Author Topic: New Build (May 22)  (Read 8561 times)

Well, the semi-transparent Iceni thing I haven't been able to replicate even with all those same options.  If it pops up again I'll try to make a note of how/where it happened so I can test all that, but right now I'm wondering if maybe that bug was in my eyes.

The white textures replacing weapon shots is repeatable though, and occurs even if I turn off every SCP option.

Offline redmenace

I think it is the result of playing several missions back to back. I played the campaign from the beginning last night and ran across that bug as well.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
A weapons bug was fixed just after this build was released.  It was a problem if a weapon had an animated primary shot but not an animated glow.  When it tried to load the glow frame it would carry over the frame number and could find an image which didn't exist giving you a white square.  It if seems that only certain weapons are going white then that could be the problem.

This happens regardless of which options are enabled:

I get the white square effect most often in nebula missions. It has happened elsewhere. It also comes into play on the warp effect, as well as once or twice thruster glows. Once in a while it happens with explosions. Moving closer to the square will sometimes cause it to render the effects normally, so it possibly has something to do with distance. As of yet, the build has not crashed.
All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
And a laughing yarn from a merry fellow rover.
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
- JOHN MASEFIELD

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
The fix for lasers in nebula missions is going in CVS now.  I still haven't seen the white square problem though so I don't know if it's actually related to this same thing.  Looks like it might be for lasers at least the way it's described but it shouldn't help the warp or thruster problem.  This fix is only for nebula missions though and shouldn't affect any rendering issues in normal missions.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I think it may have to do with there not being enough memory for some things, or it's not getting to VRAM fast enough. (I have no idea whether OGL stops until something is finished loading or does it in parallel or not)

Or it could be a memory leak or something. :p
-C

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
How are the OGGs encoded?

If you were referring to TBP beta 3.2, then OggdropXPd was used. Maybe not the best possible choice for this, but it got the job done for this technological test. Next beta should use wavs again.
http://www.vorbis.com/files/1.0/windows/oggdropXPd.zip

Offline WMCoolmon

Well, I was referring more to whether or not they were variable bitrate, what quality, etc.

TBP has been the only people (AFAIK) having trouble with the OGG sounds (I've had no problems on this end, though I have yet to try this build or the latest CVS).
-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I can't anything wrong with the OGG code now.  I even converted ALL sounds to OGG just to test and everything worked perfectly whether it was interface, effect, voice or music.  Whatever the problem is it's not just a generic sound error.  Either WMCoolmon or myself would need tables and sample sounds to figure out what's going on.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I experience major problems with the newest build (see Mantis for details).
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline redmenace

You are aware of an parse error involving the interface.tbl and the debug build right?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline WMCoolmon

No, but I doubt I'll be working on it anytime soon. Things are busy right now. Unless it's something easy or the cause of graphics corruption w/ skins is discovered, the most I do will probably be to fix the lab. (It'll probably crash if you close a window right now).
-C

I am also getting the problem where effects turn into white blocks. It seems to happen when the ship they are coming from is off the screen.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellem
         "If you wish for peace, prepare for war."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by taylor
I can't anything wrong with the OGG code now.  I even converted ALL sounds to OGG just to test and everything worked perfectly whether it was interface, effect, voice or music.  Whatever the problem is it's not just a generic sound error.  Either WMCoolmon or myself would need tables and sample sounds to figure out what's going on.

I don't wish to offend your intelligence, but just to cover all possibilities... you did remember to alter the table file during this test to look for .ogg right?

The TBP Beta I'm testing, does have ogg versions of a few of the standard FS2 sounds.  I could extract one and put it up for you (with permission of TBP of course).  It would be simpler for you than downloading the entire Base just to access a few sound files.  If it doesn't work with the files I send you, then it means that the TBP encoding method is flawed in respect to how they should be encoded.  I would like to point out that there was one build that played oggs (at least for interface) under the TBP 3.2 Beta, but it would crash as soon as you try to get beyond the pilot select screen.  It was WMC's build of May 2nd.  Perhaps if you can discover why ogg works for this build, this problem can be solved.

Oh, and I too am getting white squares on things such as warp effects and explosions, from time to time.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic

I don't wish to offend your intelligence, but just to cover all possibilities... you did remember to alter the table file during this test to look for .ogg right?

Yeah and I made many of the sounds different from the original wavs just to make sure it was using them.  Everything got decoded, loaded, and played without a hitch.  There have been problems with the ogg code so I can deffinitely see why it didn't work but after a good bit of testing I haven't found anything else wrong.  That's not saying that there isn't a code error hiding in there some place but none of my tests have triggered it.

The TBP Beta I'm testing, does have ogg versions of a few of the standard FS2 sounds.  I could extract one and put it up for you (with permission of TBP of course).  It would be simpler for you than downloading the entire Base just to access a few sound files.  If it doesn't work with the files I send you, then it means that the TBP encoding method is flawed in respect to how they should be encoded.  I would like to point out that there was one build that played oggs (at least for interface) under the TBP 3.2 Beta, but it would crash as soon as you try to get beyond the pilot select screen.  It was WMC's build of May 2nd.  Perhaps if you can discover why ogg works for this build, this problem can be solved.

Ok, PM me for it if you don't already have my e-mail address.  Otherwise just send some files to me.  And if you don't send the tbl too then please be sure to tell me what those sound files are for.

I'm not sure about the differences in WMC's build, he'll have to answer that one.

Oh, and I too am getting white squares on things such as warp effects and explosions, from time to time.

Hmm, ok.  I'm going to release a test build with a bunch of bug fixes in it in an hour or two.  Look out for that and see if you keep having the same problems.  Also check the OGG issue again since I'm releasing two builds, one with the old DirectSound and one with OpenAL.  The code may be a little different between the two at this point since I've mainly been working with OpenAL.

Offline WMCoolmon

My builds have been OpenAL since it was implemented (I think), that might be why.
-C