Site Management > Site Support / Feedback

Community and Moderation Standards Discussions (Consolidated)

<< < (3/17) > >>

Aardwolf:
Possible addendum to "Personal attacks are discouraged" (unless we think this is big enough to be its own item):

Assume good faith: don't put words in someone's mouth / don't pretend to be psychic / if someone says they meant X, don't insist what they really meant is Y.

Mongoose:

--- Quote from: Rhymes on February 06, 2021, 02:07:45 pm ---I think that touches on a related issue which is that if admins/moderators are not around, their continuation in the role should be re-evaluated--perhaps by placing them on an inactive list after a set period of inactivity.

If they're not actively participating in the community, and the moderation staff is supposed to be tethered to the community rather than removed from it, then maybe they shouldn't be moderating and shouldn't get a vote?

--- End quote ---

That's a fair point, and we have started to go through and prune some people who hold staff roles but haven't been active for a very long time and will continue to do so. We have the ability to put people in a sort of "staff emeritus" role. Regarding Mobius's point, there are certain decisions that are more time-critical, and we may not always have the luxury of waiting to get in touch with staff who haven't so much as logged in for a year or two (if it's even possible to get in touch with them at all). If we do ensure that the staff list is kept updated, then hopefully this won't be an issue going forward.

Grizzly:
I would specifically mention transphobia as a thing that should be banned if only becuase Ze Internet lately has made them the latest punching bag, and they are considered "acceptable targets" in ways that ye olde LGB folks aren't. Best to nip that thing in the bud. In the fallout Discords I frequented it has been the most frequent reason for banning people too.

As a point I would argue that wrt user guidelines, I would suggest something amongst the following lines:

Please think before you post. At HLP we strive towards creating a positive, friendly and constructive community. When posting, especially when posting critique, read your post through, and ask yourself "Do I come across as a dick when I post this?". Ultimately a post doesn't carry what you intended. It carries what you wrote, and ultimately that is your responsibility.

I would remove point 4. Vigilantism is something that the community should avoid. Use the report button and let the moderators decide what acceptable conduct should be, it's a far better option then letting people currently involved in the discussion self-regulate. Esp. since you accidentally end up creating an environment where people don't call the mods becuase they think they can solve the issue themselves, and then fail horribly at it despite best intentions. These kind of discussions should only be had by people who have the power to end them.

MP-Ryan:
I'm going to leave some of the other new comments alone for general user feedback and agreement/disagreement/alternatives.  To Joshua's point about transphobia, I really didn't want a list of every bad behaviour, but this is a legitimate point so I'm going to re-phrase; see the text update.

karajorma:

--- Quote from: -Joshua- on February 06, 2021, 03:51:21 pm ---I would remove point 4. Vigilantism is something that the community should avoid. Use the report button and let the moderators decide what acceptable conduct should be, it's a far better option then letting people currently involved in the discussion self-regulate. Esp. since you accidentally end up creating an environment where people don't call the mods becuase they think they can solve the issue themselves, and then fail horribly at it despite best intentions. These kind of discussions should only be had by people who have the power to end them.
--- End quote ---

I don't think the point needs to be removed. Simply reworded. We're asking users to self-regulate their own posts, not other people's. Basically what you wrote here.

--- Quote ---Please think before you post. At HLP we strive towards creating a positive, friendly and constructive community. When posting, especially when posting critique, read your post through, and ask yourself "Do I come across as a dick when I post this?". Ultimately a post doesn't carry what you intended. It carries what you wrote, and ultimately that is your responsibility.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version