Author Topic: Weapons  (Read 43439 times)

Offline HelDM

Uh... I have a weapons related question. In the demo release, every time you shoot something you get this really cheesy, stereotypical sound effect, like a ricochet. And it happens every time you shoot something. Now, on a technical point of view, if allll your shots are ricocheting, then you're not really doing much good. From a gameplay standpoint, it's kind of an irritating sound effect, and I was wondering if there's a change planned, so that if there's not, I can replace it with something else.

hmm good point.. I just started to imagine that all these bullets dented the armor of a hostile fighter.. if you shoot 600 rounds at the same area.. it's bound to be smashed to bits, and only the last shots would actually penetrate the armor, because the rest bounced off, but weakened it

Also, on the weapons front, it would be really interesting to see terran command (after unification) come up with some sort of hybrid weapon, based on old terran and vasudan designs. (a hybrid weapon as in a laser propelled bullet) It sounds like "the best of two worlds"The speed and general handyness of the laser combined with the raw penetration power of bullets.
Admirer... or something like that

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Wouldn't they be using armor piercing bullets of some type... technically speaking?

Pure lead doesn't really do much to armor.

Offline Topgun

I got an idea. diamond bullets.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
The effect does kind of bug me.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

Nice idea, but think of the £$£$£$£$£$ cost to the economy every time you held down the fire button in a twenty minute engagement.

Plus on the rare ( it must happen at some point) occasion that we miss our targets, They'd fly off forever and hit some poor soul out walking his space dog..
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline HelDM

Wouldn't they be using armor piercing bullets of some type... technically speaking?

heh true, but the sounds implies just that.. lead bullets ;)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality

heh true, but the sounds implies just that.. lead bullets ;)

Exactly my point.

I'd expect them to explode on impact, not richochet.

Also, in Freespace fighters can widthstand kiloton of TNT equivalent warheads, so I'd expect fighters, even from a hundred years before, to be a little more durable than normal machine gun ammunition could handle.

Offline HelDM

Hmmm quite a good point.. for a martian ;)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
It's actually in reference to Mars the greek god of war, not the planet named after him.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
You mean the Roman god? Be glad I pointed that out, I just saved you from the Mobian Inquisition.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
lol... oops... I originally wanted Ares, but someone had taken it.

Annnyway... more thoughts on the weapon ricochet sound?

Offline Topgun

Nice idea, but think of the £$£$£$£$£$ cost to the economy every time you held down the fire button in a twenty minute engagement.

Plus on the rare ( it must happen at some point) occasion that we miss our targets, They'd fly off forever and hit some poor soul out walking his space dog..

in the futaur diamonds might be much cheaper to make. and besides, how much money do you think the GTVA wastes on giant beamzors?

:(

Offline CaptJosh

Ok, since this thread is about weapons, I've got a problem. I just got the mission where I get the mustang for the first time. It can't use the guns that I'm showing available. Is this a bug or a feature?

EDIT: It appears to be a bug with the March 14th '08 XT build. I went back to the Dec. 7th, '07 XT and it worked ok, save the problem of it not being updated with the widescreen fix, though this largely wasn't an issue. I'll try to Mantis the bug later, assuming I can remember my login. I'm also going to test to see which build introduced the bug so that I can give more info for my forthcoming bug report for the SCP.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:29:08 am by CaptJosh »
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

in the futaur diamonds might be much cheaper to make. and besides, how much money do you think the GTVA wastes on giant beamzors?

Dude? Cheaper to Make? Diamonds don't come out of a factory. They're the result of the Earth crushing coal for a couple hundred thousand years. Besides, diamond's might be hard, but you can still smash them with a hammer. What do you think getting slammed into a steel or titanium plate is going to do? There's a difference between how hard a substance is, and its tensile strength.

They'd probably go on using depleted uranium or whatever else substance they've got going on.

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
Most likely a depleted uranium slug; and for railguns/coilguns/gauss guns they probably have a highly-conductive metal coating, like copper or gold covering the depleted uranium.
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures

Dude? Cheaper to Make? Diamonds don't come out of a factory.
Newsflash, they do.

Offline CaptJosh

Actually, for a railgun, you don't want highly conductive. You want it conductive, but highly resistive, so that the current pushes it along the rails. Highly conductive materials would simply create a circuit and drain the power out of the capacitors for the rail gun without affecting the projectiles. As for gauss guns, I'm thinking maybe you mean a coilgun? Don't need to conduct anything with that. The projectile in a coilgun never touches the coils. It's moved by pulsing the coils in a carefully timed sequence to move the projectile down the barrel of the weapon at an ever accelerating speed, and timing a reversal of polarity on each coil to then push the projectile as it passes and goes into the area of influence of the next coil. Basically, you shoot magnets, it's like a maglev train.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Dude? Cheaper to Make? Diamonds don't come out of a factory.
Newsflash, they do.

Ah, who knew.
      Even so, diamond tipped bullets? Seems unlikely. Considering that the diamond has to fit on the tip of the shell (or comprise the tip of the shell, which would be fairly big) and not chip off or whatever. Bullets of today tend to be fairly singular in their outer design. But who knows, I don't make 'em for a living.

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.
Isn't tungsten supposed to be a really hard metal, i.e. 9 on the hardness test or whatever?
You could use those on your bullet tips.
His legacy will last until the beginning.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
It resists high heat, but is brittle.