Author Topic: Is there an intention to make this game full Open Source or Free Software?  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Is there an intention to make this game full Open Source or Free Software?
What 7z does have to do with FS2_Open?
Aside from being a usefull format for packaging just about everything big enough for the compression to matter, I don't see any place where it is connected with FSO.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
1.) Pretend you have a 5GB bandwidth cap
2.) Pretend you want to download FSO

or

1) Pretend that saving time downloading matters

or

1) Pretend that (unless you're into modding, then down't pretend, remember) you wish you didn't have to deal with the limitations of the current .VP format filename restrictions, among other things.
;)

Well, as you said, we can't use code that is under GPL. However, there are only very few things we're interested in in terms of adding external modules, and those that we do want are usually under LGPL, BSD, or some other non-assholeish license.

Alternative to .VP files - Read before freaking out
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 07:58:21 pm by jr2 »

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I will restate some of the things others have said, placing emphasis where I think it is most important.

FSO cannot be made FOSS.

The license restricts it from commercial usage, you would have to talk to volition about reissuing the source as GPL if you wanted to change this (it is conceivable that this could happen, but unlikely).

Even if this happened we would still not be able to make FSO (the game) FOSS, because that would only cover the engine, not the content. Volition doesn't even own the IP rights to such things as the GTD Orion, PVF Anubis, or SB Nephilim, or the IP for the races that these vessels belonged to (Interplay does). Now if you could get the engine GPLed then you could make a FOSS game from it, there are a number of mods out there that have replaced all original artwork and made a completely new story with completely new assets (BTP, BTRL, WCS (all of these use other IP that are not ever going to allow a GPL game, but they prove the technical feasibility of replacing all assets)), but you would not be able to make ANY FreeSpace related game unless you got all the assets and IP GPLed by Interplay (who will not _EVER_ do this). so as nice as having a completely FOSS game based on FSO would be, it is not something we as a community have any control over. we are quite content with the terms of the license so we are not likely to pester Volition to change them and I would find it highly unlikely that they would do so unprompted. If you would like to petition them then no one here would have any problem with that (I would hope), and if you got ANY positive traction with the issue then I'm sure you'd get complete support from the SCP team. we just don't have any motivation to do it our selves because the license currently permits the activities we are interested in, free personal usage. I have seen some recent artwork for some sort of fairly cartoony designed original content that looks like it could make an excellent start for a FOSS FSO based game (assuming we could get the engine GPLed) so if nothing else there is good hope for a free as beer open source game, that is pretty free in terms of liberty (but not completely), but I would not hold your breath for a fully FOSS game to come from FSO, you will unfortunately have to accept some restrictions or look elsewhere, unless :v: surprises me, which would be nice.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:30:30 am by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually some of us might have a problem with them using GPL rather than a less restrictive licence.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, as far as I am concerned, GPL is the least acceptable Open Source license. LGPL and BSD are much preferred.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
would you prefer the current situation over GPL?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yep. As far as I am concerned, the GPL is just a tool for trolls (especially its current iteration). I prefer simpler licenses, like BSD.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Ah, I stand corrected.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
would you prefer the current situation over GPL?

To be honest, yes I would. With the current situation there is always the hope of going to something less restrictive eventually. Once we've gone GPL we're pretty much stuck with it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]