouldn't mind knowing either.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
That too.  I think they are basically all graphics-related (or they should be) so there shouldn't be too many to worry about.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i want to switch to D3D rendering, what's the command line for that?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
nah, there's an error that says either switch to D3D rendering and something else.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
^ What he said.  FRED's OGL exclusive.  If for whatever reason your card can't handle OGL, you're stuck with software rendering.

Phreak, is there a reason my backgrounds turn into Shards-O-Death whenever I save?  Doesn't seem to effect anything else and it goes away as soon as I open the background window, but it looks mighty funky.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Cobra
nah, there's an error that says either switch to D3D rendering and something else.

I think this bug was fixed in CVS, so the next FRED build should work with you.
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
cool! that's actually the only thing keeping me from using SCP, is that one rendering problem. when will it be released?

Offline Jake101

Originally posted by WMCoolmon
The SEXP problems are probably because I updated/modified some of the SEXPs I already added, but didn't adequately test 'em when I did that (or never really got them completely tested in the first place.) This is one of the reasons why recent builds are posted...a new build is added and a coder wants to show it off and get a little extra testing done on the side.

Meh.

If you can get some kind of list of problems (even a works-doesn't work list), that'd be nice.

*starts*
The documentation for show-subtitle is completely FUBAR'd. ;)

General overview of how stuff works -

camera SEXPs set the camera position. Does some fancy smooth rotation stuff. Call reset-camera when you're done. Player controls still work, the camera just changes, so you should probably use player-use-ai or something.

set-fov and reset-fov change the field of view and reset it to default instantaneously.

show-subtitle is supposed to spit some text out (fade it in and out, actually, at a rate you specify).

lock-perspective forces the camera to one of the specified ones, eg the in cockpit one.

set-time-compression sets the time multiplication factor and how long it takes to get to that point, and if you want, you can force the time compression to a multiplier instantaneously. Both multipliers are in %s.

set-cutscene-bars and unset add and remove the letterbox bars. They're the same size as on the FS cutscenes. Rate is the one you specify.

fade-in and fade-out fade in and out respectively, at the rate you specify.

And basically - all of those are not working for me. :confused:
-Jake101
Ferrium is Pwnage.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
You need to be using a build that supports the SEXPs for them to work...the Cutscenes ones should definitely be implemented by the time of my tri-build, otherwise, look in the features list and see if they're listed in the build's thread.
-C