Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 270071 times)

Offline Aesaar

Quick, everyone post your favored mech build!

Catapult-C1
Engine: XL300
Structure: Endo-Steel
Armor: Completely maxed out Standard

Weapons:
2x Large Laser (LT, RT)
2x Medium Laser (CT)
2x SSRM-2 (LA, RA), 1 ton ammo (RL)
AMS, 2 tons ammo (LL, RL)

18 Double Heat Sinks, 2 in each side torso, 1 in each arm, rest in engine
1 Jump Jet (LT)

Tonnage: 59.5 tons, no criticals remaining

I could fit in 2 more heat sinks if I dropped Endo-Steel, but I'm still considering heavier missile possibilities.

Runs very cool.  My Large Lasers, used alone, are almost completely heat neutral, even on Caustic. Moves at a decent speed (74.something) and is very, very tough.  Tears Heavies and Mediums to pieces trivially easily, and can handle Jenners and Awesomes with effort, and the latter usually results in heavy damage. Struggles against Atlases in 1v1.  Gausspults always need to be dealt with carefully.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:04:20 pm by Aesaar »

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Preferred build of the moment:

Dragon-1N
Engine: Standard 300
Structure: Endo Steel
Armor: 352 points, thin in LT (no weapons installed there)

Weapons:

2x AC/2 (RA) + 4 tons ammo (2 RT, 2 in each leg)
1x Medium Laser (LA)
1x AMS (RT) + 1 ton ammo (RT)

CASE (RT)
3 SHS, 2 in engine and one in CT

Operational Notes:  Does not hit hard, but excels at fire support/distraction.  Good for suppressing sniper 'mechs and making return fire difficult for targets that your team is massing fire upon.  If you can avoid drawing too much attention to yourself, you can wear enemies down while they're too busy chasing the rest of your teammates.  If necessary, can be used to draw attention of heavier mechs away from injured teammates, buying them time to deliver killing blows or to retreat.  Can overheat with extended bombardment, but for the most part heat is not a major factor, and if it does shut down it comes back quickly, usually about 3 seconds.

Tell me, are DHS and/or XL Engines worth it?
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Aesaar

Depends.  XL is pretty expensive to repair, but the weight gains are really, really nice.  On a mech with small or difficult to hit side torsos (like the Dragon and Catapult), an XL is perfect.  But, like I said, expensive to buy and expensive to repair. If I get cored, repairing usually costs me between 60,000 and 80,000.

DHS is decent, but only the 10 that are included in the engine are actually proper double heat sinks (dissipating .2 heat per second).  The others only dissipate .14 HPS.  It really comes down to how much crit space you have available.

Also, thoughts on the Cataphract: CT is a goddamn barn.  Head too.  CTF-4X has an absolute top speed of 59km/h (with the best possible engine, which is a 255).  Other variants can go faster.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:00:29 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
Centurion CN9-A: Standard 200 engine, Endo-Steel internals, just the ten engine-integrated heat sinks (doubled), 100 rounds of Ultra AC/5 ammo (with CASE in my LT), two M-Lasers in my CT, 1 LRM-5 with 360 rounds (for those times I just want to piss people off or give an illusion there's a pathetic missile pest), and an SRM-6 with 200 rounds (my oddball "if crap goes horribly wrong" weapon).

Right now, the thing that's frequently pissing me off is that even though the Ultra/5 has a 25% chance of jamming... it jams frequently for me after plugging one round. If my luck holds, I tend to soften an Atlas or a Cat with a lot of rounds before I die. (Makes me wish I rolled a 12.)

I just had one of those sad days when three people from my side disconnected (one I knew was a crash being one of my squadron leaders on a TS channel) in Snow Colony, four of us tried to sneak through the lake to their base, then we got cornered and slaughtered.

EDIT: I swapped the Ultra AC/5 with an LB-10X AC. I can at the least soften enemies very efficiently before dying.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:37:31 pm by Black_Yoshi1230 »
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The new map is stunningly beautiful and makes for an actually-different experience from the regular version, and hey, it's the MW2 Betty again.

Also LRM buff is good for Catapult drivers. I'm useful again.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Yeah I think the new stuff is pretty cool.  Also started running a Commando with 3 SSRM2s and 1 Medium Laser.  It's fun to sneak up on heavies and assaults and unload into their rear armor... hehe.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I giggled when I read "unload into their rear-".  :lol:

I am feeling equal parts shame, disappointment in myself and adolescent humour.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Aesaar

I've been getting very good results with a 2xAC/5 2xUAC/5 Cataphract-4X build.  The UAC/5s jam all the time, but the standard ones pick up the slack well enough.  And since the whole community is whining about useless UAC/5s, I don't foresee this build getting weaker in the future.

4xAC/2 isn't bad either, but runs quite hot.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Yeah I figured that would be a dangerous thing to post but unavoidable.  I guess I could've said 'shoot them in the back' but how bland is that?

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Quick, everyone post your favored mech build!

I've been running around in the Hunchback 4SP, fitted out with a pair of ssrms, two MLS on each hand, and a really honkin' big engine that gets my top speed up to about 88kph. I've finally almost got my controls worked out just how I want 'em.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Stock COM-2D, or was. Might have to change it up now that there's a lot more autocannon in play for knock.

A Feddie Story

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Stock COM-2D, or was. Might have to change it up now that there's a lot more autocannon in play for knock.

Don't jump too fast, the next patch is supposed to nerf autocannon impact effects.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

. . . and hey, it's the MW2 Betty again.

I don't think that's Carol Ruggier's voice you're hearing (or Allison I forgot-her-last-name from MW2 Mercs, otherwise, prove me wrong).

I sold my CN9-A for a CN9-AL, does more bread and butter work for me than I ever hoped (4x M-Pulse, LRM-10 and SRM-4, with really good coolant).

The thing's that's pissing me off is the memleaks (yellow screen, blocky text, 4 FPS being the most prominent issues). I may have a crap laptop (at least I can fight at 15 FPS), but even this plagues some of the people who have high-end towers.
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Lol yeah I have a crap laptop, too. The moment I shared it on the forums there was an instant hate surge from all the hardcore gamers.  I get by at 12 fps, but it makes locking on to Jenners with my SSRMs a pain in the arse.  I have to restart the client every 2 games to avoid memleaks, 4 fps or god forbid a BSoD.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
prove me wrong).

And lo, Viterbi said "Done."

Note that post is from a pre-current-patch time.

A Feddie Story

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
The new map is stunningly beautiful and makes for an actually-different experience from the regular version, and hey, it's the MW2 Betty again.

Also LRM buff is good for Catapult drivers. I'm useful again.

Totally agree with you. The new sky reminded me of a freespace skybox. I really like how the map looks "upside down" in that the snow on the ground glows bright while the night sky is dark with that beautiful aurora scraping across it. Really surreal and cool look.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Normally I get pissed off when I have to play the same map 3 times in a row, but Frozen City Night is just too damn cool.

Also, I have to say that while I originally disdained light mechs because of how difficult they are to pilot/stay alive in, I think I'm starting to get the hang of them.  I know that as a light I'm supposed to scout, but I'm kinda crap at it, and the Commando doesn't forgive mistakes easily; one step too far into your enemies' sight and you're eating lasers, shells and missiles for your last meal, and if you run afoul of enemy scouts, you can't really hold your own against anything heavier.  So I mostly just hang around the big boys, stay out of sight, and screen them from other lights, or if the environment is permitting I zig-zag throughout the fray and unleash 2-3 flights of SSRMs (9 if we multiply by the three launchers installed) at anything I can target.  No one wants to hit a puny Commando, and that's it's greatest advantage.  They ignore me long enough that I can drop their armor to orange if they're facing me, or open their structure to the rounds of my team's AC/20s if they show me their back.  And on good days I land finishing hits before any of the heavier guns have cycled.

Just had a game where a Jenner broke past our lines and made it to the base.  Earlier in the battle I ate two flights of LRM-20s in support of the main unit.  That bared the structure on both LT and RT, dropped CT to 50% armor and my RCT to 25%. Our foe wailed on the only other light mech even more.  I disengaged and arrived at base first. Immediately started harassing the Jenner, but with his speed he could out-turn me, so I wasn't able to do much to him.  When the other Commando arrived the Jenner split off to circle around and gain a better attack vector.  It worked, and he dropped my comrade as they closed on each other a second time.  Unfortunately for him, I followed him around and landed a few more missiles before he could face me.  He turned and lased out my LT, destroying my ML and a ton of SSRM ammo in the process.  To make matters worse, that shot put me down 2 heatsinks, and my mech already sweltered at 75% heat.  Fighting became a breakneck tango about the mining rig, and my ammo quickly depleted.  In desperation, I fired a flight before my heat had safely dissipated, and everything turned off.  The target lock I had so carefully maintained disappeared.  Unbeknownst to me, seconds before, he also overheated and couldn't evade the missiles.  In a satisfying burst of smoke they tore off his right leg.  After reacquiring target, I fired again, only to see two missiles launch instead of the usual six.  My heart sank with the 'Ammunition Depleted' message--no laser, no ammo, and a blood-red CT against a Jenner with 4 MPLs left. 

But then he exploded.

And we won.

First time I've ever successfully defended a base with next to no assistance.  Repair/Rearm was still 40k, but hey, it was a well fought match.  I'm just sad I didn't have time to praise the other team--they stayed toe-to-toe with us the whole way.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:59:15 pm by esarai »

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

Now with eight man teams and ECM cloud coverage, I'm afraid to say pure LRM boats aren't used as far as I saw all day today. I'm starting to frequently see six by six or K2 Laser-oriented Cats now.

With ECM coverage, it's starting to be the core of the fight (always take out their ECM-rigged and defend yours), and more or less, now you have to get clear visuals now to get a decent target lock. (I'm guessing information warfare is starting to be vital again.)

F___ing Atlases. Tricksey atlases! (you can bet if you see more than one Atlas, one of them is their ECM heart.) (Now they need to set a tonnage cap.)

Earlier tonight, there was an op in Frozen City Night, we were basically on 0-1, and when one of the guys on my side lucky-shotted a Commando to death (for 1-1), they basically rushed to our base, and we got to theirs, and we barely won on a capture by a second.

EDIT: Bought a Catapult K2 unit, 1 M-Pulse, 1 L-Pulse, 1 L-Laser, 1 ER L-Laser with 20 dual heat sinks. Frack. I need the dough so I can grind the Catapult and Centurion trees (epic time waster).

EVEN More Editz: Expect 12-man groups next January of February. Right now for teams, it's either up to 4 or exactly 8.

Oh, and...

I have to restart the client every 2 games to avoid memleaks, 4 fps or god forbid a BSoD.

Try deleting your Shaders folder every once in a while, that helps mitigate the issue a bit (it's at your MWO root directory/USER/Shaders). It will automatically be remade to give you the necessary files. Frankly, at least you're not one of the people who get so many CTD's upon loading...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:37:43 am by Black_Yoshi1230 »

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
jenners are op, nerf
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Jenners can't use ECM, so they pay a lot to be OP. :P