Author Topic: InsaneBaron's Reviews: Inferno Series (Part 2!)  (Read 14983 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: InsaneBaron's Reviews: Inferno Series
S:AH was (capable) fanfic, though. Blaise cared much more about deep storytelling than the original Inferno campaign.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
S:AH was (capable) fanfic, though. Blaise cared much more about deep storytelling than the original Inferno campaign.

True on both counts. So "canonically" (from an INFR1 perspective), we don't know how or why the EA-GTVA war started, or even what the EA's motivations were.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline CT27

I haven't played Inferno:  Alliance in ages so I've kind of forgot the gist of its plot.  How did it differ from S:AH since both, IIRC, were about unifying Sol?

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
There's a pretty big difference between them. INFA is about a civil war between the governments of Earth and Mars (with Mars as designated protagonists). It's set 15 years after the collapse of the node, and it doesn't even reach the point where the EA controls all of Sol. It uses its own set of custom ships. It's very much it's own mod, set in Inferno's universe and made by the same people but without a particularly significant relationship between the plots.

S:AH is a much more serious attempt to give an account of the EA's origins. It's about twice as long as INFA, and it uses INFR1 assets. It's broken up in to four mini-campaigns, and it covers everything from the collapse of the node to the EA's complete conquest, with the player fighting first for the GTA and then for the EA.

I'll go into more detail with the actual reviews.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
INFERNO: ALLIANCE review ready!

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Re: InsaneBaron's Reviews: Inferno Series (Part 2!)
I'm surprised at the lack of response. Maybe not many people are familiar with Inferno: Alliance? If you haven't played it, you should! :P

I'll get the Sol: A History section up once it's finished. I'm juggling my writing time between it and a lengthy (15 page) paper.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I did like INFA when I played it way back when. It was a bit plain, unspectacular, but it wasn't bad. Didn't quite like the writing/plotline as much as S:AH, but the fact that there is some evidence of technological progression on all sides (something that S:AH didn't have the luxury of doing due to it not using custom assets) made it refreshing. Having something newer to shoot at the FS1-era terran fighters is always a plus, haha. The most aggravating thing about S:AH is trying to hit those bloddy Ulysses with the atrocious gun mount positions on the various Claymore derivatives. INFA spares you from that horror.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline CT27

Admittedly things could change if the next part of INFA reveals more plot, but as of right now S:AH feels like it connects to Inferno better (the EA feels more villainous).  I say this because I've heard that INFA is suppose to be the "official" prequel to Inferno.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I did like INFA when I played it way back when. It was a bit plain, unspectacular, but it wasn't bad. Didn't quite like the writing/plotline as much as S:AH, but the fact that there is some evidence of technological progression on all sides (something that S:AH didn't have the luxury of doing due to it not using custom assets) made it refreshing. Having something newer to shoot at the FS1-era terran fighters is always a plus, haha. The most aggravating thing about S:AH is trying to hit those bloddy Ulysses with the atrocious gun mount positions on the various Claymore derivatives. INFA spares you from that horror.

Oh yes. The gunpoints on the Claymore II were horrible :P

@CT27: I agree there. I think the issue was that INFA was intended as part 1 of a series. The four campaigns of Sol: A History are a complete story on their own.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
The problem with S:AH, Solar Wars, and any campaign which lets the player fly EA ships is that they're flying ships which were (probably) only balanced as enemy craft when released in INFR1. The Claymores have bad gunpoints, the Trident is a weak missile, the EA fighters in general just don't have a lot of loadout options compared to the INF GTVA, etc. Understandably, when modders let players fly ships from the EA fleetpack, it's a less well-thought-out and less fun gameplay experience.

INF team, correct me if I'm wrong.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
The problem with S:AH, Solar Wars, and any campaign which lets the player fly EA ships is that they're flying ships which were (probably) only balanced as enemy craft when released in INFR1. The Claymores have bad gunpoints, the Trident is a weak missile, the EA fighters in general just don't have a lot of loadout options compared to the INF GTVA, etc. Understandably, when modders let players fly ships from the EA fleetpack, it's a less well-thought-out and less fun gameplay experience.

INF team, correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree on some points. First off, the original Claymore's speed and maneuverability were so high that it was tricky for a human too control, while it's primary firepower was on the weak side IMO. Second, the Claymore II was tough, well-armed and had pretty good handling, but the gunpoints were annoying. The Stentor seemed pretty decent.

I didn't think the Trident was weak. It seemed like a heavier Harpoon to me.

Offline Mebber

The EA-ships/their gunpoints were really a huge damper to me in the latter parts of S:AH back when i played it. I really liked S:AH in most aspects, more than Inferno and Inferno Alliance, but the Claymores were a pain in the ass to fly (or shoot in case of the MKII, and i think the bombers too). Kind of unfortunate because it lowers the overall experience of an otherwise really good campaign imo.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
A little update: I'm writing two papers at the same time right now, so I've had to put the Sol: A History section on hold for a bit. It's already partially, done, and once it's finished I'll get it up.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm surprised at the lack of response. Maybe not many people are familiar with Inferno: Alliance? If you haven't played it, you should! :P

We probably are, but you have to understand that when INF:A came out, it was an uninspired and unimpressive prequel already competing against the very competent S:AH, told by one of the community's finest FRED experts and storytellers at the time.

A lot of us then really didn't understand the logic behind releasing the rather lackluster Alliance in direct competition to the obviously superior Sol: A History. It didn't do the team any favors. Most of us remain mystified and rather ill-disposed towards Alliance, which had none of the flair of the old Inferno and left us cold toward the prospect of future releases.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2

We probably are, but you have to understand that when INF:A came out, it was an uninspired and unimpressive prequel already competing against the very competent S:AH, told by one of the community's finest FRED experts and storytellers at the time.

A lot of us then really didn't understand the logic behind releasing the rather lackluster Alliance in direct competition to the obviously superior Sol: A History. It didn't do the team any favors. Most of us remain mystified and rather ill-disposed towards Alliance, which had none of the flair of the old Inferno and left us cold toward the prospect of future releases.

Hm. I agree that INFA lacked the... "flair" is a good word for it... that separates a good campaign from a great one. But I don't think it was that bad. The mission design was nice and solid, not to mention hard. The story could certainly have used some work, but it made sense and wasn't full of holes.

At any rate, I think it's pretty clear that the Nostos release will go back to the flair of INFR1.

Offline CT27

At any rate, I think it's pretty clear that the Nostos release will go back to the flair of INFR1.

To a point.  They are getting rid of the Warlock supercarrier that was your home ship in INFR1.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think the Warlock is somehow intrinsically part of the Inferno 'flair'.

Offline CT27

What I meant is that from what I observed, they're toning back slightly the number of big super ships in the game and trying to make it a little more realistic (i.e., a carrier won't be a frontline combatant).  They're shifting the Warlock's role to the GTSD Bastion from what I remember.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Which, in effect, means that you'll be on a ship of roughly the same size but with even more beams- albeit with a smaller strikecraft complement. More realistic? Certainly. Less awesome? I don't think so.  :)

My point is that "Ill disposed" seems... too strong a condemnation of INFA. It isn't really that bad. It certainly shouldn't be considered a reason not to play Nostos.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I don't think the Warlock is somehow intrinsically part of the Inferno 'flair'.

Agreed; it's about the Holy **** Quotient.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story