Author Topic: Vasudan history  (Read 49824 times)

Offline Zarax

The Aces series is really hard to run, because it has the nasty extended memory requirement which was a pain to obtain even in DOS, and with any version of windows is next to impossible...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm hoping that Sierra revisits the WWII Aces games in the same style as before, but benefiting from advanced new graphics.  It would be akin to the upgrade Red Baron recieved when it went to Red Baron II, which I still fly on occasion.  I'd like to see an "Aces of WWII" game which would allow you to fly for either Germany, Italy, Japan, England, Russia, America, and even France, though they weren't in the war with their own hardware for long.  A few addons would include pre-WWII conflicts such as the Spanish civil war, or the China/Japan war, both of which use less advanced aircraft, or earlier versions of aircraft that would later see service in WWII.  Additional addons would include extension campaigns a la the 1947 addon for AOTP, where history is altered so that the US never dropped their nukes and had to invade Japan, allowing more advanced aircraft to see service from all sides.  A similar addon for the European theater would be more difficult, since there are fewer obvious events such as this to serve as launching points of an alternate history.  I have my own cool ideas for this, but I would be forced to start a whole other post, as it is rather in-depth.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Zarax

Just let them make Aces of Korea and it will be just the same...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
There was a game called "Sabre Ace" a few years back.  I actually bought myself a copy, but barely used it.  You could fly different aircraft than just the Sabre, only American though.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Zarax

BTW, there is an old strategy game called flight commander 2 that lets you use most post ww2 aircrafts ever created...
If you can ignore the outdated graphics it's pretty fine...
You can get it at hotu
The Best is Yet to Come

Maddox Games' IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles +Aces Expansion + Pacific Fighters thats what you want!
Best WW2 flightsim ever.

I've played Aces of the Pacific, Pacific Air War, European Air War, Sabre Ace and now this FB+AEP+PF. What game...and it has just about all Jap aircraft, certainly more than AotP had.

the late war Jap fighters like the Ki-61 "Frank" later mounted 2x 20mm and 2x 30mm...but was a fast armoured plane hardly like Zero with it's 20mms at all.

The Anubis is very much like a Zero or even more like the Jap Army's Ki-43 Oscar.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Vasudan Military Doctrine:

It seems to me that the Vasudan military is sort of vulcan in their doctrine. The needs of the many, outwiegh the needs of the few. What this translates into is the idea that what's important is the Vasudan war effort as a whole, and not the individual soldier.

As a result, we have Vasudan Destroyers, Cruisers and even Freighters which are all superior to their Terran equivelants with better armor and weapons. But then they have cheap fighters, with little armour (and later little shields). Whereas the Terrans use decent ships (less armoured and gunned), but better fighters. Because, to the Terrans the measure of worth on an individual is higher, whereas the Vasudans are more willing to sacrifice thier lives for the greater good (ie Kamikaze attacks).

The crux of the Vasudan philosophy boils down to their escape pods which are designed to carry information, not Vasudans, to safety.

As for the Anubis, I think that it many ways the Vasudans can be compared to WW2-era japanese. The Anubis, likewise as a weak yet potent fighter can be compared to some versions of the Zero or some other fighter which had paper thin armor but a big honking 30mm cannon which could blow apart any other fighter in the sky.

One asks "how can a fighter be deadly yet cheap?". It's simple, the Anubis is built is such large numbers that it is cheap. It's like buying in Bulk, the more you buy, the cheaper it is. It's also why something like the Erinyes or the Ares is an expensive craft in the GTVA, not only is it expensive in the first place, but not many of them are built so its doubly expensive. The Anubis is just the opposite. Its fairly cheap, but build a lot of them and then its really cheap.

Albeit the Aten is a crap cruiser, and the Vasudans also have heavier bombers than the GTA.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

Good job bumping a 2 year old thread for this.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Good job bumping a 2 year old thread for this.

I try to do my part.

Anyways, keeps this ole forum alive, stops the squatters regrouping.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Well you gotta remember, the Vasudans had the Anubis at one end, and really excellent fighters like the Seth and the Horus on the other.

In the end, which is worse, starting a new topic about the exact same thing, or bumping an age-old topic up from the grave.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom

Albeit the Aten is a crap cruiser, and the Vasudans also have heavier bombers than the GTA.

The Aten is supposed to be "the Vasudans' heaviest cruiser" anyhow (FS1 Aten tech entry). That implies a lighter cruiser of some sort (probably also cheap and extremely disposable). Any plans on that front?
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Ah, necromancy is cool, isnt it? :)

Anyway the Aten sucks as everybody knows,but that remark could true be when the conflict began (it is a 14 war, right). Where is that said?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

The Aten is supposed to be "the Vasudans' heaviest cruiser" anyhow (FS1 Aten tech entry). That implies a lighter cruiser of some sort (probably also cheap and extremely disposable). Any plans on that front?

It could just refer to a now-retired cruiser, or maybe even to the freighters initially confused as being cruisers, though :).

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
looks in wonderment at the revival of this thread.

Yeah the zods must have had lighter cruisers, how you can get lighter than two turrets is beyond belief but there ya go, to be hinest the satis frieghter is quite meaty though...

anyhow.....Let this thread die in peace :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable

...Yeah the zods must have had lighter cruisers, how you can get lighter than two turrets is beyond belief...

The Aten has 6 turrets  :wtf:

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
One of the freighters (I forget which one) was originally assumed to be a light cruiser.  Thus, since the Aten is certianlly better than a freighter, they designated it a "heavy cruiser" and the term stuck.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline neoterran

Bah ! I hate friggin' zods....  :mad2:
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Bah ! I hate friggin' zods....  :mad2:

It's pretty obvious, you know. :lol:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

...Yeah the zods must have had lighter cruisers, how you can get lighter than two turrets is beyond belief...

I meant multi parts...........single little light vas-fs1 fire point stlye turrets, bounce off clouds they are so weak...... :doubt: :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie

I meant multi parts...........single little light vas-fs1 fire point stlye turrets, bounce off clouds they are so weak...... :doubt: :D

....clouds called shields.
While everyone had to fly bare naked and with their pants down, they were not so puny in my book.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan