Author Topic: A little theory: missing Chronos cargo container  (Read 8196 times)

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
A little theory: missing Chronos cargo container
This little thought sprung to mind while thinking about the cargo containers in Freespace, and i thought i'd put it up here as it would apply to the TVWP-era canon.

Since the Chronos was in TVWP demo but not the Poseidon, i've come to assume that TVWP canon sees the former as designed before the latter.  However, i was a little confused that the Terran "Standard" container (TSC2), which appears to be their most commonly used one, is designed to fit the as-of-then undesigned Poseidon's docking arms, while only the TAC1, which is better armoured but used less often, fits the old Chornos. Why didn't the GTA make TAC1 the standard, and why would the standard container not fit the standard terran freighter?

Today however, i noticed the numbers of the crates; TSC2, TAC1, and it got me thinking that maybe the number is the crate's model; so the first crate is the Terran Standard Cargo model 2.

If the numbers do have this meaning, and it could be predicted from the numbers that in the TVWP-era there existed a TSC1, whose shape would fit the Chronos and from which the TAC1 was derived. It worked well for the Chronos but as the Poseidon wouldn't fit it well they made a new crate to fit the new feighter. It would also mean that at some point a TAC2 might exist, which would be an armoured container for the Poseidon. The TTC (and in FS2 time the TC-TRI) is a crate with a different purpose and the first of its kind, hence its model being 1 despite not being Chornos-made.

So yeah, just a little canon idea i thought might interest. Your welcome to use or ignore as you wish.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: A little theory: missing Chronos cargo container
Excellent theory. :yes:  We may use something like this. :)

The "real world" reason why the Standard Container has the current dimensions is that we didn't have a modeller available to stretch it. :p

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Standard Container isn't standard at all.

The TSC 2 is a super heavily armored version of the TC 2.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The Standard Container isn't standard at all.

The TSC 2 is a super heavily armored version of the TC 2.

Terran Superarmored Cargo 2?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I thought it was Terran Scientific Cargo, per the tech room description.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I thought it was Terran Secure Cargo.  Isn't the scientific entry the TTC for Terran Tech Cargo?

Anyway the TC 2 and TSC 2 have exactly the same model, so you have no proof the Standard Container isn't really the TC 2. :p

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I thought TSC stood for Terran SPECIAL Cargo.

No, it stands for Terran Snail Cargo, and it is made for hauling large quantities of escargot around.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems