Author Topic: Any plans for medals and promotions?  (Read 4450 times)

Offline SL1

Any plans for medals and promotions?
I couldn't find a thread about this, so I figured I'd make one.

One of the things I really liked about the old X-Wing games was all the awards you could win. The first game was particularly good about this, because you could actually see them on your dress uniform:

TIE Fighter was a bit of a step back, unfortunately. It would've been pretty fun to be able to fill out a uniform like this one:

So I'm just curious if you guys have anything in mind for decorations.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:55:41 pm by SL1 »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Any plans for medals and promotions?
We have some decorations, but they aren't anywhere near as nice as what you've posted :) Obviously the 1st is from X-wing but I'm not familiar with the 2nd.

Also, we're currently restricted by what FSO offers, they'd have to go in a "medal case" style format, and I don't think it'd be easily adapted to be a uniform.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Is that medals window part of the hardcoded interface then? Elseway, would it be possible to work around with some trick like Axems Journal system?

Of course all just speculation and would require tons of work to be implemented, but it's still cool to think about it...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Of course, how did I forget Axem's stuff!!!

Absolutely yes, we could do whatever we like if we script a new medals interface  ;7
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline SL1

We have some decorations, but they aren't anywhere near as nice as what you've posted :) Obviously the 1st is from X-wing but I'm not familiar with the 2nd.

Also, we're currently restricted by what FSO offers, they'd have to go in a "medal case" style format, and I don't think it'd be easily adapted to be a uniform.
I found the second one by googling "TIE pilot medals". It looks like it's from a Star Wars gaming community called Emperor's Hammer. I guess they have a system where members get a uniform and medals for doing stuff. I don't really know how it works.

But it's certainly a hell of a lot better than what TIE Fighter gave you. TIE Fighter didn't even let you see all your medals at the same time. Funny how that game improved on its predecessor in all the ways that are harder to do (gameplay, briefings, story, situational awareness), but took a step back on the purely cosmetic stuff.

Of course, how did I forget Axem's stuff!!!

Absolutely yes, we could do whatever we like if we script a new medals interface  ;7
Wing Commander Saga had a new medal interface. That might be another thing to look at, to see how they did it.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:07:08 pm by SL1 »

For WCS, is that the original release or Admiral Nelsons' modern FSO compatible version? The WCS guys changed things in the sourcecode.

Offline SL1

For WCS, is that the original release or Admiral Nelsons' modern FSO compatible version? The WCS guys changed things in the sourcecode.

It's from the new FSO version.

Good to know. :) Maayyybe with a little luck this could become part of FotG one day. ;7

Offline SL1

I hope it does. I never got into achievements or collectables in other games, but for some reason, I really enjoy collecting medals as a fighter pilot.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I'll have to check WCS in more detail, but at first glance it looks to me like a re-skinned medals box that leaves out the box :)  Unless we use an extreme close up of the uniform then I don't think it would be easy to implement in the current system...
----
----

It's from the new FSO version.
It is also part of the original full release of WCS.
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee