Author Topic: Jump Points within Jump Points  (Read 2644 times)

Offline LeGuille

• Formerly known as Rejindo
  • I made a box for you! Now, think outside of it.
Jump Points within Jump Points
Oh yes, I know. It's dangerous, horridly dangerous. We all know what can happen if it happens in a gate: The whole area goes -boom-.

But what I really want to know is, what happens when a jump point is opened within a localized field?

For instance: Let's say two whitestars are travelling. One opens a jump point, and another open a jump point within that jump point. Will the same effect happen, without such a large explosion, perhaps, but would it happen? Because if this is true, I think I may have come up with a really freaky weapon / tool.

I don't know how small a device like this could be, but based on the size of a reactor for capital ships, or Whitestars, I would imagine that some heavily advanced super-light form of jump technology would have to exist.

I'm calling it, for practical purposes a "Jump Box". A Jump Box is a small device that would call it's own jump point, and sustain it. The longer it stays open, the more energy it uses, and eventually drains out and dies. This would basically be a portable jump gate, meant for quick use in emergency situations, or for rescue operations.

But this can also be made a weapon. If attached to a missile, it would attach itself to a ship and force a jump to hyperspace. An advanced form could have a two-step process, forcing the jump and then pulsing a strong EMP blast to eradicate any chance of targeting a beacon. But, it can also be a very deadly weapon if coupled with the idea of double-jumping and calling double-jumps on targets.

Let's say Altair Station (I do feel sorry for them) is under attack by one of these things. A twin-missile with two jump boxes could completely irradicate a blanket amount of space (I am assuming under 1-Gigaton) explosion. It's a weapon, truly, that could be used to destroy planets, ripping them between real space and hyper space, if used in large quantities.

Can you imagine the destructive power of calling a jump within the core of a planet? Let alone a jump-within-a--jump in it's core? I mean, this is really deadly stuff when you consider how much energy a gate gives off (low-end explosion of a gate is apparently like a 2-gigaton nuke).

So, do you think that this could ever be done? If not as a main weapon, but something possibly as a BlackOmega test?
4 "Beware of the truth.... Although much sought after, truth can be dangerous to the seeker." -- God-Emperor Leto II, God Emperor of Dune

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: Jump Points within Jump Points
The effect happens every time you open a JP in a JP.

lets just say both planet destruction AND bonehead maneuver have already been fredded  ;7
so yes, it's possible fred-vise.
Unfortunately, I cannot release it yet.

B5 technically, it cannot be done since Jumpgates require vast amounts of energy, so you can't build a small bomb or missile capable of punching a hole in hyperspace. You require Gates or Capships.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
lets just say both planet destruction AND bonehead maneuver have already been fredded  ;7
:eek2:
I can't wait to see that!  :nod:
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline LeGuille

• Formerly known as Rejindo
  • I made a box for you! Now, think outside of it.
B5 technically, it cannot be done since Jumpgates require vast amounts of energy, so you can't build a small bomb or missile capable of punching a hole in hyperspace. You require Gates or Capships.
';
That's easily solvable. Yes, capships are mobile and the process does take a huge amount of energy, but if you use the process it's a one-shot affair anyway. I am talking about a fairly large object here. On the EA level, very unlikely. My whole issue with the idea of jump gates is that they are a fixed object. However, JMS stated that the arms can be moved to accomadate larger ships, so it's possible that they can be towed out and moved. So, with this same principle, a jump gate could be put inside of a jump gate, the inner gate opens, then the outer gate opens. Boom.

It would be like the nuclear weapon of it's time, to be honest. I will draw up some ideas, and see what happens. I honestly think this could become a weapon, the only part is the transportation of the device.

...the following is a ramble...

I'm imagining something the size of the Hyperion, with an Inner Jump Gate device about 1/3 the size of the outer gate... Explosion would knock out local jump beacons, create a huge EMP field that would knock out all electronics (civilization would become a stone age) and kill anything within the range of the explosion (2.5-gigatons, equivalent to 50 Hiroshima Nukes). That is a planet killer. A Very crude, blanket device that would be completely devestating. You'd have tachyon emissions, gamma radiation, theta radiation, Gravitational eruptions (random acts of gravity) and leaks and trans-space fluxing all over the place. 'Holes' of hyperspace to realspace and vice versa would be all over the place, it would look like hell in space and out of it. (Wish someone could show me how to use PCS2 properly.)

4 "Beware of the truth.... Although much sought after, truth can be dangerous to the seeker." -- God-Emperor Leto II, God Emperor of Dune

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
:eek2:
I can't wait to see that!  :nod:

It's worth the wait.   :D
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
But what I really want to know is, what happens when a jump point is opened within a localized field?

For instance: Let's say two whitestars are travelling. One opens a jump point, and another open a jump point within that jump point. Will the same effect happen, without such a large explosion, perhaps, but would it happen?

I don't think that would create the same explosion as with a Jumpgate ---
you know all B5 tech Jumpdrives/-gates require Quatium 40 (which is very rare and thus very valuable) ... A Jumpgate carries a lot of Quatium 40 since a jump gate takes a lot of travel .... that being so jump points must be opened longer and more often that with a warship's jumpdrive
the explosion of the bonehead maneuver is not caused the huge amount of energy the two jumppoints create but from that energy being infused into the Quatium 40 of the Jump Gate and so causeing THAT to explode
(Some check Season 3 Episode 1 please to see if I'm right)

I'm calling it, for practical purposes a "Jump Box". A Jump Box is a small device that would call it's own jump point, and sustain it. The longer it stays open, the more energy it uses, and eventually drains out and dies. This would basically be a portable jump gate, meant for quick use in emergency situations, or for rescue operations.

A one time Jump Gate?
for the cost of the Quatium 40 being used in that thing you could as build another starship with jump drive!

Also the only vessel below the the size of a Hyperion to ever cannonically used a jump drive of it's own is a Whitestar ... and the Whitestars have Vorlon or Vorlon-Minbari-hybrid Jumpdrives
no one would have the technology to do that (except the Shadows, the Vorlons and maybe the Drakh and the Minbari is due time)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."