Author Topic: Idea how to upgrade CMs and Flaks  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Idea how to upgrade CMs and Flaks
So this is my idea how to improve normal flak and countermeasure effects. Not of best quality but rather a 'proof of concept'.

Here is countermeasure data. It requires a small and extremely ugly model to function properly. It should function in CVS builds after 05/12 and provide every species a countermeasure to match their engine glows hopefully looking quite like flares used against heatseeking missiles.

And another attempt to make Flaks look a bit better. It needs IIRC mv_effects.vp to function (requires yellow_glow.<something> graphic file). I've tried to make it look like a single bolt with a little trail but i'm not sure if it will look like that with low FPS (~ 20). It also needs a build with proper tbm support.

Please give some feedback about these. Oh and tbms should go to data/tables directory and model (.pof) to data/models directory.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: Idea how to upgrade CMs and Flaks
Well, I'm kind of biased for the countermeasure we have now, and the extremely-high-poly one by Firecrack in the FSUP forum. Mostly because both heat and aspect seeking missiles go after it.

The newest builds have countermeasures and weapons integrated, so you can use all the weapons fields with countermeasures...you might be able to do something interesting with that.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
did you ever code the interface to make countermeasures interchangeable in the loadout screen?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

Noop, just from ships.tbl, although someone (phreak?) did code it so that it'd be possible to do that, just needs the interface code and "$Allowed Countermeasures:"
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
would it be hard to do the same for turret weapons?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

Changing them via the interface? Probably. New art, screen code, and loading code would be needed. Not to say that it isn't doable, but it's something that would require a fair amount of effort to do.
-C

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Just out of interest, has anyone tried the flaks? Or the countermeasure?

EDIT: Just noticed by myself... That has really nice sound in it ;). Thanks admins! :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 10:45:05 am by Wanderer »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Screenshots.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I would take if i could. :( OGL screenshots are pure green and DX part doesn't really work at all.  :(

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
OK, finally i got build with functional screenshot capability. So here goes three pics

Here the shot on the left is my new flak shot (without comparisons to the retail version) and on the right (partially under the name tag) is normal laser shot with glows. (dotted arrow points to flak expl)

Here is retail Flak shot. Not the retail flak explosion. Those two blobs are a single flak cannon shot

Here again flak shot in the left and also right under the reticle. Normal cannon shot between them.

EDIT: Added retail pic
EDIT: Edited pictures
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 10:55:28 pm by Wanderer »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Perhaps a bit hasty but.. ..after 50+ views and no replies  :doubt:

:bump:
Flaks:

So, has anyone tried it?
Or do you have any opinions about it?
Or should i just shut up and drop the whole idea?

Some bit more gifted graphic artist could easily do a better job but IMHO even this looks a lot better than the original 'two-blob explosion' thing.

Countermeasures: Flares

When launched from Terran craft

When launched from Vasudan craft

Ulysses set as Vasudan after firing a countermeasure

Those countermeasures with their glows are a just bit smaller than the normal countermeasures but without glows they are much smaller so that in-game the effect is about the same. These were not ment to be the replacement for the current CMs but rather as an alternative...

Offline WMCoolmon

I couldn't tell which flak was which in the pics you posted. :nervous:
-C

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Yeah didn't get it quite mehself.

Far as the CM's go, I'm biased towards the HTL canon, but I doubt that there's anything wrong with having those glowy ones as an alternative for campaign people.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I added more information to the pics. Now those pics should be more informative. I was aiming for the normal primary weapon looks as in real life flak shot are not much different from other ammunition.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I'll test the flak. Hum, i can't wait. ^^

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Looks pretty cool. I've not tested it yet to be honest, but I will.  :yes:
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
IMO the flak looks too much like the lasers.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Well, from the screenshots I thought it looked like crap.  Perhaps not "crap", but in line with Raa's comment at least.  In-game though it looks really good.  The screenshots really don't do the effect any justice since it does look too much like normal laser fire.  While in game it's much smaller and rather subtle but acts as a much nicer and smoother effect.  It definitely (to me at least) looks better than the old effect.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Well, i was going after kind of a normal primary weapon looks so that is really not so suprising.. Problem is that AFAIK i can only use particle spews and trails with flaks so the options for the effects are limited.

Particle spew can not be modified to look as a single bolt, unless the appearance time is set so low that only single frame will appear (empirical knowledge). If the effect is too small (as it is with the flaks) there will appear gaps between the particle spew frames (as it does with retail flak). I even tried raising EFFs framerate into extremely high numbers to 'bridge' the gaps but it didn't help. So from what i have learned and tested the best option is to use very short particle spew appearance times (-> single frames) combined with trails.

And i'm not really a master of taking screenies  :doubt:

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Agree, this effect is better tha the MediaVP. I would prefer a similar flak effect like the BSG TC.