Author Topic: RELEASE: Sync  (Read 100059 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Haha, oh man. That's something else. Thanks guys.
You're welcome. :)

Now repay us by finishing Project #03. :D

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Wow...that's a pretty fantastic chain of events. :lol:

Offline Machaka

the fix worked and the rest of the campaign functioned 100%

thanks guys  :D

So, for those of us who don't speak fluent Freespace Mod yet, what is needed to get this campaign working with the latest version of open?

I have Sync with the MVP adaption, in addition; do you need some update to the latest version of Open? I have 3.6.10 with the patch. If so, how does one do that?

You need the latest nightly build. Drop that in your FS2 folder and change your launcher to point to it instead of 3.6.10

By the way, I like reading Eureka moments!

Awesome campaign, just one question.

I assume the subspace accident threw Alpha and the rest into a parallel universe?

Well, there's no indication of that anywhere...

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Quick question about Alpha 2 never actually arriving: is that the reason why the Herc is literally missing half its model?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
If Cobra's question relates to mission #8... I actually beat that mission the first time without the patch. I flew around a bit trying to determine the problem in-mission... until I noted there was only half of Alpha 2! After seeing this, I used my Herc to "push" him fully into the FS environment. When I could see his ship in full, I went to the node and left.  :D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Oh, you out of the box thinker, you.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Santa

• Science fiction and fantasy writer
    • #EZTV
Hehe, funny... since the model only came halfway through the subspace vortex, I figured that could be the cause of the problem. The solution was as simple as it was weird; push Alpha 2 further out :P
Science fiction concepts on my blog:
http://blogs.myspace.com/sfs_bj

#EZTV@efnet:
< Swuave> Scopophobia is a fear of being looked at.
< Swuave> LOL, i'de like to see someone with that fear.
<@SantaBJ> they wouldn't.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
In the wierdest way, a "puzzle" campaign might be an interesting experiment. Making use of these odd "bugs" could actually be quite entertaining, though it would more than likely just be infuriating...  :lol:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
In the wierdest way, a "puzzle" campaign might be an interesting experiment. Making use of these odd "bugs" could actually be quite entertaining, though it would more than likely just be infuriating...  :lol:

It would have to be closely though out both in what bugs to use and what clues you left about them but done well could make an interesting departure from the typical campaigns
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Do you mean like a campaign where you have choices to make that will lead to different paths, and different endings?
Stuff

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Nope, that can be done easily enough without using bugs.

Offline Euth

After completing the campaign, I've come up with several questions and speculations---if anyone is interested in discussing them, please see the Spoiler box below:

Spoiler:

1) Early on, in the "Warnings" mission, you are following the Truth further into the Betelguese system and 4 Vasudan fighters (Capricorn) and 4 Hercules fighters (called Psi or Phi) warp in.  The Vasudan says, what you're doing will lead to the death of us all, and of course they attack you when you won't hand over the containers.  This Vasudan guy sounds pretty similar to the Vasudans encountered later, spouting off about the end of the world, etc... so I thought, maybe the Splinter Vasudans went back in time to intercept the Sync drive?  But this doesn't seem possible: a Hercules wing would not appear with the Vasudan Capricorn wing if the latter group were Splinter Vasudans.

Now, one might also speculate that Capricorn and Phi just showed up with similar orders to the GTD Carthage... but this doesn't add up either, because later on when the Carthage attempts to arrest everyone, the Carthage itself says, essentially, "you're suspected of illegal activity, what are you doing with the cargo?" etc.  So it seems like Capricorn and Phi are not associated with the Splinter Vasudans, nor are they linked with the Carthage.  So who the hell are they?

2) At the very end, when leaving the Knossos, what system do you end up in?  Back in Terran space obviously, and probably many years after the Second Shivan Incursion, but is it a known system?

3) After everyone skips ahead 3 years the first time, and then when you gradually stumble upon the Vasudan transport and the Faera, neither craft communicate verbally with Alpha wing.  So, are they communicating or taking orders from the Persistence?  Or are they simply acting on their own?  If you assume the Persistence was giving them orders, this leads to a logical flaw: if that were the case, the Faera would not have fled into the final Knossos node.  (And the Vasudan transport would never have wandered off on its own earlier in the campaign during the mission where you find the box containing Sync.) 

Perhaps Shivans were occupying both of these vessels?  The derelict Vasudan transport you find starts itself up mysteriously, and tags along.  It then helps tow/repair the Faera, which in turn is critical to finding the Sync box when it's lost in the nebula (detached from the Raikan).  And someone in your party even suggests that the Persistence is needed to find Sync since their systems are synchronized in some way.  And notice, once you find the box, no orders are given at all to Faera, it simply grabs the box and brings it back with you.  So maybe Shivans are controlling or are inside of the Vasudan xport and the Faera after you find them... that would explain why the Faera willfully entered the node at the end.  Basically the Persistence was used as a pawn by the Shivans (and ironically, the Persistence itself used Alpha wing and others as its own pawns.)

...sh*t still doesn't add up...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
...sh*t still doesn't add up...

We have an automatic filter in effect so that you don't have to do the filtering yourself, you know. :p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Or he did it for comedic effect. :P

Euth, dude, we've all given ourselves headaches trying to figure out Ransom's enigma.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I for one enjoy enigmas...  :p

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke