Author Topic: Happy New Year from the SCP (3.6.9 Official Release)  (Read 213516 times)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Re: Happy New Year from the SCP (3.6.9 Official Release)
Congratulations guys on a successful release!  I can hardly believe how far we've come with this....well done!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This build is very nice in general, aside from that slight issue with the fades. This and RC8 seem to load quite a bit faster for me than the other RCs did. Great work. :yes:

Or do like Nix did and get the pre-render files for the movies and then render them with a higher quality render and a better compresion.  That alone should get higher quality while keeping it "authentic."

Wonder if  :v: has those project files still?

Didn't :v: contract those out to a third party?

Someone here a while ago found where one of the FS1 cutscene guys, Mike Comet, was now working. It might be worth trying to contact him. I think the FS2 cutscenes were outsourced though, as you said. Actually, given Nix's success in acquiring the music, I've had a mind to ask Volition about some of these things we're missing through their contact form, particularly the high resolution FS2 textures.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 11:15:13 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta

It's built into the game, like MVE support is, so you don't need anything extra.  AVI and MPG support will be removed from all future builds too, 3.6.9 was the last to have it.

Is it just me, but considering that SCP is used as the basis of mod and campaighns, shouldn't it support many different video formats as possible to make it easier to get new video into the game?  Is there a reason why they're being removed that I am simply unaware of?
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie

It's built into the game, like MVE support is, so you don't need anything extra.  AVI and MPG support will be removed from all future builds too, 3.6.9 was the last to have it.

Is it just me, but considering that SCP is used as the basis of mod and campaighns, shouldn't it support many different video formats as possible to make it easier to get new video into the game?  Is there a reason why they're being removed that I am simply unaware of?

There were a lot of playback problems especially with the new divx codec installed.
Actually, while theora is not that widely known, it is one of the better MPEG-4 implementations out there.
The OGG/OGM container format also allows you to embed several audio tracks in the same file, allowing users to choose their prefered language, as well as subtitle tracks. (In essence it allows the same flexibility you've grown to love in DVDs).
The only more flexible container format that I know of is mkv, however the main reason why fansubbers prefer it is its more flexible subtitle support.
MPEG and avi are way outdated in this regard.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Congratulations, guys! Thank you for all the hard work you did to make this possible.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Thank you Goober5000!

I had a blast play FS2 Open today.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Looks good. Good job team.

Dumb question, but if i install this over my current version (One of the 3.6.9 beta releases i believe) will the missions i've made for the previous FSOpen version run okay, or will i need to remake them.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You (hopefully) won't have any problems. If you do they should (hopefully) be easy to fix.

MVE and Theora support are built into the engine meaning that the game does all the work of decoding and displaying them both. With everything else FS2 hands over to DirectShow. Obviously this won't work on Linux and Mac. It doesn't work that well on Windows either because if you have some DirectShow filter, codec or application that interferes with that you don't see the movie/only hear sound/crash.

And then we get the blame.

For something that isn't actually the SCPs fault.

And we're sick of it.

Getting people away from avi and onto MVE/Theora is the best solution until someone comes up with a properly licensed avi decoder we can use. Taylor went through the open source ones and couldn't find one that fit the bill so we're going with Theora. From what I've seen of it, it's not a bad choice either. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The OGG/OGM container format ...
OGG and OGM are not the same thing.  The game only supports true Theora movies, those using the OGG container.  OGM is a completely different container format, more like AVI than OGG.  OGM can contain Theora video, but MP3 audio ... or DivX video with Vorbis audio.  An OGG will use Theora for video, and Vorbis for audio.  That is all that we support.

Some people started changing the filenames of their OGG container Theora movies to OGM to tell them apart (for Windows mainly, which is file content brain-dead), but that is against spec and against the recommendations of Xiph.

From what I've seen of it, it's not a bad choice either. I agree with karajorma, I thought the quality was outstanding.

Now that fs2_open 3.6.9 is released, will there also be 3.6.9 MediaVPs?

Oh and: Congratulations on a job well done :)

EDIT:
Wow... I just downloaded all the movies...
Well.. I have the german Version of FS2. It seems that Interplay/Volition/Whoever did a good job in translating the movies into german...
All movies are well translated EXCEPT of the bastion-movie... That movie didn't get translated at all...
In the german Version there's not a single line of spoken text in the Bastion-Movie. Only the Background-Music :(

Oh... I made an Mantis entry. The "background" behind the movies is flickering madly on my PC...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 10:01:51 am by Mr_Maniac »

im glad u dont need divx anymore that waz annoying as hell.  :mad:

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Thanks guys! I'll download the new files when I get home from school today... yes much of America has schools that are open today...
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i'm installing visual studio 2005 on my new 64-bit machine right now and i'll see about a 64-bit build... soon as i get CVS working :(

[edit]
nevermind, more portability warnings than can be counted
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 01:42:15 pm by Kazan »
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Which VPs should I use with this? I just reinstalled Freespace 2 after reformatting and reinstalling Windows, so it's on a clean install...

Also, where do I stick the cutscene files? Main dir?

P.S. Major thanks to the SCP team for this.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:05:07 pm by TigrisJK »

Offline Ravage

• Just happy to be here.
Happy New Year and congratulations on the new release!

I second Mr Maniac's question...would love to see some new media vps someday.
Fame is proof that people are gullible.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

From my sig...

CUTSCENES (MOVIES)
Put the FS2 cutscenes in your "C:\Games\FreeSpace2\data\movies" folder.
Put the FS1 cutscenes in your "C:\Games\FreeSpace2\Fs1_port_3\data\movies" folder.

And this should answer your other question (I hate it when people list their files unsorted, with icon view, it makes my head spin, so here's the proper way to list it IMO. Although sorting by size can often be more helpful, alphabetically may be easier in this case.):

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Impressive. A massive thumbs up from Sydney. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Nice to hear that the FS2 movies have been converted to OGG format.  Has the same been done to FS1 movies?  I run the SCP with the FSPort mod and when I switch to this mod, the opening cutscene to FS1 plays.  Ah..... the good ol days.....

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
launcher crashes w/ a stack overflow
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir