Author Topic: C&C: Red Alert 3  (Read 31674 times)

Offline Mika

Its game balancing. You can't have a unit in game be able to do everything. C&C3 is an RTS, Real Time Strategy, not simulation, which is the main reason why they have multiple squad types doing what, in real life, be accomplished by a single squad.

I know, putting all the real capabilities of a rifle man squad would make game balancing a nightmare. However, what I meant was that AI could function a lot better even in the current installments. Why should I tell the peacekeeper squad "shields up" when they could figure it out themselves? Why do I need to specifically order almost destroyed soldier squad to the hospital when they could have the capability to do it themselves, given the freedom to do so.
That you can give waypoint orders for units and restrict their weapon usage the way you want is good, but was it too much to ask for a single button that would give unit a permission to return after certain hitpoints are spent?

And then the bane of all real time strategies, why is there a specific unit for conquering buildings? Why can't a rifle man squad do it? This would make the importance of the rifle men squads higher, and they would have a role till the end of the game (a welcome change from the tank rushes most RTSs give at the end). Then combat engineer would be able to do something what it would do in actuality, like constructing tank blockades and temporary bridges and clearing mine fields.

Oh, I'm not aiming for simulation, maybe this is just getting tired of RTSs with the same formula. Maybe I should try Dawn of War...

Mika
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
A lot of RTS games have had that 'return-to-heal-at-certain-health' feature. It hasn't exactly been revolutionary, and in some cases it's just been a nuisance.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
To be fair, one of the things World In Conflict did well was to give a squad of riflemen most if not all of the capablities they would normally have. But the nature of that game was such that this was easier because of its larger scale.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Try DoW. It is different, makes a refreshing change from C&C-esque games.

A lot of RTS games have had that 'return-to-heal-at-certain-health' feature. It hasn't exactly been revolutionary, and in some cases it's just been a nuisance.
Yea, but in Dark Reign it can be toggled at your discretion, and you can designate the path they take back too. Which i thought was pretty cool.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
:bump:

I just got a RA3 notification. Beta's starting soon! Anyone else got something like that ?

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
:lol:
I was waiting for that entry to appear!

Japanese schoolgirls + psychic powers + assets = awesomeness.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The Tentacle Monsters won't get her. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
She'll get the tentacle monsters; and then some. I am officially naming her Alma. :P

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
I do agree, that C&C series needs a better AI in certain aspects. Anyone who's every played Dark Reign will recall that the AI in that game could be set to retreat when their health had hit a certain level. They could also be set to return fire only, or search and destroy. That was a shining example of AI that C&C could do better with. But the problem with implementing this is that you would need extra commands on the interface to achieve that, and they would risk cluttering up the interface, which i can assure you, would make the game far worse.

warzone 2100 did the same thing and was not half as bad. i have played all 3 three games in my time and dark reign is the best for it, but its kinda difficult when something like a shockwave tank comes after you and detonates. that said RA2 didnt have that problem. i have to say though that warzone2100 had a good UI for such stuff despite being primitive for a game.

----------------------------------

does a japanese girl that comes along and men are dreulling at the sight of her make for a better game?. or just a lasting distraction?.

same point, what about tanya? or some other woman on the allies side?. in most of the C&C series their has always been woman playing a main character for both sides, however she has to wear clothes that make her sexy, it seems the way for C&C.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
warzone 2100 did the same thing and was not half as bad. i have played all 3 three games in my time and dark reign is the best for it, but its kinda difficult when something like a shockwave tank comes after you and detonates. that said RA2 didnt have that problem. i have to say though that warzone2100 had a good UI for such stuff despite being primitive for a game.
Versus a rift creator ka-blaming your assembly plants from tons of miles away, I think the shockwave's not so bad. And its a superweapon, just like any other game's superweapon. You just gotta deal with it is all.

My favorite part of WZ2100 was being able to create your own units, and the fact that recycling units would cause veterancy to carry over. Through careful planning, I cultivated a unit with over 300 kills.

does a japanese girl that comes along and men are dreulling at the sight of her make for a better game?. or just a lasting distraction?.

same point, what about tanya? or some other woman on the allies side?. in most of the C&C series their has always been woman playing a main character for both sides, however she has to wear clothes that make her sexy, it seems the way for C&C.
Sex sells. What can I say?

Offline Al Tarket

a unit with 300 kills?! i got a unit to 1850 kills without being killed before, that was until i hit the nexus virus first encounter.

i suppose sex does :pimp:. stormkeeper
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
a unit with 300 kills?! i got a unit to 1850 kills without being killed before, that was until i hit the nexus virus first encounter.
I never finished past the New Paradigm. My disc shattered.  :(

Offline Al Tarket

oh that was before the collective. i wont say anymore unless i have permission to..

what kind of units are we expecting? something like a subterrain transport with anton slavic inside?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
C&C's a big bowl of ice-cream. Tanya was just the sprinkles on top.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
And Yuriko is even more sprinkles :D

=edit=
:bump:

Did anyone get a RA3 beta notification?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:54:15 am by Stormkeeper »

Offline Al Tarket

ra3 beta only comes when you have bought the latest c&c games, according to what EA has published, you will find a beta key inside one of the jewel cases. thats just incase someone might be thinking you can play ra3 earlier then usual. specifics aside, i know you can not say anything about the game directly, but if you can try make indirect comments which would give us here an idea of what to expect :D.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Amphibious con-yard, that's a definite.... :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Got my notice that RA3 beta is starting and that keys will be available to me eventually.  I don't have a download yet.

This is a public beta and the beta feeedback forum is also public from the looks of it so screen captures and comments will probably be forthcoming from anyone who has access.  Not sure if there will be any scrutiny but given the numbers involved it'll probably be huge.

From what I'm hearing there are only 2-3 maps in the beta but all three sides and full tech trees.  I guess the idea is that a few maps should keep everyone going while the testing begins on the different sides and with the RA3 technology.  Already some bugs have turned up...the kind you expect at this stage of a games development. Looking forward to the early sneak peek and pounding on the Soviets with the Allies :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Looking forward to the early sneak peek and pounding on the Soviets with the Allies :)
Hah! You capitalist pigs shall find no mercy beneath the heel of the mighty Soviet Union!