Author Topic: the seismic charge...  (Read 7405 times)

Offline Topgun

the seismic charge...
I've got it covered. :nod:

EDIT: I mean the sound

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Re: the seismic charge...
seismic charge is prequel special effects nonsense.

what do you have?
perhaps it could be made into something practical.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
As much as it is in the prequel, I'm not entirely sure it'd be such a bad idea to use it later on in the timeline, by other rogue types and bounty hunters.  It would be an interesting weapon, that's for sure.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

I'm going to agree with whoever said it was ridiculous. Think about it: why would you mount a weapon with primarily defensive purposes on a bounty hunter's ship? Setting traps and ambushes? Pah! *blows smoke to avoid criticism*

p.s. If you could think of something convicing to explain how they work, and a gameplay mechanic to make them work, they might be pretty cool.

I'd like to add; how would a seismic charge travel through a vaccum?
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline Topgun

how can you hear things in a vacuum? why doesn't your ship overheat in a vacuum?

Offline Shade

I'm sure a Star Trek writer could come up with an explanation for that. Something like "Phased quantum wavefront fluctuations from the energy release interface constructively with the tertiary hyperflux array of the subspace drive, causing synchronous vibrations in the hull that are percieved as sound by the human ear". Oh, and magical radiators.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 07:50:55 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

If you could think of something convicing to explain how they work [...] they might be pretty cool.
Very nicely done Shade.
As to the sound, I'm thinking "simutaneous simulation of sound based on data collected in realtime and transmitted through the in cockpit vox sytem" or "SSSBDCRTTCVS"

Well there isn't any indication that the actual inshow/film characters hear sound, and space is 'Freezing! Heat can be radiated, there's no need for a medium. The sun's heat does a pretty good job of getting to us.

I really don't want to be having this argument but the word seismic by todays standards needs a medium (yes I used the word vaccum originally).

But regardless of that, I don't care, it was a throwaway comment, and I have no problem throwing away the laws of physics (to some degree) when it's blatant the aim is just entertainment.

Of course if said product doesn't entertain.... well then.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 09:02:24 pm by Rand al Thor »
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Want some technobabble? :drevil:

Oscillating gravitic distortions cause the fabric of space-time to vibrate, which effectively acts as a medium of mechanical wave motion from the source to everything else in area, causing the objects to oscillate and thus you would actually hear, or rather feel sound from a really fricking huge explosion or singularity weapon in space. Essentially anything that causes a huge mass to shift or vibrate very fast would cause a spreading distortion to space-time continuum, so in a strictest sense of sci-fi, sound in space movies is not *impossible*, just means that what goes on is damn much more poverful than the visuals would let assume.

Think being in a vacuum room with a big subwoofer - you wouldn't hear the sound with ears, but you could possibly feel the floor vibrating. It's just a matter of how strong the explosions/vibrations are.

Obviously, that is presuming your ship is not ripped apart by the strong oscillations of space-time fabric (essentially tide forces) being too strong, or that your ship doesn't immediately ionize due to intense radiation.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
The explanation I've always heard about sounds in space is simply that the ship produces them on its own based on data it collects as an aid for pilots to give them more spacial awareness. 

The real reason of course is because it'd be pretty boring if there was no sound for half a movie.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Due to the nature of subspace/hyperspace/warp drives, they are always "on" and connected to the NTH dimension, to allow for faster FTL jumps, as if they were switched off, they would take a long time to latch onto a stable mininode bridge to the NTH dimension... all vibrations etc are transmitted from the ship to this dimension as a byproduct, and all other ships connected to this dimension therefore pick up these vibrations in their hull...

Absolute gobbledygook, but whatever....

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Simple answer: radio interference
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Want some technobabble? :drevil:

Oscillating gravitic distortions cause the fabric of space-time to vibrate, which effectively acts as a medium of mechanical wave motion from the source to everything else in area, causing the objects to oscillate and thus you would actually hear, or rather feel sound from a really fricking huge explosion or singularity weapon in space. Essentially anything that causes a huge mass to shift or vibrate very fast would cause a spreading distortion to space-time continuum, so in a strictest sense of sci-fi, sound in space movies is not *impossible*, just means that what goes on is damn much more poverful than the visuals would let assume.

Think being in a vacuum room with a big subwoofer - you wouldn't hear the sound with ears, but you could possibly feel the floor vibrating. It's just a matter of how strong the explosions/vibrations are.

Obviously, that is presuming your ship is not ripped apart by the strong oscillations of space-time fabric (essentially tide forces) being too strong, or that your ship doesn't immediately ionize due to intense radiation.

What did he say? :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I once heard about a test from the US Airforce that tried to see if its possible to add some kind of "lasergun" to current fightercrafts.
They didn't get more power then the basic laserpointer but it was just a could we do it thing.

Anyway they found a very unaspected problem....no sound. Lasers make no sound compared to maschine guns or missiles. Pilots allways got confused if they are still firing or not. That was also to the fact that its hard to see a laser normaly. You must have the luck to have some smoke or something in the air.

So what did they do? They added a lasersound FX and a visual line to the HUD so that the pilots had something he is used to have ^_^

I wouldn't wonder if they do it the same way when we would fight in space. Humans are just used to hear their surounding. I mean just turn off the sound and play....you will get crazy after a short time.

PS: That dosn't mean that "seismic" would make any sense because of that but could explain that you hear anything at all in space beside the sound that you own ship makes.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
What did he say?

Okay, here goes.

The shape (volume, if you will) of space-time can change, usually due to mass. This causes phenomena like gravitation and (likely) inertia.

Now, not only space is affected by mass, but mass is naturally affected by the "form" of space - that's what gravity is all about, actually. The interaction of masses via the form of space-time continuum.

Okay, we've established that shape of space and time can change. Furthermore, the changes in it propagate through vacuum much like ripples in the surface of the water, and most likely at the speed of light.

Now comes the important part - theoretically, these propagations can be detected since they affect the shape of space-time, and thus affect gravitational fields slightly. Gravitation moves stuff around, thus gravitational waves move stuff around, so to say. Or more accurately, distortions of space cause distortions, tension and other stuff in objects that reside in the changing space.

Harmonic changes in space-time would make the objects in space oscillate.

Usually, gravitational waves caused by celestial bodies rotating each other are so long and weak by the time they reach us that it's really hard to detect the small changes, but it's obviously possible. If you want an example, here goes - tidal waves. The Moon orbiting Earth changes the time of tides in 27.5-day cycles. It is a real example of gravitational waves in effect.

More drastic changes in space-time could be easily detected. For example, should a large mass transmutate to radiation in very short time, or be dispersed to wide area, the change would propagate through space-time and affect everything on it's way. So theoretically speaking, let's put a 500 kg (250:250, obviously) matter - anti-matter bomb in space and you at a distance of, say, 100 km from it. The bomb goes off, 500 kg suddenly transmutes into gamma radiation and suddenly a relatively large mass is spreading away as massless fotons. This causes a tension in space-time to go off - not unlike pressing a large drum membrane down and then lifting your finger, which removes the tension and causes the membrane to "smooth out".

In space, the change is similar - but it happens in three space dimensions as opposed to only two of a more easily comprehendable membrane. The key point is that this relief of tension will cause a spreading change in the fabric of space, and that change will slightly affect things that it goes through. Strong enough, it'll splatter and crack everything in it's way. Weaker, it would perhaps be felt as a "whack" or something like that. And it would cause a mechanical shockwave in your ship/planet also, so that would be heard as well if it was strong enough. Even weaker, you could likely weakly hear it as a slight pop.

...mind you, 500 kg is a really small mass as far as gravity is concerned, but the energy of a 500kg anti-matter bomb is something I don't really want to think about.

The gravitational shockwave would be the absolute least of your worries at distance of 100 km... but assuming you were shielded enough to survive, the theoretical basis for "hearing" the explosion is valid, at least that's how I see it.

The same applies to swiftly disintegrating and dispersing a large concentration of mass (say, a space ship) from small volume to large volume, kinda like what explosions inside the ship would do. It wouldn't be as drastic as anti-matter bomb with full mass->energy conversion, but it would cause a small distortion. Most likely undetectable though.

Or, if the ship was using, say, singularity as part of it's generator (Minbari, anyone?), that going off would definitely be heard/felt for a long distance.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Man that was alot of words.

If it's actually plausible, I congratulate you for propelling this forum into the realm of quantum mechanics.
If it's all just technobabble, I still congratulate you 'cause it was pretty cool sounding. Like good Star Trek.
Also, I was under the impression that nobody understood exactly how gravity works yet.
And how would these ripples or whatever in space/time be converted back into sound waves when they hit a cockpit?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
If it's actually plausible, I congratulate you for propelling this forum into the realm of quantum mechanics.

Not quantum mechanics... general relativity, rather. :p

If it's all just technobabble, I still congratulate you 'cause it was pretty cool sounding. Like good Star Trek.

It's actually not technobabble... though it could be. But, considering that the only difference between fact and fiction is that fiction needs to make sense to be believable while reality doesn't have that predicament, it's not surprizing that in science fiction, facts beat fiction.

Also, I was under the impression that nobody understood exactly how gravity works yet.

Actually, we have pretty accurate theories on how it works, starting from Mr. Newton, but not exactly why.

Einstein's general relativity is pretty accurate model of gravity in macroscopic distances, and it predicts gravity waves as ripples in space as described earlier.

And how would these ripples or whatever in space/time be converted back into sound waves when they hit a cockpit?

Your ship resides in space, thus the shape of space affects your ship... If the ripples are strong enough (and mind you they need to be really frakking strong to be detected!), they will theoretically cause your ship to slightly change it's shape. Which causes a mechanical stress to the ship and can be felt to varying extent.

If you want to visualize how the shape of space affects physical reality, think of a cube. It has sides the length of a, arbitrary length.

Now, in normal (ie. euclidian) space, the volume of space inside the cube is exactly V=a^3. That's pretty simple. Now, when things such as great local mass cause distortions to space (ie. gravity fields), the changed curvature of space means that the volume of space inside that cube is no longer constant. In case of positive curvature, the volume inside said observed cube will be V > a^3; in case of negative curvature it'll be V<a^3. Generally, objects with mass cause positive curvature to space-time, as long as I've understood this stuff even slightly correctly, which naturally isn't guaranteed. :drevil:

These changes are extremely small, however. For example, Earth's mass curves the local space so little that it causes only a few cubic inches of variation in scale of the planet itself.

But if you for example look at black holes, you need to understand that the closer you get, the more distorted space becomes, which means that it's volume increases exponentially as you close on to the event horizon. It's kinda freaky, but hey, who said that reality makes sense. If you wanna scratch your heads a little more, let's move to quantum computers... They're fun fun stuff. ;7

Offline Topgun

It's almost done... :drevil:

Offline Snaga

As to the use of it, I think that there are various ways of applying them in game. The most basic one would be as an effective anti fighter weapon, especially if you use several of them against a wing or two chasing your ship.

Also due to the nature of the Star Wars universe, there are lots of pirate ships, bounty hunters, smugglers, etc. that can use that kind of weapon, and I´m also sure, that many fredders can come up with very nasty ideas on how to use them  :drevil:, specially if they have a wide range of campatibility with the ordnance of most ships, (say even cruisers and destroyers!!). Of course, there´s not much info on their uses, except maybe the movie, but for that weapon we could make an exeption perhaps  :wtf:, depending on how we plan on using it.