Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 372740 times)

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
yeah, too many boosters just does work.

This morning I made a setups with 12-solid, followed by 3 solid boosters, then triple tank liquid gets into a nice orbit with fuel to spare

Also, using some mod parts, made a pretty cool setup, reliable orbiter
(if images don't work) http://imageshack.us/g/534/anotherstage.jpg/

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:36:05 pm by MR_T3D »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i just said it was ineffitient, but they can and do get you there. sad thing is you can get to the same there with less stuff.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
i recently got up to 24km/sec. God i love E-1000 liquid fuel engines :D
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Shade

I'm starting to develop a love/hate relationship with struts. On the one hand, they feel like cheating - They remove any need for finesse or balance, and can make pretty much any rocket work no matter how haphazardly it is put together. They've basically taken the challenge out of building a rocket that works well. But... on the other hand, they let me build monsters :D

Case in point, this little baby:

Using only solid rocket boosters, this improbable stack will reach Kerbin's escape velocity, and with a safe margin at that. Start is a bit slow as in the end I couldn't be arsed to build entire new stages to keep pushing it higher, so I just pasted one I'd already made and added some SAS modules to make the first two. Still has enough thrust to get going, though, and one it gets to the upper stages it really takes off.

And of course, struts also allowed me to finally reach Earth's escape velocity... and then some. Behold, the Big Bertha mk3:

So big, I had to build it off-center in the VAB and build a notch into the lower stages to allow it to ascend past the crane-like protrusion on top of the launch tower, this testament to the utter overpoweredness of struts will casually reach Earth's escape velocity and then keep going to no less than 14.600m/s. It lags so badly for the entire flight that steering is more a matter of luck than skill, giving me barely .5 fps during the initial launch. Even so, steering is somewhat possible... you just need to start any correction 4-5 seconds before you'd normally do it to give the game time to register that you're trying to do something :p

And here she is after all stages are spent - Notice that parts of the interface are still bugging out due to lag:

Dunno what got into Bill and Bob, there. They're probably just glad that horrifying ride finally calmed down some.

[Edit] Craft files attached for anyone who wants to try them out.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:09:12 am by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
W......T.....F...... how does that not splode on launch???????????
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Shade

It took some finessing, that's for sure. Had to distribute its weight over 24 'legs' to avoid spontaneous collapse on the launch pad. There's a reason it's the mk3... previous iterations went kaboom :p

Oh, by the way, getting it off the ground takes some work too. The initial launch stage is, I believe, 57 LF engines and 18 SRBs.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
holy ****
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Lester

That thing looks like a wedding cake.

Offline watsisname

Case in point, this little baby:
*snip*

Nut-thundering Christ, I'd hate to see one of your fat babies. :shaking:
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Here's my own Satellite-Lofter. It's a 3-stage design, often achieving orbit with the first two stages alone, depending on payload weight and whether you add legs to later make landing smoother. The craft is designed for powered landings, BTW as leaving a NERVA engine in orbit would get the Green-kerbs panties in quite a twist.

Stage 1 has a 3 meter diameter and uses 7-kerosine engines, and 6 stabilizing liquid fuel thrusters. This one's a beast and takes some skill to fly, since if it tilts over more than a couple of degrees you'll never right it. As you go higher it's recommended to throttle the engine back down to reduce both air drag.

Separating stage 1.

Stage 2 has a 2 meter diameter and uses a single, massive engine. Until about 30 km high, I keep throttling the engine back.

....at 30 km, I increase the angle to about 45 degrees, starting to pick up lateral speed. I also increase engine output as gravity drag decreases, and it makes sense to burn fuel now when the Oberth effect is stronger.

....at around 45 km, we complete the turn to lateral thrusting and give the engine all it's got to take advantage of the Oberth effect.

Separating stage 2 and jettisoning the protective cone over the cargo. Since the cone's decoupler is somewhat anemic it's necessary to do a short side-ways burst.

Stage 3 is a NERVA engine with a massive, 1.75 meter fuel tank.

Orbital speed achieved, releasing payload. Note that I still have loads of fuel left, so I could loft this thing into a lot higher orbit, as is, it's on a highly ecliptic orbit.

Commencing retro-burn to re-enter atmosphere. I waste a lot of fuel, as this could be done a lot more efficiently by burning at periapsis and aero-braking.

Deploying chutes when air-speed has dropped below 300 m/s

Safety burn, slowing the craft below 80 m/s, so the chutes are not ripped off when they fully deploy.

At 500 meters altitude, the chutes automatically expand to their full size

Maintaining 9-10 m/s descent rate until the last 100 meters of altitude, when I increase throttle and land gently at 3-4 m/s.

Safely landed - on WATER! Expect a wet splash in later versions!

"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Enzo03

So apparently landing on the dark side of Kerbin is always fatal.
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
So apparently landing on the dark side of Kerbin is always fatal.
That should be fixed in the next Alpha release. HarvesteR said it was fixed. :) I'm looking forward to 0.10-X1.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Here's a video showing off the C-7 Aviation mod and what I've been mostly doing in KSP recently. Orbital flight is so boring... what would be a real achievement is flying around Kerbin in an aircraft.

Jeb's Joyride

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:05:52 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
New version just launched with input responsible winglets :)
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken