Hosted Projects - FS2 Required > Between the Ashes

Performance and FPS issues

(1/4) > >>

McFettnippel:
Hello there,

I've been playing FreeSpace since I was a little kid nearly 20 years ago, but just recently discovered that there is this awesome community with loads and loads of new content for one of my all-time favorite games. I highly appreciate all the work that went into all these mods! But, not having played this game in a decade and never stumbling across this community, I am a big noob regarding all modding topics.

Now on to my problem: I am playing on a rather strong system and I am experiencing very bad framerates in most of the campaign missions in the Between the Ashes mod. In other mods like Blue Planet or ST:R I always stayed at my framecap of 120 fps, regardless of the situations or the amount of ships I encountered. In BtA however, many of the missions seem to involve a lot of ships and much debris, and that almost always kills my fps and brings it down to around 30, which is barely playable (at least in my experience). I do sometimes reach 120fps at the start of missions when there's hardly any ship around, but that changes rather quickly.

I already played around with the various graphic settings in the wxLauncher and ingame, to no avail. My GPU usage hovers around 20% and I got one CPU Core going around 50-70%, but there is no obvious bottleneck there; though the CPU usage fluctuates a lot, it never reaches higher 80's and the GPU is nearly always constant at those 20%. I even disabled CPU and GPU overclocks to see if that would help any, but it didn't.

So my question is: What do I do wrong? Is there any settings I have missed which are framerate-killers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am playing on FS2 Open 3.8.0 AVX 64-bit and using the latest wxLauncher. I have downloaded the entire mod library which was available during the FS2 Open Installer configuration, so all assets should be available.

My system:
i7 6700k @ 4,6 GHz, never reaching above 65°C
32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Asus STRIX 980ti @ 1490 MHz, never reaching above 75°C
Corsair HX1200i 1200W PSU, so no power delivery concerns
and a BenQ XL2720t 120Hz monitor (hence the framecap)

I hope I provided all the information that is needed, but if there's anything I missed, feel free to tell me!  :)

Thanks a lot for this awesome mod. Cheers!

AdmiralRalwood:

--- Quote from: McFettnippel on December 19, 2017, 12:02:24 pm ---I hope I provided all the information that is needed, but if there's anything I missed, feel free to tell me!  :)

--- End quote ---
Almost! Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

McFettnippel:
Sorry, I have used the search for anything relating to performance issues, but I missed the "Read before posting" topic which I probably should've read  :sigh:

I've attached the log. Though when following the instructions, I thought I'd find it in the Appdata\Roaming folder, not in the game folder. Did I use the older version of FSO Installer? I downloaded it directly from the website, though I didn't use the Java application, but rather the .exe (I don't like Java  :nervous: ).

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

AdmiralRalwood:

--- Quote from: McFettnippel on December 20, 2017, 07:43:18 am ---Though when following the instructions, I thought I'd find it in the Appdata\Roaming folder, not in the game folder. Did I use the older version of FSO Installer?

--- End quote ---
No, you're just using portable mode (which obviously changes where files get written to).

First thing to check would be disabling shadows; they're easily the biggest performance drain, and the situation you described ("lots of ships and lots of debris") sounds like a worst-case-scenario for shadow rendering.

mjn.mixael:
I don't have much to add here. He's on an i7 6700k with a 980ti. It should be able to handle nearly anything we throw at it...

My computer is not quite that spec but it runs BtA just fine, with shadows. Of course I don't try to hit 120FPS with it, soooo. I think it hovers around 50-60 on my computer, but I'm unsure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version