Author Topic: Fusion Mortar shockwaves?  (Read 9148 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Fusion Mortar shockwaves?
Give it a bigger explosion. That's what I did in my FS2 install.
Now you cna see a nice explosion when it hits (but then again, I also REALLY turned it into  more awesome tempest - faster, more bang, but slwoer RoF)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Axel Wers

• I remember Descent: FreeSpace as a new game.
    • FreeSpace
Agreed. They didn't have shockwaves in retail; thus they won't get shockwaves in the mediavps. At least that's my opinion.
And then why EM Pulse in retail had green tail, but in mediavps red? In this case I don't see any problem with Mortar's shockwave explosion. I created Fusion Mortar with small and fast explosion and it looks much more better than original.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
If you think about it for a moment you would realise that the color of the tail has no effect on gameplay. Adding a shockwave to a weapon that had none in retail Does have an effect on gameplay.
Unless you make sure the shockwave deal absolutely no damage and has no blast force. Then it merely becomes a visual thing.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
All missiles (Fusion mortar included) have some blast radius, so it's possible to add a shockwave without changing stats.
In fact, add this:
Code: [Select]
$Name: Fusion Mortar
+nocreate
$Shockwave Speed: 95
To some .tbm and then test the Fusion Mortar. It should give it a standard shockwave.
Also, you can change "$Name:" from "Fusion Mortar" to any secondary and find out that none of them have impact-only damage.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
An explosion is fine, but due to the net damage of the rocket, a "shockwave" as in a bomb shockwave is illogical. Heck, the individual projectile does less total damage than a Harpoon!

The argument for that is on the first page of this thread, actually...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

I don't think there should be a shockwave; rather an updated cooler-looking explosion affect to make the fusion motar seem something more than an exploding-pea shooter. (even if that what it is in the end; it'll just look cool.)
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Cooler-looking BOOMZ are always nice. Because individually they're not too damaging, you'd probably want a Harpoon-sized blast, as has been alluded to so many times before.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Axel Wers

• I remember Descent: FreeSpace as a new game.
    • FreeSpace
If you think about it for a moment you would realise that the color of the tail has no effect on gameplay. Adding a shockwave to a weapon that had none in retail Does have an effect on gameplay.
Unless you make sure the shockwave deal absolutely no damage and has no blast force. Then it merely becomes a visual thing.
Little shockwave from blasted Fusion Mortar has almost ANY effect on capital ships.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
*Facepalm

I'm not saying a want for visible Fusion Mortar shockwaves is wrong, as you're entitled to your opinion. However, if your opinion is that the Fusion Mortar should have a visible shockwave, I'm saying your opinion is stupid.

Seriously, think about it. The numbers don't add up for it to be dealing enough damage to be spitting out a bomb-type visible shockwave upon impact. A pretty explosion? Fine. The FSU does stuff like that all the time. But a visible shockwave? No.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The thing is, although the Fusion Mortar's damage is quantitatively less than many other weapons in the game, from a qualitative standpoint, it does a whole lot more.  Unlike most missiles, it can actually kill an enemy capital ship, provided you sit around long enough for it to happen. :p

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That's very true, Mongoose, and I've noted it before. However, an explanation akin to the one like NGTM-1R made earlier in this thread is much more reasonable than a visible shockwave.

...And I'm quite certain that I've never seen the Trebuchet crack off a visible shockwave upon impact... and that classy gal does a whole lotta more stuff than the Fusion Mortar when it hits you!

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

A shockwave added (albeit small) to the Fusion motar would make it comparable to torpedoes in the way they look, implying that it has similar applications and power, which it certainly does not.

It is, however, no ordinary missile, at least from my opinion. So I think a special unique explosion is worth warrenting.
Again, though, this is my opinion.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
 ;)

Never disagreed with that. The FSU makes prettier explosions all the time.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

I was thinking of something like a fireball affect. I don't know why, but I keep seeing the explosion from the mega missile in Descent 3, which has a shockwave. That's something we obviously don't want. :P
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Now someone needs to slap a shark face on a Harbinger. :D