Author Topic: The search is over - Playnite universal game launcher  (Read 3319 times)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
The search is over - Playnite universal game launcher
A while back I was looking for a launcher that would show and launch all of my games, instead of having to check Steam, GOG Galaxy, Uplay, Origin, and whatever other locally installed games I had such as Crimson Skies, C&C3, etc.  The My Games tab of the Windows 10 Xbox app list some, but not all.  The game has to be pinned to the Start menu for the app to pick it up.  I've have mixed results adding non-Steam games to the Steam app.  I checked out Launchbox, but I don't remember why I wasn't crazy about it. 

I had stopped looking, but then today in a forum post on Ars Technica, someone mentioned Playnite.  This seems to be exactly what I was looking for.  On startup it has an import process that checks for the services above, and it will launch from the service if required.  You can scan any folder for games, and you can manually select games it does not recognize.  It can even display Steam, GOG, etc. games that are not currently installed.

Just thought I would share, in case anyone else is looking for anything similar.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: The search is over - Playnite universal game launcher
Does it require you to have the services themselves running?  E.g. do I then have to have Steam, Origin, GOG Galaxy, Epic, etc etc all running in background, or will it launch the service process and then the game?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
It does not seem to require them to be running, but it will open them if required to launch the game.  I just tried Destiny 2, and it launched Battle.net then the game itself.  Same with Watch Dogs and Uplay. 

I keep finding more features and settings to play with.  :)  I've also notice a few games the automatic scans did not pick up, but it is easy to add them manually.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Holy cow, great spot!!  Been using (rather, not using) LaunchBox, but this appears much more polished and the UI is a lot more pleasant.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Playnite is really nice and developing at a good pace. +1 to endorsements.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'll add a reminder to check this out.   Sounds like a win.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
I was just about to write that the only game I am aware of that I could not get it to recognize was Fortnite.  Then I checked for Playnite updates, and they have added an Epic Games launcher extension.  :)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I've been watching the development of this and I'm really pleased with the pace and solidness of new updates.

Now I just need it to cross-sync with Steam categories and include a "pick me a random game" button and I'm set.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I gave this a try and it decided because I live in China that I must want Chinese metadata even though my language option is set to English. I'll contact them about this bug in a bit.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
While I can add Knossos itself, I have not figured out a way to add Knossos-installed standalones like Diaspora.  But for my old pre-Knossos versions I can simply select the game's .exe to add to Playnite.