Author Topic: Team Fortress 2, it lives! (now with trailery goodness)  (Read 5943 times)

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Re: Team Fortress 2, it lives! (now with trailery goodness)
I've refused to buy anything that uses Steam before now, but the words "Team" "Fortress" and "2" certainly sparked my attention. Then I watched the trailer for Portal and played Narbacular Drop. I think I'll have to break down and get HL2E2.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Honestly, Steam isn't really annoying. Yeah, it's slow, checks for updates all the time, pops up Valve news when you exit a game sometimes, but it's not hard at all to tell it to go away. Just don't have it running all the time.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Okay, I decided to play the Half-Life 2 demo. Installed Steam, made an account started downloading it. all looked good.
It then stopped downloading at about 20% for no reason.
I went to launch HL2 and and it was okay, except in game it kept having random stalls for no reason, sometimes for half a second sometimes for 30 seconds. Then I realised it was stalling and immediately after playing a sound, I thought maybe it was taking ages to load them, then I realised it was fine with sounds I had already heard.

So I'm there thinking, there's no way it's doing what I think it's doing. I closed it, opened again and restarted the demo, all was fine and dandy until it played a new sound.

It gets to wanting a new sound in the game, requests it from Steam, downloads it and then carries on. It doesn't download while it's off, or when it doesn't need them, it's only downloading stuff when the game requests it. This is ridiculous, it makes it unplayable. This can't be right can it?

Half-Life 2 seems a lot better than I thought it was and I want to play it properly, but I am planning to buy it from Steam, it's not like this with the full game is it?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
IIRC, yeah, it was when you got the full game, because it's since been patched.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
You could try running the game with your network cable pulled out. That might stop it trying to download stuff. Of course if it wasn't able to download the media files earlier due to the 20% stall during download, the game may not be playable. This is all just guesswork. I have to maintain a room of 30 machines running STEAM at work and I've never seen this. Then again we have an ultra fast network connection so downloads practically never fail.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
You could try running the game with your network cable pulled out. That might stop it trying to download stuff. Of course if it wasn't able to download the media files earlier due to the 20% stall during download, the game may not be playable. This is all just guesswork. I have to maintain a room of 30 machines running STEAM at work and I've never seen this. Then again we have an ultra fast network connection so downloads practically never fail.
The problem is that it doesn't have the files yet and doesn't get them until it's asked for them, I'm guessing if I tried to play it with my connection off then it would just stall indefinately or crash due to missing media.

I'm gonna just bite the bullet and get HL2 on Steam, see if it's the same, and give Valve an earful if it is.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Got HL2 from Steam, everything downloaded okay overnight. Not ran into any problems yet (except being stuck in a wall once lawl).
Lost Coast has it'self stuck on 88% though. Havn't tried playing it yet though...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
If you got a partial download, you should simply be able to click on Installed Games (or whatever it's called) and remove local files, then redownload it.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Apathy

I always wonder whats wrong with my steam account, everyone says it sucks but mine downloads quickly, doesn't crash, and i tell it to not popup any news. :D In fact its running in the background right now, downloading preview movies and updates, and when I want to play it stops them to free up bandwidth.

I love the TF2 trailer though, the cartoony look really fits it - I was annoyed when the first screens came out of TF2 before it went vapourware for a while, was too gritty and realistic looking.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
The only problem I have with Steam is that it refuses to remove itself from the windows startup list.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
:wtf: What are you doing to remove it? I had absolutely no problems in that regard.

Hopefully I'll be back on a broadband connection by the time it is released.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
New trailer out. We get to see a bit more of the gameplay this time. The HW's gattling gun sprays so much now that I doubt you could hit anything with it.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.