General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

General Feedback

<< < (2/2)

rambo919:

--- Quote from: BengalTiger on February 07, 2023, 08:01:39 pm ---This guide can help if you don't want Knossos:
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Manually_Installing_FreeSpace_2_Open

--- End quote ---
There is one flaw in this page, it does not cover ini file generation which is something I constantly see is needed for manual downloads.... and that alone obviously scares people off from manual installs.

Speaking of which if I DO have manual install packages, can I just extract them to the library/FS2 folder and then install through knossos where it will automatically pick up the already present files?

Goober5000:

--- Quote from: rambo919 on February 18, 2023, 08:28:44 am ---My first step in my investigations as you might call them was to go through the hosted projects section and then external sites where I noticed a number of unfinished projects... are these pages perhaps merely out of date then?
--- End quote ---

Yep.  The hosted websites are not really updated these days, with rare exceptions (Scroll, FSPort).  There is a project to link the front page with the Knossos mod pages but that is on hold for the time being.

--- Quote from: rambo919 on February 18, 2023, 08:40:15 am ---OK given that I unexpectedly got upgraded to a fibre line (was forced to because the copper is being discontinued from out under me) and having double line speed temporarily due to a promo I decided to run a bit of an experiment today and downloaded the upgrade project and FS port and mods starting with A and B the result being about 130GB.

A lot of this is due to multiple versions of MVPS with there being no incremental releases and mods mostly not being updated to the newest versions.... this seems highly inefficient for serverload nvm distribution. But this leads me to a question.... what happens to unused and outdated MVPS packages are they deleted or just left to rot?
--- End quote ---

Glad your situation improved. :yes:  Unused and outdated versions are not deleted, just left alone.  There is a complex situation here where some mods require newer MediaVPs and some aren't compatible with newer MediaVPs.  And some people want the latest features while some people are running older hardware and need less intensive features.  It's hard to strike a balance.

--- Quote from: rambo919 on February 18, 2023, 08:44:56 am ---
--- Quote from: BengalTiger on February 07, 2023, 08:01:39 pm ---This guide can help if you don't want Knossos:
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Manually_Installing_FreeSpace_2_Open
--- End quote ---
There is one flaw in this page, it does not cover ini file generation which is something I constantly see is needed for manual downloads.... and that alone obviously scares people off from manual installs.

Speaking of which if I DO have manual install packages, can I just extract them to the library/FS2 folder and then install through knossos where it will automatically pick up the already present files?
--- End quote ---

A mod.ini should be the responsibility of the mod developer, but you can find documentation on it here.

Theoretically Knossos supports importing mods from mod.ini files, but I've never tried it.  Yes, if you do everything right Knossos should pick it up, but there are a lot of things that need to be formatted a certain way.  I think the better approach is to act as if you're creating a new mod using Knossos, then copy the files into the folder structure Knossos creates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version