Author Topic: Sword of the Stars 2  (Read 11752 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Once again - this is a 4X game. That is the in-game engine. Do you see the amount of detail on those ships? Hunderds of tracking turrets(with collision detection for each turret - no hit chance calculator). Newtonian physics. Per-polygon targeting. Subsystems. And that on one MEDIUM sized ship.
And then bring a whole fleet into a battle, against several opponents. Now imagine 4 fleets duking it out. Or 8. Now count the number of turrets and objects the game has to keep track of.

The engine is beautiful. Everyone saying otherwise is ignorant, or has his head stuck up so far up his ass it would take a geological team to pull it back out. Different game types have different engine requirements.

Would you like assistance removing your head from your ass, then?

It's a 4X game, as you said. We shouldn't be doing hundreds of guns with individual hit detection and tracking rates and crap like that because it's a damn 4X and that sort of thing is a needless drain on the processor which could instead, you know, be acting halfway competent with its own fleets rather than spectacularly ****ing up because it had to be stripped to bare bones to let the damn thing properly handle goddamn hit detection rather than having a competent AI or a lack of artifical cap on the number of ships in a fleet or the number of fleets in a battle so your computer doesn't pull a Chernobyl trying to handle it all.

Anyone who has ever watched a 200-odd ship fleet fight in EVE can tell you that everything you just said is a lie, or this game is going to be completely and utterly unplayable at any real level of serious combat. If a reinforced server can't handle that kind of crap, I have no reason to believe that a desktop can.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

ugh... some of ship models look ok, but the colors look quite garish on some of the ships, and the voice acting was horrible. It's like a couple of dudes doing all the voices, and one of the guys sounds like Timothy Treadwell. That scream at the end made me laugh because it sounded like a chicken getting murdered or something.  :lol:

so :no:
VBB survivor (the J master) - five hundred something posts

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, voice acting aside, it didn't look too unapproachable from the game-engine point of view, sure, it's not Crysis, but the 'Battleship Yamato' feel of all the Crew on parade on deck as though ti were an Earth-bound carrier was quite clever (though, the Leviathan was actually either not that big, or those marines are huge).

I suppose one of the biggest obstacles to game writing these days is finding a balance between Macro and Micro management of the engine. RTS and Empire Building games have been merging for years, starting at things like Total War and Masters of Orion, and then progressing on to SoTS, X etc, all of which are a blend of the two, using a mixture of physics and 'dice rolls' to decide outcomes.

Thing is, a few years ago, a fair percent of computers couldn't handle Supreme Commander, with its full physics engine, I think what this is is an attempt to create an Empire Builder where the strategy element matches the more advanced RTS games.

Will the Empire-Building suffer for the re-emphasis of strategy? Will the computer suffer in large battles, or is only the 'current' battle calculated (which means it wouldn't push the computer significantly harder than a large SC Battle)?

Part of the problem is that the graphics engine is functional, but not overly pretty compared to many games, but I think, at least on that note, it's all a question of how good the game itself is, rather than how pretty it looks, but still, if you spend years patiently constructing a Fleet of Dhoom, you want to be able to watch it rampage across the universe in as much style as possible ;)

As a final quick thing, I've always thought it's be a good idea in games such as these to be able to 'record' a battle if you wish, then load that data back into a 'film editor' program that lets you render the battle off at highest quality direct to uncompressed AVI (you would pre-program camera movements). That way you could record a movie of your favourite battles at highest (or even above game-quality) standards, pretty much regardless of power of the graphics card, and upload them to YouTube or the like. That would be fun ;)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Would you like assistance removing your head from your ass, then?

It's a 4X game, as you said. We shouldn't be doing hundreds of guns with individual hit detection and tracking rates and crap like that because it's a damn 4X and that sort of thing is a needless drain on the processor which could instead, you know, be acting halfway competent with its own fleets rather than spectacularly ****ing up because it had to be stripped to bare bones to let the damn thing properly handle goddamn hit detection rather than having a competent AI or a lack of artifical cap on the number of ships in a fleet or the number of fleets in a battle so your computer doesn't pull a Chernobyl trying to handle it all.

You know, when you become a competent game designer, then - and ONLY THEN - will your views of what should or should not be done in a game have any weight whatsoever.

Battles in SOTS work beautifully and I wouldn't want it any other way. The best battle system compared to any 4X title.

And it's obvious you haven't played SOTS, or you'd know the AI is VERY good, that the single turn represents month, and thus combat represents months worth of manouvering. Therefore, your ability to command and control is vital, represented in reinforcements and your command ability.

Maybe you like the SINS model where you have thousands of simple, insignificant ships that die in spades and everything is a spreadsheet calculation.
I rather prefer having fewer ships, but those ships being more important and detailed and tactics having a bigger influence. Which they do in SOTS.

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, voice acting aside, it didn't look too unapproachable from the game-engine point of view, sure, it's not Crysis, but the 'Battleship Yamato' feel of all the Crew on parade on deck as though ti were an Earth-bound carrier was quite clever (though, the Leviathan was actually either not that big, or those marines are huge).

The big burly marines guarding the Legator (the speaker) would be wearing Heavy Brawler Suits, so they are bigger than regular human soldiers. But ships in SOTS aren't that big. The game starts early in human space expansion.
The first ships you build are 30 meters long.
The dreadnoughts are roughly 300 meters long.

The Leviathan in the video is around 1 kilometer

The SOTS universe is very deep and beautifly constructed. I can only recommend SOTS to everyone, as it's THE game for me (along with Freespace).

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I do tend to enjoy these sort of games, and actually prefer smaller, more heavily armed fleets to large unwieldy ones, I tend to find with really big fleets, you start to lose grip on the tactical side of things and just Zerg-Rush everything.

I'd also like to see a more modern take on something like Imperium Galactica, I certainly think there's a lot of potential still locked up in turn-base games, because it frees up so much CPU to deal with what happens each game turn, but they seem to be the realm of small developers, and considered almost 'Casual' in nature which is ridiculous if you consider they often have the steepest learning curve of any games out there.

Gonna chime in with Trashman. SotS is a great game. I just upgraded to the Complete Collection and for me it gets the balance spot on. Games like Birth of the Federation became swamped rapidly in just brain-numbing planet facility building, SotS has comparatively very few micromanagement features. You have an income, you assign a certain amount of that to research, you save the rest or spend it on warships, starbases, freighters. Planets populations automatically fill up to a size limit, look after feeding themselves, and automatically terraform to your race's ideal. All you need to decide is how much of the planets resources are devoted to trade/commerce or are available for ship/infrastructure construction. There's research level based diplomacy, ceasefires, NAPs, trade agreements and alliances. But everything is mostly built around combat. THAT's the reason for the detailed turret modelling and hit detection; because it's the core of the game. Sure there's enough there to enjoy auto-resolving every fight and simply managing things but the game will move very, very quickly that way. It would be, to a fairly similar degree, be like playing Rome: Total War and skipping the battles.

The model design of the human ships is core to the human's technological backstory (the large ring around the engines). In regard to some people's opinion of their gaudiness, it was a concious design choice, they didn't want to go down the dull grey steel look of 'realistic' thinking.

The voice acting didn't bother me much to be honest (though there were certainly one or two very dodgey lines). I'm not looking to the VA in a 4x game to build much atmosphere and to be honest I thought it was fairly passable in SotS. Apart from a few scenarios that set the games initial starting conditions and objectives according to the universe lore, the games are all freeform and unburdened by the need to adhere to story. Again I think it work's for the game, I've played others where an included story works equally well, it's simply a matter of opinion, and maybe a little open-mindedness.

That however, is not to say there's no story or background. As Trashman said, it's actually got a really indepth universe, developed by the writing team (primarily Arinn Dembo) behind Homeworld (& Cataclysm) and (quick recheck) Groundcontrol (haven't played), and Arcanum (hmmp, didn't see that before. Definately a credit). I would very strongly advise visiting their forums and looking around for posts or replies by Erinys (Ms Dembo's handle), especially in the SotS subforums, 'The Races', and 'The Ships'. My only complaint here is that it's not gathered in one location. There was even a 'mini'-book (300 odd pages) released in the first expansion, a few chapters of which are available to read. Unfortunately, I've not read it but it shows the thought that's gone into this. Personnally I can't wait for the sequel, at least partly because of the backstory.

Trashman; I'm a lurker over at Kerberos so I'm guessing from your passionate posting here that you go by the same name there? You play multi at all? Never tried myself but I must get into it.

One warning I will give; they (Kerberos, or almost exclusively Mecron, the lead designer) can be pretty wankerish if they don't like the implications or tone of a post so either lurk like I do or word it well.

Now go and get it!
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Even worse than the voice acting was the models and renders. **** looks like an Still-Render PC Game from 1994. Holy ****.
How do people get PAID TO MAKE THIS?

:wtf: :wtf:

Are you trying to get yourself killed here.

Such level of ignorance is....inexcusable.

Once again - this is a 4X game. That is the in-game engine. Do you see the amount of detail on those ships? Hunderds of tracking turrets(with collision detection for each turret - no hit chance calculator). Newtonian physics. Per-polygon targeting. Subsystems. And that on one MEDIUM sized ship.
And then bring a whole fleet into a battle, against several opponents. Now imagine 4 fleets duking it out. Or 8. Now count the number of turrets and objects the game has to keep track of.

The engine is beautiful. Everyone saying otherwise is ignorant, or has his head stuck up so far up his ass it would take a geological team to pull it back out. Different game types have different engine requirements.

Also:
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/swordofthestarsii/screenshots.html

You call this ugly?
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/sword_of_the_stars_2/screenshots.html?page=2

Trashman, I love you. Everything he said guys, everything he said.

Plus, bad VA work aside, SotS was amazing. Can't wait for II (Especially as it seems the Suuligi have returned [The Zuul's father race to the Morrigi being their 'mother' race, which will make little sense unless you've paid attention to the backstory of the game])

Also, I loved the Black-19 name drop (Black-** is the SolForce codename for various races/types of being that they found traces of/theorised the existence of before they appeared. The Morrigi were Black-14 when their presence in the game was restricted to the Colony Trap random encounter, Von neumies are Black-somethingorother, and so on), so whatever wiped out the ANY is known (possibly) by SolForce in some capacity. My personal guess it's the Suuligi/Suulka/The Screamers, since it seemed that it could possibly be a psychic phenomena.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:44:05 pm by Ravenholme »
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Damn! I knew there was one final point I wanted to make. Cheers for reminding me Ravenholme.

That being, yeah, it does look like the Suuligi/Suul'ka are going to be telepathic controllers of some kind.

Possible
Spoiler:
Which makes me think/agree that the Suuligi were male Morrigi slaves/victims of the 'enemy' and effectively commited genocide against their own race/females. The same could be said of the Lir, they were enslaved by collaborators (?) but had the mental fortitude to resist eventually.

Looking forward to seeing what became of the Tarka Silver Imperium colonies.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I still say it looks like it came straight out of the late 90s.

Point: It's not impossible to have awesome graphics and detailed gameplay at the same time. Look at EVE online... their "Trinity" engine looks awesome. And if your response to that is going to be that having a whole fleet, in which each ship has all of these turrets and other stuff that would each take processor time, and that you can't have both... don't even bother... You can do it, on high end computers, and if you're not on a high-end computer, that's what detail settings are for. But rendering an in-game trailer with low graphics detail, or not even having "good looking" graphics to show? Fail.

That said, some of those screenshots you linked to and said "You call this ugly?" look a hell of a lot better than what they showed off in that trailer. Perhaps those screenshots are newer, and reflect them having realized (unlike TrashMan) how bad their graphics looked and having improved them to make up for it?

Nonetheless, if it's got good gameplay, I might get it anyway. But why the **** did they make an ingame trailer that has bad graphics, bad voice acting, and doesn't even show any gameplay?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I still say it looks like it came straight out of the late 90s.

Point: It's not impossible to have awesome graphics and detailed gameplay at the same time. Look at EVE online... their "Trinity" engine looks awesome. And if your response to that is going to be that having a whole fleet, in which each ship has all of these turrets and other stuff that would each take processor time, and that you can't have both... don't even bother... You can do it, on high end computers, and if you're not on a high-end computer, that's what detail settings are for. But rendering an in-game trailer with low graphics detail, or not even having "good looking" graphics to show? Fail.

That said, some of those screenshots you linked to and said "You call this ugly?" look a hell of a lot better than what they showed off in that trailer. Perhaps those screenshots are newer, and reflect them having realized (unlike TrashMan) how bad their graphics looked and having improved them to make up for it?

Nonetheless, if it's got good gameplay, I might get it anyway. But why the **** did they make an ingame trailer that has bad graphics, bad voice acting, and doesn't even show any gameplay?
Actually, those screenshots are older than the trailer, iirc.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Trashman; I'm a lurker over at Kerberos so I'm guessing from your passionate posting here that you go by the same name there? You play multi at all? Never tried myself but I must get into it.

One warning I will give; they (Kerberos, or almost exclusively Mecron, the lead designer) can be pretty wankerish if they don't like the implications or tone of a post so either lurk like I do or word it well.

Same handle there. Check out the mod sections. You might notice something ;)

Also, the SOTS forums are one of the most civil forums I've ever been. The devs constantly talk to people and are very fair, if strict sometimes.

Plus, bad VA work aside, SotS was amazing. Can't wait for II (Especially as it seems the Suuligi have returned [The Zuul's father race to the Morrigi being their 'mother' race, which will make little sense unless you've paid attention to the backstory of the game])

Erm...no. You got the Zuul, The Sulligi (a.k.a, the Screamers) and the Suul'Ka (creators of Zuul). It's still not clear who he Sulligi are, but the current theory is that they are an offshot of the Morrigi race that sided with the Suul'Ka (if you recall the Morrigi talk about the "fall" and "great shame").

Also, the "Black-X" designation is for unexplained encounters, designated by order of encounter. Unless I'm mistaken, the Zuul are Black-13, Morrigi Black-14, the Von Neuman are Black-10...altouhg I fail to come to the 19 number, which is strange. Even counting the Grand Menaces...which would mean the people at Kerberos thought of a few new encounters for us. and after the Locust, System Killer, Puppet Master and PeaceKeeper...I shudder to think what's next.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You know, when you become a competent game designer, then - and ONLY THEN - will your views of what should or should not be done in a game have any weight whatsoever.

It doesn't matter what the designer thinks; it matters what the end user thinks. I am a player, and mine is the only form of opinion that carries any weight or any use in designing a successful game.

And it's obvious you haven't played SOTS, or you'd know the AI is VERY good, that the single turn represents month, and thus combat represents months worth of manouvering.

Then what's the point of the complex hit detection you just described? Combat is totally abstracted at that scale. Unless it switches to a realtime mode for it? Which you strongly imply it doesn't.

Basically what you're describing is not only suspect from a programming standpoint, but also unnecessary complication now.

Therefore, your ability to command and control is vital, represented in reinforcements and your command ability.

This is further evidence of abstraction, you are not helping your point in the slightest.

Maybe you like the SINS model where you have thousands of simple, insignificant ships that die in spades and everything is a spreadsheet calculation.
I rather prefer having fewer ships, but those ships being more important and detailed and tactics having a bigger influence. Which they do in SOTS.

That's the SupCom model, not a Sins-specific one, but let's be honest: the Sins model represents a degree of abstraction that would be very much the amount of actual control you could project over combat at that scale. I don't like it, but it's reasonably accurate. If I had my way, we'd still be fighting it out with something like Steel Panthers in videogames but that style is dead. SotS' handling of combat however is neither accurate nor is it appealing.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

Same handle there. Check out the mod sections. You might notice something ;)

Also, the SOTS forums are one of the most civil forums I've ever been. The devs constantly talk to people and are very fair, if strict sometimes.

Erm...no. You got the Zuul, The Sulligi (a.k.a, the Screamers) and the Suul'Ka (creators of Zuul). It's still not clear who he Sulligi are, but the current theory is that they are an offshot of the Morrigi race that sided with the Suul'Ka (if you recall the Morrigi talk about the "fall" and "great shame").

Also, the "Black-X" designation is for unexplained encounters, designated by order of encounter. Unless I'm mistaken, the Zuul are Black-13, Morrigi Black-14, the Von Neuman are Black-10...altouhg I fail to come to the 19 number, which is strange. Even counting the Grand Menaces...which would mean the people at Kerberos thought of a few new encounters for us. and after the Locust, System Killer, Puppet Master and PeaceKeeper...I shudder to think what's next.

Common theory is that the Suuligi and the Suul'ka are the same thing, as the Suul'ka is just the Liir term for whoever enslaved them, and that's believed to have been the Suuligi. (Though Suul'ka is now used for anyone 'evil' in the Liir's eyes, I am referring to the progenitors of the name)

And yes, that's what I'm saying. But the Morrigi were designated from the Colony Traps (Which appeared in Born in Blood, when the Zuul were added, but before their addition in A Murder of Crows) or the ruins that were found of them (Or the speculation by SolForce scientists about why each race had a Dragon myth, can't remember which it was)

This might be helpful: http://sots.rorschach.net/Suul%27ka (Especially the Etymology part and the very first part). Notice the 'Wintermind' and so on, and the mounting evidence that the Morrigi Suuligi and the Liirian Suul'ka are the same race as the Zuul's "Great Father."

I can't say I've ever heard the theory that the Suuligi are offshoots from the Morrigi (And their backstory seems to outright dismiss that claim) and I've talked to Arinn (PM-wise) on the Kerberos forums a few times about it, because I was writing a collaborative piece of alternate-future fiction set in the SotS universe with a friend of mine for a while.

Though - evil offshoot Morrigi might be cool (Another thing is that most of the Liir's technology is scavenged from the Suul'ka and the stutter drive is very much not a Morrigi technology, since their drive tech is based around gravitic manipulation in the flock-drives)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:55:40 am by Ravenholme »
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It doesn't matter what the designer thinks; it matters what the end user thinks. I am a player, and mine is the only form of opinion that carries any weight or any use in designing a successful game.

Try designing a game like that and see what happens. In many cases, the end user doesn't know what they won't and they don't understand the specific or finer details. Remember the old "masses are morons?". Design by commitie never works.

Then what's the point of the complex hit detection you just described? Combat is totally abstracted at that scale. Unless it switches to a realtime mode for it? Which you strongly imply it doesn't.

Basically what you're describing is not only suspect from a programming standpoint, but also unnecessary complication now.

Are you dense or what? Are you a total literalist. So everything has to be represented 100% accurately in every game? Distance, scale, damage?
You DO like Freespace, right? :doubt:
Hit detection is there for the combat to look and play nicer and more tactical. Yes, it puts a limit to the number of ships that can be on screen at once. TEH HORROR!!!!!! :rolleyes:

That's the SupCom model, not a Sins-specific one, but let's be honest: the Sins model represents a degree of abstraction that would be very much the amount of actual control you could project over combat at that scale. I don't like it, but it's reasonably accurate. If I had my way, we'd still be fighting it out with something like Steel Panthers in videogames but that style is dead. SotS' handling of combat however is neither accurate nor is it appealing.

To you maybe.
The game did good and has a large and devoted fanbase. So basicly, you're wrong.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
If you two want to disagree, that's fine, but will you please both stop hurling personal attacks. I don't care who started it, stop it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'm looking forward to the game, the first one is verrrrrrrrrry hard. The AI can raep you if you give it a moments weakness. This looks to be a bit glitzier and hopefully more of the same.

With improved ship customisation hopefully. :D

Oligatory Tev shots.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:51:45 am by Dekker »
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I'm nearly 100% sure that in a recent post I read over there Erinys strongly hinted that the Suuligi (the 'igi' implies a distinct race) and the Screamers are not the same thing. So I made a mistake in my first post about the Morrigi-Suuligi war; I believe the Suul'ka and Suuligi to be one and the same but the Screamers are a separate subject, perhaps the result of possible Suuligi effects on Morrigi males (males comprise all starfaring crew, females run the colonies and also have strong psychic defense) causing them to become the Screamers and turn on their own colonies/nests. Thus causing the great shame that they won't speak of. So both races with direct contact with the Suuligi/Suul'ka have been pretty closed mouthed. The Liir elders who actually remember their enslavement don't share the thoughts unless a young Liir is actually strong enough to find them (a telepathic game they play). They're sensitive folk.

Once again, it's done very well. Despite the games being story free the expansions pushed forward the universe time frame. The original release marked the time of humanities initial and fairly genocidal colonial and imperial establishment (a response to near extinction at the hands of a rogue hiver nesting fleet). Born of Blood introduced the Zuul (what Morrigi call Zuuligi), an artificially designed race dominated by extremely powerful male telepaths (mental dominators or mind-destroying knowledge rippers) that probably accidentally came to sentience after their use as a weapon against Morrigi colonies in the Morrigi-Suuligi war who have ripped and twisted human religious thought to make their search for the Great Masters a unifying crusade. Up until this they were only hinted at as a random encounter colony slaver attack. Then the Morrigi, who in Born in Blood began appearing directly (as opposed to their ruins) as random encounter scouting parties, returned to their old space as a full race in A Murder of Crows.

With the final patch the universe has settled down some with the Zuul contained and normal diplomacy starting to occur as shown in the trailer. And so the stage is set for the old enemy to return. One of the big sequel requests was for a way to integrate the story into the game while remaining unintrusive. I'm hoping they achieved this. But if not, the scenarios will still be there.

On the comments about the trailers graphics; I think the dismissal of at the very worst, completely acceptable detail and modelling is pretty pathetic. Continued comparisions with Eve, a typically soul destroying repetitive XP grinding MMORPG, are equally irrelevent without even begining to talk about the size of the developers and available resources. It's probably an ingame trailer for the most part to cut down cost and doesn't display any actual gameplay because it's not due out for another year. That's why it's a Teaser.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
On the comments about the trailers graphics; I think the dismissal of at the very worst, completely acceptable detail and modelling is pretty pathetic. Continued comparisions with Eve, a typically soul destroying repetitive XP grinding MMORPG, are equally irrelevent without even begining to talk about the size of the developers and available resources.

While I mostly agree with your sentiments, you're being equally unfair to EVE, a game where it is impossible to XP grind. All skills in EVE train at a flat rate whether or not the player is even playing the game.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I see some of my earlier points remain un-rebuked.

You can do it, on high end computers, and if you're not on a high-end computer, that's what detail settings are for. But rendering an in-game trailer with low graphics detail, or not even having "good looking" graphics to show? Fail.

[ ... ]

Although it looks like Rand al Thor attempted to address this concern...

It's probably an ingame trailer for the most part to cut down cost and doesn't display any actual gameplay because it's not due out for another year. That's why it's a Teaser.

Together with this assertion...

The game did [ well ] and has a large and devoted fanbase.

It seems to me that all this 'teaser' was ever meant to do was to inform or remind people who were already fans of the franchise that a new installment is on its way. Fine, they've got themselves a nice little niche, and their business strategy might work out in the long run. But please stop pretending like the graphics look good; they don't. And please stop operating under the false assumption that it takes huge amounts of money to get cool shaders and graphics like in EVE; it doesn't. Crysis maybe, but not EVE.