Author Topic: New Freelancer-ish game "Everspace"  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Infamus

New Freelancer-ish game "Everspace"
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/396750/
GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/everspace

I am not exactly sure how I came across it, but I found this cool game called Everspace, by some of the creators of Galaxy On Fire, which, while I hear that work wasn't terribly great, this looks phenomenal. It uses a blend of 6DOF controls and mouse-aiming like Freelancer, plus a well-simplified crafting system but very detailed ship systems and damage management.

It's "another one of those games", you know, rogue-likes, but it has a permanent upgrade system in-between playthroughs.  It's in-game progression works a lot like FTL where the systems are randomized with various threat levels that you hop to for progression, and there's even a special enemy that will come after you if you stick around too long in a system (but they're not unkillable I think).

There is also a lot more going on than just you, including other people fighting each other.

You can mine asteroids. I don't know if they uses voxels or what, but you grind them up with your weapons until you break open a section with usable materials, which will automatically reveal themselves and be collectible. No need to equip a grinder and slowly eat through an asteroid. I'm not certain if you need specifically mining weapons or can use anything.

The game goes into Steam Early Access on the 14th, as well as GOG Games In Development sometime after probably, which you can still pre-order for some goodies and priority technical assistance (however that works).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:26:55 pm by Infamus »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: New Freelancer-ish game "Everspace"
So apparently gog is trying to sell me this game. I watched the trailer just out of curiosity and OH MAN.
The music and the visuals immediately piqued my interest.

Now, anyone here's got an informed opinion about this? Informed as in been an alpha/beta tester?
Main page looks all good but I cannot decide only on that and the trailer.
el hombre vicio...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Some people were talking about the beta on IRC; can't remember exactly who, but opinions were positive.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Do not think, that this game has much to do with Freelancer in the terms of gameplay.

So it is a Rogue-like.. that means, no story and no ending.
So i am not interested in this kind of stuff.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

ACG made a gameplay video about it. Looks quite nice. I just hope it has decent HOTAS support.

Offline Mikes

Fomer developers of the mobile game Galaxy on Fire, which was very simple and repetitive. Did not like at all. (Think your typcial action "gear grinder" in space.)

Course that doesn't mean this is also. Would also like to hear more from someone who sunk some time in.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:12:42 pm by Mikes »