Author Topic: Sword of the Stars 2  (Read 11803 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Re: Sword of the Stars 2
the hell was up with them voices?

All the voices in Sword of the Stars are a bit wacky, which is why I turn the voice volume off when I play.  Looking forward to the sequel though.
"If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one.  Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
-J. Robert Oppenheimer, quoting the Bhagavad Gita

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
the **** voice acting ruined the trailer for me.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'm going to say that was a lousy trailer, and the VA, even if they had decent equpment (which might be questionable in some regards), was of a quality below that of many FSO campaigns I've played - all or most of which were not done by professionals. (And note that a great many of those campaigns were actually very well acted... this wasn't...)

On a secondary note, the ability to produce a stand-alone game is beyond most of us, so I'm going to cease my judgment of their product here. However, if trailers alone sold a game, this would never get my money.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Hades

I agree there as well.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
...so should I be concerned that attempting to play that video gave me a BSOD? :p

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Just watch your delta v guys
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
...so should I be concerned that attempting to play that video gave me a BSOD? :p
You weren't only one. Video driver crashed when attempting to play that video, twice. Shortly followed by BSOD.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Huh, wonder if something's up with the most recent Catalyst drivers.  I've also been experiencing some really severe random slowdowns the few times I've tried running TF2, even though this new card can run the rest of the Orange Box at full detail like butter.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It's on You Tube now, so you can watch it there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXThLOnfSdQ

Mind you people, this is a 4X title, and the teaser is made in-engine.

Regarding the voice, the first 2 are a bit strange, but you know what they say - in reality, not everyone has a nice voice.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 05:10:41 am by TrashMan »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Regarding the voice, the first 2 are a bit strange, but you know what they say - in reality, not everyone has a nice voice.
They damn well better in a professional acting project, though. :p

Man, not only is the acting suspect, but the sound production is flat-out dreadful.  And what's with the ugly Technicolor ship design?

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
its just so many male voices are too high in it.

maybe it has to do with this future's soy-because-meat-is-satanic-diet ****ing up male hormones.

and I really hope one could customize the texture colours in the game, or i'd crack her open an edit the textures manually.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
They damn well better in a professional acting project, though. :p

You know what this sounds like to me?

UFO: Extraterrestrials' voice acting.

Which it only had in the opening cutscene and what the **** was with your linereads guys I've heard more emotion from MICROSOFT SAM
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Even worse than the voice acting was the models and renders. **** looks like an Still-Render PC Game from 1994. Holy ****.
How do people get PAID TO MAKE THIS?
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
SoTS was te-te-terrible in the voice acting and art department. Seems this trend continues here  :lol:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Question is, do they realize how bad it sucks?

Offline Hades

Even worse than the voice acting was the models and renders. **** looks like an Still-Render PC Game from 1994. Holy ****.
I was thinking the same thing, the graphics look old as ****.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, there's being a graphics whore, and then there's expecting fully-realized 3D games to look like they were created at some point within the last ten years.  Unless you're a one-person team farting around with some engine code, there's not much excuse for it.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

:wtf: :wtf:

Are you trying to get yourself killed here.

Such level of ignorance is....inexcusable.

Once again - this is a 4X game. That is the in-game engine. Do you see the amount of detail on those ships? Hunderds of tracking turrets(with collision detection for each turret - no hit chance calculator). Newtonian physics. Per-polygon targeting. Subsystems. And that on one MEDIUM sized ship.
And then bring a whole fleet into a battle, against several opponents. Now imagine 4 fleets duking it out. Or 8. Now count the number of turrets and objects the game has to keep track of.

The engine is beautiful. Everyone saying otherwise is ignorant, or has his head stuck up so far up his ass it would take a geological team to pull it back out. Different game types have different engine requirements.

Also:
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/swordofthestarsii/screenshots.html

You call this ugly?
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/sword_of_the_stars_2/screenshots.html?page=2

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:35:20 am by TrashMan »