Author Topic: Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp down>half day-NOT RELATED: FB user info for sale.  (Read 1957 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp down>half day-NOT RELATED: FB user info for sale.
https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/facebook  |  https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/instagram  |  https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/whatsapp

caulixtla (@caulixtla)
https://twitter.com/caulixtla/status/1445091440917286926?s=20
Someone on Reddit, before they deleted their account, claimed to be a Facebook employee, and said that Facebook needs to get someone with BGP clue physically in a datacenter to fix this.
Hidden Text: Show

John Graham-Cunning (@jgrahamc)
https://twitter.com/jgrahamc/status/1445068309288951820?s=20
About five minutes before Facebook's DNS stopped working we saw a large number of BGP changes (mostly route withdrawals) for Facebook's ASN.

MalwareTech (@MalwareTechBlog)
https://twitter.com/MalwareTechBlog/status/1445067221051478021?s=20
Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp are all down due to a BGP configuration error, which means it's only a matter of time before someone tweets a pew pew map screenshot and claims it's a global cyber attack.

Twitter (@Twitter)
https://twitter.com/Twitter/status/1445078208190291973?s=20
hello literally everyone

EDIT: Update:

(emphasis mine)
Clarification: This is completely unrelated to the global Facebook outage experienced on 4 October 2021.[/i][/u]

Disclose.tv (@disclosetv)
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1445090512101384195?s=20
JUST IN - Data of over 1.5 billion Facebook users is being sold on a popular hacking-related forum. Data contains users’ names, emails, phone numbers, locations, gender, and user ID.

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1445090955229646865?s=20
The largest and most significant Facebook data dump to date is reportedly now for sale on a hacker forum.

Disclose.tv (t.me/disclosetv)
https://t.me/disclosetv/4961
JUST IN - Data of over 1.5 billion Facebook users is being sold on a popular hacking-related forum. Data contains users’ names, emails, phone numbers, locations, gender, and user ID.

This is the largest and most significant Facebook data dump to date and seemingly unrelated to an earlier 2021 Facebook data dump.

https://www.privacyaffairs.com/facebook-data-sold-on-hacker-forum/

@disclosetv
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 03:54:45 pm by jr2 »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp down > half day, UPDATE: FB user info for sale.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Re: Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp down>half day-NOT RELATED: FB user info for sale.
It's annoying that the outage is getting more coverage than last night's interview with Frances Haugen regarding Facebook's horrible, horrible practices ruining every facet of modern culture.

Similar to coverage of a government shutdown over budget squabbles vs revelations that the gov has been spyin' lyin' and hidin' abuses of its citizens and others around the world.

Re: Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp down>half day-NOT RELATED: FB user info for sale.
It's annoying that the outage is getting more coverage than last night's interview with Frances Haugen regarding Facebook's horrible, horrible practices ruining every facet of modern culture.

Similar to coverage of a government shutdown over budget squabbles vs revelations that the gov has been spyin' lyin' and hidin' abuses of its citizens and others around the world.

Err, the fact that the government ahs been spyin, lyin and hidin' abuses of its citizens and others around the world has been known for two decades. They called it the Patriot act*, and if you somehow managed to miss the doings of Wikileaks, Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning et al, you really haven't been paying attention. Which is understandable, because that's how social media algorithms work :|

Same with the horrible practices of Facebook (or Twitter or Youtube or what have you, as they all have similar issues): There is nothing new under the sun. I have to say that I'm kinda rolling my eyes at the title here: Selling user data to advertizers is literally how these companies make a profit.

Whilst when a megacorperation's entire infrastructure goes down, that's new and notable.

* I realize that this singles out a particular time and country, but the US is hardly the only place in this - every country that HLPers live in is guilty of this, especially when they collaborate as part of the 5, 9 or 14 eyes agreements. And this is not the first time this happens in history either: Even if you single out the US you can look at any point in the last century to see the government constantly spying on its own citizens and abusing the people who went to say things that the government did not like. The thing that has changed is the scale.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:08:01 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

Err, the fact that the government ahs been spyin, lyin and hidin' abuses of its citizens and others around the world has been known for two decades. They called it the Patriot act*, and if you somehow managed to miss the doings of Wikileaks, Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning et al, you really haven't been paying attention. Which is understandable, because that's how social media algorithms work :|

Same with the horrible practices of Facebook (or Twitter or Youtube or what have you, as they all have similar issues): There is nothing new under the sun. I have to say that I'm kinda rolling my eyes at the title here: Selling user data to advertizers is literally how these companies make a profit.

Whilst when a megacorperation's entire infrastructure goes down, that's new and notable.

* I realize that this singles out a particular time and country, but the US is hardly the only place in this - every country that HLPers live in is guilty of this, especially when they collaborate as part of the 5, 9 or 14 eyes agreements. And this is not the first time this happens in history either: Even if you single out the US you can look at any point in the last century to see the government constantly spying on its own citizens and abusing the people who went to say things that the government did not like. The thing that has changed is the scale.

Yes, that's what I was referring to.  Even back when PATRIOT was first passed, I knew it would be abused.  No one cares if you spy on terrorists, but the gov't has a funny way of taking a light-year for every inch you give them -- and then never giving it back, at least not without a friggin' bloody revolution.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
No one cares if you spy on terrorists

Well there's your problem. You probably should really care about who your government considers terrorists.

*cough* No one cares if you spy on individuals or groups that resort to acts or threats of violence to achieve political ends.

*cough* No one cares if you spy on individuals or groups that resort to acts or threats of violence to achieve political ends.

That's too broad: Your (and mine, and arguably everyone's) government uses the threat or acts of violence to achieve political ends. And since we live in democracies, those governments tend to be made up from political parties.

But for some reason I very much doubt that you would support the mass surveillance of the Republican party and all of its supporters, even though that's definitely a group that has resorted to acts or threats of violence to achieve political ends.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I mean. Insurrection is a chargeable offense.  Feel free to look up how many 1/6 protesters & rioters, who have been widely condemned by the right, insofar as any that engaged in acts of violence beyond taking selfies inside the Capitol cordons after (stupidly) following those at the front that pushed their way in, are being charged with insurrection by the Biden DOJ.  While you're at it look up which Capitol bombers (yes the bomb went off) were pardoned by Clinton and where they are currently employed.

I suppose the term should be restricted further, how do you propose limiting it so the entire left & right aren't implicated, or are we better off labeling both as domestic threats?   And if you want more recent left leaning attacks look at the 2016 Election riots, the Kavanaugh insurrection, etc.   Oh wait. Maybe fringes exist on BOTH sides.  Which I hope is what your point was. 

Still don't know how to properly define an actual terrorist as opposed to an unruly rioter though.  Serious bodily harm directly threatened perhaps?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 08:23:34 am by jr2 »

I was more thinking along the lines of the various invasions, bombings and the overthrowing of democratic governments and supporting fascist governments that we have seen the US government do in the past decades,  that sorta thing, rather then a bunch of riots. Massive military actions that are supported by the majority of the population that lead to far more civilian deaths then any attack on the US period. This is all "Comitting acts of deadly violence to achieve political goals", as is for that matter any police force. But yes, all the examples you provide would work too, and as such your own definition gives the US state a free cause to just spy on all its citizens.

Serious bodily harm directly threatened does get a bit sketchy too, considering how direct threats of bodily harm is a significant part of the "Law and Order" schtick. You can't have a discussion about how violent someone has to be before they get to be surveilled, you also need to look at why a government sanctions some forms of violence but not others.

Sidenote:
Kavanaugh insurrection

The what now?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 09:22:52 am by -Joshua- »

While you're at it look up which Capitol bombers (yes the bomb went off) were pardoned by Clinton and where they are currently employed.

Interesting that you would mention this actually, I went to look for it after writing the previous posts. No perpetrators of the 1983 United States Senate bombing were pardoned by Clinton.

Linda Evans did have her sentence commuted by Bill Clinton, which is a significant difference - the difference between "You should not have been punished" and "You have been punished enough". In this case, Linda Evans had her sentenced commuted to 16 years, which means her punishment was two years longer then that of fellow perpetrator Laura Whitehorn, who was released on parole after 14 years of the bombing. Both of these people became politically active in arguing for the rights of political prisoners.

This happened in 1983. It's notable that the bombing in question was specifically targeted at an empty wing of the senate purposefully as to cause no casualties - and no one was injured. A week prior, during the invasion of Grenada, the US navy had bombed a mental hospital, killing 18 civilians. No one was punished for this, and although the invasion was condemned worldwide including by the US's closest allies of Canada and the UK, the architect of the invasion, Ronald Reagan, would go on to be re-elected - and supply the chemical ingreadients necessary for Iraq to produce checmical weapons to use against Iranian civilians. Two years later, Pensylvania police would conduct the 1985 MOVE bombing, for which no one person was punished even though 11 people were killed (although the city of Pensylvania did end up having to pay damages). And throughout it all, the Reagan administration was supporting Jihadists directly.

Again, very interesting who is considered a terrorist and who isn't.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 12:40:17 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Most invasions are supported because the populace believes the nation being invaded is a threat to them and their own citizens.  Iraq, for instance.  But then after they've been occupied for 20 years you start wondering why the situation isn't improving like it did in West Germany and Japan after WWII.  Then you start wondering if those in government are keeping the situation from improving on purpose so their stocks in the weapons industry keep going up.  Life for citizens in the occupied country might be on average better than under the dictatorship, but ya know what, if they like being ruled by a jackboot, let 'em, not our problem.  If they want to be free, they're gonna have to figure something out I guess.  The whole situation feels like in Iron Man  when the big guy was cooperating with the terrorists using Stark's own equipment.  Else why wouldn't they have made their own stable(ish) government by now?  Someone's stirring the pot, either internally, externally, or both.  Methinks both.  Unless they really just like brutal regimes? 

I mean.  To be frank you could probably "help" them out of dictatorships but you'd have to be very oppressive, like a Roman Empire. Don't expect any thanks, and you'll have to brutally put down any opposition until you're done, and even then who's to say they won't fall back into the cycle?

It'd be nice to set up mini westernized territories that more sensible people could flee to and build their own successful countries from.  Problem is who do you take that territory from?  Subterranean?  Haha.  Underwater cities?  Artificial islands?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the stupid dictator in charge was originally propped up by us... did the worst of the Nazis and Soviets all infiltrate the CIA or what?  Who is teaching these guys, they ****ing SUCK.

Look into stuff like the Reagan Doctrine or just in general the history of Imperialism. This is all home-brew stuff. No Soviets or Nazis required, not even a bunch of confederates!

The US has a long history of overthrowing democracies. It's not that "these people want to live under the boot". Iran had a democratic government until Operation Ajax, Guatamala did until Operation PBSucces, and I could go on but honestly just read a Wikipedia article? You don't need to 'help' people out of dictatorships, you just need to stop putting people into them. Rojava is a good example of this, which only could happen when Assad withdrew and whilst Erdogan kept quiet.

The Iraq war was widely critiqued at the time. There were widespread protests, the US's allies had no interest in it (particularly the French, to which US Congress had the pettiest reaction). The onion was parodying the supporters of the war back in 2003. Saddam Hussein was never a threat to the US, and the vast majority of people worldwide knew it. It's just in the US itself where it went differently, which is an important aspect of this all. Even there, there were widespread protests.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 07:42:34 am by -Joshua- »