Author Topic: bsg-like eve fan trailer  (Read 6675 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: bsg-like eve fan trailer
Conan! What is best in life?

Supercap hotdrop.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
crash the node

fofofofofo

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Umm, can we skip the slaughtering and the driving them before us and just get to the lamentations of the women?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

No.  How can their women lament if their husbands and sons haven't been slaughtered and driven before us?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Umm, can we skip the slaughtering and the driving them before us and just get to the lamentations of the women?

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mikes

You probably wouldn't like EVE. I don't either. That doesn't diminish the fact that it's maybe the most important game in the world right now. I can't think of another that has come closer to the ideal notion of a parallel world you can live in and influence through your own hard work.

And here I'm gonna disagree with you, Batt, I cut my MMO teeth on this game and after 9 months and several corps, I found out a guy I respected and trusted was the leader of a pirate corp on his main account and had deliberately baited me out for a couple of his buddies.  To put it quite simply, you can't trust a single person in that game that you don't know in real life.  The environment that CCP has fostered in that game is so toxic that I can't describe it.  The players there are among the most base and unlikeable I've come across in an online game.  I dearly love the universe and how it's presented, it's a dark place, full of cool, interesting plots.  But the player base barely qualifies as human.  Setting foot outside the certain systems is akin to walking into Auchwitz, asking directions to the gas chamber and for a schedule of when would be the best time to go in and sit down.  I don't hate the game, I hate the people playing it.

I would disagree on a most fundamental level...  Eve's playerbase is very much human, which is the very reason why everyone will screw you over for fun and profit.

It is indeed a very intriguing social experiment...     

What i dislike about the "game" is that...
...  actual gameplay mechanics, especially combat gameplay, is very basic to the point of being utterly boring.
Eve's premise is that "everything" is done and made by the players... the disappointing part is that pretty much every activity that is not "accumulating skillpoints" or "PvP" is the most mundane grind i have ever seen in any game... and PvP's only complexity really comes from the amount of players on the battlefield... and certainly not from the simplistic gameplay mechanics.

Eve allows you to do "everything and anything" ... that's true... but also... "everything and anything" that you have to do to participate in the more interesting aspect of the game (which is not gameplay, but social interaction) is so repetitive that real life may soon feel like a recreation ;)

What is really great however are the stories and videos coming about of the community about ingame events...   which is especially amazing because participating in these events in the actual game is mostly as engaging as watching paint try.

The only reason it "works" (i.e. people play it)  is the very reason that you seem to find appalling: Everyone can and will screw everyone else over. Aggravation and conflict is fueling the game. As long as you are "working" towards getting payback or screwing over someone else.... the gameplay mechanics become tools to achieve your goal. And human beings doing as human beings do they will band together for safety in numbers and try to dominate their neighbors... conflict and large scale wars ensues.

If everyone would live peacefully and respect their neighbors, ...  then all that's left in Eve really is mundane repetition with little risk and no purpose...  and I'm pretty sure the game would be dead within a month ;)

In summary... while being one of the "worst games" that i know Eve also happens to be the first "Virtual world" that actually deserves the name.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:36:49 pm by Mikes »

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I must be odd, abnormal even.

Because I don't live to screw other people, I don't even go out of my way to beat up on others in the MMOs that I play.

Live and Let Live is my philosophy in MMOs.

Also, I REFUSE to believe that everyone around me would screw me over or knife me in the back when I'm not looking given half a chance.  I have to believe that 10,000+ years of civilization has made us better than monkeys.  If it hasn't, then what was the point?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Also, I REFUSE to believe that everyone around me would screw me over or knife me in the back when I'm not looking given half a chance.  I have to believe that 10,000+ years of civilization has made us better than monkeys.  If it hasn't, then what was the point?

If there are no consequences for it? You damn well better believe we'd go that route. Civilization's improvement has been in ensuring consequences by ensuring the knowledge you are a backstabbing asshole gets around.

One the reasons that many pantheons of gods are absolute dicks is because that's totally what we'd do if we could get away with it.

However I have to say that even I don't exist to purely screw people over in EVE (it is, admittedly, a diverting hobby on occasion), but neither has anyone to my knowledge consciously screwed me over. If you walk through the minefield without bothering to take any sort of precautions, having your legs blown off is...predictable. Pretty much every MMO has a griefing community of some kind.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
internet spaceships != real life

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Must admit, I lost count of the amount of times I had to point out to new players in the shiny new mining barges that the amount of ore a cruiser can steal is so tiny you could actually mine it in the time it took them to go to station and back, whereas shooting at it will get you killed.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I actually take it back. The FINAL SHOWDOWN (#3) is underway, it seems.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I actually take it back. The FINAL SHOWDOWN (#3) is underway, it seems.

i heard IT is getting crushed, anywhere I can read good battle reports?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Kugu provides, read all about everything!

There is much :smugpost: and the like, but seek out JimFromIT's posts for a good view from the inside of the IT camp. He's basically the only IT poster on Kugu who'll tell it like it is rather than spin.

Also DurrHurrDurr's rallying cry in the thread because it's hilarious.

A Feddie Story

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
Yo! Just wanted to point out what other did before, that in EVE you can screw with everyone and everything, but in most case i'm pretty sure people won't. Y'know, trust and all.
EVE is kindda more like Far West than like a wild jungle.

I think you can make some fun in playing it without neccessarily doing active PvP.
IMO, the fun comes from the fact that the whole game gotta be played with other people and stuff. Especially with corp and allymates if you play in 0.0.
Eg. when part of an active alliance if you log on there'll always be stuff going on around. Someone asking for a cyno to move capships, needing help for a complex, allied people about to start a roam, and so on. And even mining can end up being fun when you do it with 10 other people.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

A Feddie Story

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Having played casually for about 2 1/2 years (I remember reading news about the first Titan launch, and its subsequent destruction), I find watching the world of EVE as an outsider more compelling than the game itself. I had some fun as a lonewolf player, but never really had the time to get really involved, and I certainly don't have time now.

That said, the atmosphere, player-run territory warfare, pretty much everything besides me actually playing the game, are very engrossing. Goonswarm in particular is a great example of smart tactics and wicked metagaming (VCBee#### anybody?).
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Mikes

I must be odd, abnormal even.

Certainly...   welcome to the club.

Now just consider our corporate landscape and analyze - for example - how the recent financial crysis came about and you will quickly realize that as far as screwing each other over goes human beings playing Eve and human beings playing "real life" aren t all that different.

No consequences = the biggest scammer wins.
And it doesn t matter that you or me or whoever may live to different standards,.... there is ALWAYS someone who will exploit his fellow human beings for personal gain... and if there are no consequences it wont be just "someone" .... it will be the majority.

Offline Kszyhu

Interesting. I'm playing EVE for 18 months, and noone screwed me over, I didn't fell for a single scam, and I have trustworthy players in my corp. It either makes me luckiest EVE player alive, or EVE is not as harsh as it sounds.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Interesting. I'm playing EVE for 18 months, and noone screwed me over, I didn't fell for a single scam, and I have trustworthy players in my corp. It either makes me luckiest EVE player alive, or EVE is not as harsh as it sounds.

Or you just took reasonable precautions.

A Feddie Story