Author Topic: Weapons  (Read 43436 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Couple of questions. First off, are the Vasudans going to gain weapon technology along with the Terrans? (i.e. will they develop new weapons, unlike the Shivans in FS.) Secondly, will Vasudan missiles just be Terran missiles? (also as in the game)

Has this been asked before and I just can't find it?

Should I not have asked?

Should this be it the FAQ?
     Duh, I'm an idiot.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 10:37:29 pm by Mars »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That has yet to be determined.  We'll need to finish Chapter 1 (which is currently on hold) first.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Yeah, can't wait.

and...

How does it feel to have nearly 10,000 posts?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Exhausting. :(

++postcount

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
I've always felt that the 'laser turrets' (more like plasma bursts) that we see in FS1 are non-Terran in origin.  Big blobs of yellow things is not what I'd think of when I hear "human weapons."  I always kind of felt that the laser turrets were invented by the Vasudans, while Humans still used archaic solid projectile weaponry.  During the intial stages of the war, the Terrans could have realized that their weapons had difficulty penetrating the hulls of Vasudan ships.  Vasudan "lasers" could be heavily ionized gases composed of heavy metals.  The gas is made by superheating metals with ultra-powerful lasers until they have been energized to a point that the outer most shells of the atoms are completely stripped of their electrons.  Using very intense magnetic fields, this gas is compressed and ejected out the barrel.  Because they are heavily ionized, the gas stays coallesed and coherent for long distances.  It is so dense and super hot that when it impacts the hulls of capital ships or even fighters in instantly vaporizes the hull.  Making them far more effective than the traditional solid projectile weapons that humans have used since the beginning of humanity.

At least that was my idea.   :P

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I thought the Vasudans had weaker weapons than the Terrans, though?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Well the Fusion Mortar in FS1 does as much (or more) damage as an SGreen in FS2... so I'd say the Terrans had some good weapons.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
They can outrun us, and we can outgun them.

(A cookie to whoever can place that quote. :))

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.

It's just like basketball african americans will out dunk, outplay, out athletisize. But put a white guy will out shoot them all. (not a racist comment, a commentator said this not me.)
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
But the Vasudan Flux Cannon does much more damage than the Fusion Mortar (IIRC).

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...

It's just like basketball african americans will out dunk, outplay, out athletisize. But put a white guy will out shoot them all. (not a racist comment, a commentator said this not me.)

yes and he got fired for that, it is a racist comment
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
But the Vasudan Flux Cannon does much more damage than the Fusion Mortar (IIRC).

It was only supposed to be used on the Typhon, making it more akin to a BVas.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

Racist towards, who, really? >..>;;  Too many people and their ****ing feelings getting hurt. :p <..<;;
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It was only supposed to be used on the Typhon, making it more akin to a BVas.

I believe that the Vasudan Flux Cannon actually has a lower fire rate and missile velocity than the fusion mortar.  That can have a reduction on the overall dammage factor when you factor time in.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
yes but it fires much slower making it do the about the same damage.
edit: didn't notice TP beat me too it.

are you sure? I could have sworn I've seen him since.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Check your data Freespace Wiki

The VFC does slightly more (armor) damage / second than the Fusion Mortar, It ain't a BVas (should'a checked my data) but it's damage / second is 25% more than the Fusion Mortar

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Of course, it's not actually used, rendering that moot...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Vasudan Flux Cannon was supposed to be on the Typhon, which was what was to make it so powerful, but they got replaced by FighterKillers instead, making the Typhon a piece of ****.

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
The Typhon also has a weapons subsystem that is not only impossible to miss (it can be hit on both sides of the ship and it's about 1/5 of the ship's length), but horribly easy to destroy.  While doing expiraments with my FSPort overhaul mod I noticed this weakness glaringly.  There's no way one of those things could outright take out an Orion.  After a minute the thing's weapons subsystem is gone, and the battle is effectively over at that point.  The Orion's weapon subsystem is also a large and vulnerable target, but since it can only be attacked from one side, it's good to go.  I don't know if :v: changed this weakness from FS1 to FS2, though.  I did notice on many of the tables that Shivan ships had much stronger turret armor in FS2 than in FS1, but this was in regards to the turrets that were once normal laser turrets that were replaced with beam cannons.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
NOTHING is weaker than the Hades' engine subsystem.