Author Topic: 2008-03-05 Stable Branch - TrackIR  (Read 12319 times)

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
2008-03-05 Stable Branch - TrackIR
Here's the latest build with TrackIR support. You TrackIR users can now rejoice and bask in your situational awareness. Freespace now supports 5 degrees of freedom (Pitch, Yaw, X, Y, Z). Though, the X, Y, Z TrackIR axes aren't very noticeable unless you have cockpits enabled.

Non-TrackIR users should also be interested in this build. I implemented neat little features that'll make looking around a lot easier. The orthogonal padlock hat views don't instantly switch, but they smoothly slew. Even more notable is the target padlock view feature which allows you to fix your viewpoint on any targeted ship or subsystem. Very useful for neutering starships and dogfighting.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that free looking slewing commands have been removed in this build because of the pilot file corruption issues. I doubt anybody will critically miss it but FYI.

Note to TrackIR users: included in this package is a DLL file. This must be in your directory where the executable resides or else TrackIR support won't be enabled.

I hope I don't kill my webspace bandwidth at my university's CS Department :\
http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~chos/fs2_open_trackir.zip
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 04:25:00 am by Swifty »

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: 2008-03-05 Stable Branch - TrackIR
Link doesn't work... :(

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Now I've to get a Track IR -_- to my retailer if I could find it. Otherwise, I have to pay online.

Offline Swifty

Link doesn't work... :(
My fault. I forgot to change the permissions for that file. The link should work now.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
thank you! :)

thank you swifty for your release!

i couldn t wait more for the track ir support :D

but i got one question :
-i've noticed a strange framerate issue (i used before the 3_6_10-20071028T build and i didn't had this) ) the game have many freeze with this build on my computer ( i ve try it with freespace2 and btrl mod and the same problems appear), is it a known issue or does it come from my computer?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 04:19:39 pm by Reprobator »
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I got it !! I got IT !! I have a track ir with the Track clip. But, well, this build has sever framerate issue with my spec (Play BTRL with a 8800 GTX, 4 GB RAM, Core 2 Duo E6600 and under Vista on Open GL). I've got around 4 to 8 fps.

same i used to say i run athlon64 3800+ 2 gigabyte ram and x1900xt graphic card under xp and latest catalyst 
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)

Offline Swifty

That's very odd. My system is worse than that of the two above posters. Can you guys try playing with the TrackIR device disabled or temporarily removing the DLL from the root directory and tell me how the performance is? I can't imagine any of the stuff I added is very CPU intensive.

i ve try without the dll and the issue was the same, i ve try with the original build delivered with the btrl demo and  it was the same.
I just got my track ir on monday and well it s the only thing that moved on my compter that week, sunday i use to have very good framerate... so maybe i should take a look on my open gl drivers

update : It was the latest atioglxx.dll that was weird. i ve copy  a 2 years old one and now everything seems to be smooth with the track ir build

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 02:10:11 am by Reprobator »
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Ok, I move the dll away, and I got a better framerate (40 to 90 fps).

Offline Swifty

Ok, I move the dll away, and I got a better framerate (40 to 90 fps).
That's interesting. What model of TrackIR do you have? Have you tried this build with just XP?

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I use the Track IR v 4.0 with the Track Clip and nope, didn't try playing with Win XP.

Offline Lepton

How might one get this working with BtRL?  I have TrackIR 4 Pro running under Vista Home Premium.  I replaced the exe with the one in the zip file and placed the dll in the directory of the exe.  My presumption is that I need to activate a cockpit view in some manner.  From what I have seen in videos, this is amazing work.  A monumental increase in the immersion experience.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
You just need to create a modular table and include the necessary data with the show ship flag for the ship and you will have your cockpit view.

So go into your data folder, then in the table folder (create it, if there is none), create a file call "cockpit-shp.tbm" (without the quote) and put the following text :

#Ship Classes
$Name: @Colonial Viper Mark II
+nocreate
$Flags: ( "show ship" )

$Name: @Colonial Viper Mark VII
+nocreate

$Name: @Cylon Raider
+nocreate
#End

Offline Lepton

Didn't seem to work.  Still no cockpit to be seen.  Is there a command line flag that I need to set or a mod that I need to activate?  I am getting the quick view slewing but still no TrackIR response.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
oups the tables folder must have the "s" in "table".
About the Track IR, you need to use the build below and place the dll in the same place as the build. Within the launcher, select the build, and if I remembered correctly there is a checkbox to check. But don't forget to launch the Track IR software.

Offline Lepton

I've got the cockpits but still no TrackIR functionality.  Is there something I need to set in the launcher to get it to work??

Lepton, it simply worked "out of the box" for me.  Are you sure the TrackIR software is up before you launch FS2?  Also, I believe you have to use the latest beta version [of said TrackIR software], otherwise it won't recognize FS2 (shown under "Beyond the Red Line").

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you need the build in this post:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,52542.msg1061188.html#msg1061188
then you need to update the games list in your track ir software, btrl should come up, if not theres a games patch on natural point's website. also be sure to select the build in the launcher.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN