Author Topic: Official new people thread!  (Read 232592 times)

Offline LordVerex

• Just do it already...
Re: Official new people thread!
I would like to take this moment to say hello and thanks. look forward to learning and helping build on this historic game and I am stoked i ever found this project.
"So I knew it wasn't just me. The madness was everywhere. These bombers were on a rampage."          -Battuta

"Get people on their feet quick and they're less likely to crawl away"     - Kyad

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Welcome to HLP. You are here for diaspora right?
el hombre vicio...

Offline LordVerex

• Just do it already...
didn't know about it till I found the project, I just like playing freespace ALOT, used to have an ohio based Lan team and everything organized. But yea, Diaspora, Wing Commander, Fates, they all have my eye
"So I knew it wasn't just me. The madness was everywhere. These bombers were on a rampage."          -Battuta

"Get people on their feet quick and they're less likely to crawl away"     - Kyad

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
:yes:
el hombre vicio...

Hi everyone!

I am at my second post here on the forums (first being support request showing fallacies in my behavior).
I just discovered FreeSpace and am amazed by this community. The last sim I ever played was X-wing (not vs Tie Fighter) when it was new!
I am getting an overdose of campaigns in the last few days and I really want to contribute.
In particular, I just got a Blue Yeti microphone (professional USB microphone) as a gift and have being playing around with it and with Audacity and would just love to provide voice acting for the mods pro bono.
If you want to point me to any tutorials to help with sound or anything else relatively simple I could be working with, please do.
I am also going to buy my second joystick ever. I think that for now I will opt for a "simple" Logitech 3d Extreme Pro. I really will have to think about how to customize all those 11 buttons! Do you guys play with joysticks or with mouse + kb?

Sorry for the spew, but everything around here excites me, so much that I am forcing my wife through Battlestar Galactica.

See you out there!

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hi everyone!

I am at my second post here on the forums (first being support request showing fallacies in my behavior).
I just discovered FreeSpace and am amazed by this community. The last sim I ever played was X-wing (not vs Tie Fighter) when it was new!
I am getting an overdose of campaigns in the last few days and I really want to contribute.
In particular, I just got a Blue Yeti microphone (professional USB microphone) as a gift and have being playing around with it and with Audacity and would just love to provide voice acting for the mods pro bono.
If you want to point me to any tutorials to help with sound or anything else relatively simple I could be working with, please do.
I am also going to buy my second joystick ever. I think that for now I will opt for a "simple" Logitech 3d Extreme Pro. I really will have to think about how to customize all those 11 buttons! Do you guys play with joysticks or with mouse + kb?

Sorry for the spew, but everything around here excites me, so much that I am forcing my wife through Battlestar Galactica.

See you out there!

There are many pilots for each type, Joystick, Key/Mouse, and even just Keyboard. Personaly, I play with just joystick;

Should be able to fit everything you need on it, and theres always the keyboard for the rest. Don't forget, the Hat is 4 valuable buttons.  :yes:
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Wow, thank you! That's exhaustive!

But...what's the Hat?

Another thing I would really like to start is the multiplayer. How is the voice used in the online battles? Just BS like in Call of Duty or actual tactical info/acronyms/remarks like in BSG or in the FS offline?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The Hat aka Hatswitch is the 4-way switch on top.  Like a mini-joystick on the joystick almost... or perhaps more like a D-Pad controlled by a single button.  Another analogy would be those trackpoint directional buttons some laptops use instead of touchpads for their mice.

From teh Googlewebs:

Offline khaz

I haven't been on this forum since April'08 and amazed my account is still here. O_o

Just wanted to say thanks as i'm playing both the Freespace games again after years and loving it. I get this giddy smile on my face seeing my beloved Valkyrie from the first game all shinied up. :)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Welcome back, about your account being still here you know that once an HLP forumite, always an HLP forumite.
el hombre vicio...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
IIRC they only clean out accounts that have never posted.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Hello, again!  Hard to believe I first joined the forums and posted nearly 9 years ago!  Got a welcome speech from Lt.Cannonfodder and everything.  :)  I discovered soon after that I liked RTS games, and started playing more FPS as well.  Then I got married and had kids, and didn't really have room for my joystick on our shared desk.  Excuses, excuses, I know.  Then last year I started getting tired of Battlefield 3 and nostalgic for Freespace.  I found all my original disks, including silent threat, but I wanted to take advantage of my larger monitor so I did a manual install of FSO (although I was sorely tempted to used the old installer that had worked for me before and not worry about newer updates) and started playing the FS1 port.  Again I got distracted by life for a while, then read about Diaspora on kotaku last month (I don't remember how I ended up there, as I rarely visit that site).  Today I finished Diaspora, and decided to jump back into the freespace universe.  I'm still figuring out how I want to map my sidewinder force feedback 2, and I am going thru the tutorials again.  With 3 kids and a wife and a fulltime day job it's hard to find the time I would like to play, but I am intent on finishing FS1, FS2, and silent threat since I never finished any of them, even when I used to play for hours at a time on my old Pentium II!  I also downloaded Blue Planet Complete, Just Another Day, and a few other campaigns.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi again!  I have absolutely no programming skills and I have not ever used FRED, so I probably won't have a whole lot to contribute (other than questions), but maybe I can help beta test every once in a while or something.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Playing campaigns released and posting on the forums is a good way to contribute, FREDing and coding is for wackos.

Welcome back, may you stay forever.
el hombre vicio...

Hello
This is the first time I've posted on the forum. I've been lurking for some time.
Freespace pretty much was my entire childhood, even leading up to recent years. In those recent years I finally googled the game, and found out about volition releasing the source code and the SCP (Finally figuring out why Freespace never worked with the multiplayer function over my modem). The SCP discovery brought me much joy. Albeit it took me a while to figure out how to get SCP to work, but I am amazed at the modding that went into it.

Sadly I waited rather long to visit this site, and I'm not sure how active the community is. If anyone still plays, it would be an honor to me to join you.  :)
-Nick

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Welcome.  Multiplayer board is that way, not sure how often people get on, however, they still do.  Enjoy your stay!  :)

PS Don't forget to check out all of the drool-worthy mods based on FreeSpace Open (Diaspora, BluePlanet, The Babylon Project, Wing Commander Saga, etc)

apologies to Batts for daring to promote mods that I haven't played, so sorry <-- ya see that there, I just lied, sorry again Batts *goes to saw off his double-sized Pinocchio nose* /internal flamewar stuffs, don't worry about it lol

Thanks for responding!
I already tried a few of the mods like Blue Planet, pretty rad. Most of the mods in the automatic downloader seem to have problems   :eek:

We still play.
Hell, we enjoy playing, and modding.

http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php - this may help with mods that don't work, just put 'em in a /Freespace SCP/[ModName] folder and set that folder as the mod in the Launcher. It's not really that hard to do. :P
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Thanks for responding!
I already tried a few of the mods like Blue Planet, pretty rad. Most of the mods in the automatic downloader seem to have problems   :eek:

The automatic downloader is totally ****ed, don't use it.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Yeah. Learn how to do it manually, and you can install FS2_Open on any OS. It's not as hard as it looks.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?