Author Topic: FS2H: A Halo Total Conversion Mod for FS2  (Read 26807 times)

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
FS2H: A Halo Total Conversion Mod for FS2
I've been developing a Halo mod for FS2 for the last few years, mostly as a hobby. Please check out my work over at halo.bungie.org and support Freespace 2 mods!

Links to hosted News about FS2H
http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=18167
http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=18213
http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=18276

NEW 4-11-07
http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=792764
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 12:29:00 am by Devrous »

Re: FS2H: A Halo Total Conversion Mod for FS2
:welcome:

I must say: wow. This is incredible work, from what I've seen from your posts. I'm really looking forward to playing this one!

Heh, Spartan_214 is gonna love this...  :D
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Yes, its very impressive for a one man show....  :yes:

I just noticed:

Currently I have 62 ships modeled, textured, flying and shooting at one another. The models pale in comparison to, let’s say, Infinityloop’s Pillar of Autumn. Freespace 2, being an older game, can’t handle but a few thousand polygons per ship. The level of detail is less than modern games. But the point of the game is to have fun, not just ogle a great looking model, right?

62 ships?? *boggle*
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:20:10 pm by Admiral Nelson »
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Looks interesting :) Although I might add that Freespace 2 can handle many, many polygons, even up in the hundreds of thousands if you use detail boxes.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I would register there, but the forum format looks horribly outdated (thread trees went out in the 90's didn't they?)  ;)

Seems he know about Open now, hopefully some of the lower poly models will get reworked to take advantage of the upgraded limits.

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
silly people saying FS2 is old and outdated.

first the HW2 mod uses it to insult BTRL, now this guy thinks hes working with a 9 year old piece of engine when its really the SCP
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Ehm...you converted all by yourself Halo?

Create a custom title for Devrous.

:welcome:

You don't even take count of your noob kills. Why you impede me from reaching 50?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm, I've wondered if someone was going to do this... I'll have to check this out.   :yes:

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
Wow...nice to see the responses.  :)

I stumbled onto SCP the day of my first post...I've been in the Freespace "Dark Ages" apparently. These models are gonna start rocking out with some detail now that I've got some polygon room. Even so, I had always planned on the models that you see in those posts to be in the second LOD. Haven't put my higher-poly models in yet due to my computer's limitations. That is, I'm using a Compaq Presario 7000 from 2001 with 256MB RAM, 1.7 GHz processor and a GeForce 5200FX. Needless to say, my frame rate drops like a fat kid in dodgeball every time I look at a high poly model or high res nebula, let alone an entire fleet battle!!!

As far as FS2 being "old and out-dated," I've never and will never say that; Freespace 2 has withstood the test of time, and is IMO the truest game in the entire genre. VIVA FS2!!! :D

BTW, it's 63 ships now.  ;) ;) ;)

I did this project single-handedly for several reasons, the first being that I knew no one (locally) who did this kind of work. Secondly, I love a challenge. It took me four years to find free versions of programs, learn how to use them with no tutorials or help files, figure out what worked and what didn't in the TBL file manipulation, and teach myself how to model. Since I started there has been a wealth of Freespace modding information right under my nose, but until recently all I had was dial-up and a slow computer, so endlessly browsing the internet to find said info wasn't even a thought. In the last 6 months I've downloaded and read every bit of info I could from this website and about a dozen others. If I can get a handle on how to use this new info, this mod will go from "neat idea" to "freaking awesome."

All in all I'd appreciate any advice you guys have. This year has been difficult for me. I'm in college trying to graduate, I work a full-time job, my friends back home keep trying to get me to play World of Warcraft, and I have a girlfriend. And on top of all that I'm still trying to crank this mod out. It's become my obsession, so rest assured more work will soon come to light on this.

Once again, thanks for the response and the welcome. I look forward to your future comments  :)

-Devrous

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
We look forward to future screenshots.... :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Keyes Loop!  I want to fly the Keyes Loop! :D

Seriously, this is excellent work, especially for a one-man show.  Keep it up. :):yes:

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
i want to fly a bomber at destroy the halo!

now all we need is an invader zim mod and all the good ideas will be taken....

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Bombers can't destroy Halo; Halo is an artificial planet.  What destroyed halo was the POA's four reactors going supercritical; a "wildcat" destabilization (think the Lucy's five reactors going supercritical).

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
You don't even take count of your noob kills.

Wait... you do count?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
think of non-canon junk for the sake of enjoyable gameplay.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
A planet-killing bomber I can see.  But no, it's not canon... I thought you were being serious.  :p

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
You don't even take count of your noob kills.

Wait... you do count?

look in his sig
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

A planet-killing bomber I can see.  But no, it's not canon... I thought you were being serious.  :p

What about those Nova bombs? Could a bomber carry them? If so, then a planet-killer is indeed canon.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Jr2 just go with it, 99% of the time it's not worth responding...  ;)

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
think of non-canon junk for the sake of enjoyable gameplay.

rule of thumb

never listen to takashi
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D