Author Topic: RELEASE: Sync  (Read 99914 times)

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Have you played homesick?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.

I kamikazied five times to complete "Downfall", only to get stuck again a few missions later on "Purpose Calling".

On "Downfall", radar wasn't the problem; I had the radar on infinity range and I could see the green blip. The problem was, I flew to the blip and there was nothing there.

On "Purpose Calling", it's a different problem. I can find the source of the radar blips: (a couple Shivan fighter wings and...
Spoiler:
some large capship that I can't see enough of to identify
. Trouble is, I can fly around them, shoot them, ram them, lead my wingmen to them, et cetera, and nothing happens. No "Oh no, Shivans!", no "Let's get out of here!"; the ships stay stealthy and my allies ignore them. Whatever was supposed to happen when I found the shivans isn't happening.

EDIT: Wait... I tried "Downfall" for the Xth time, and this time I wandered around more. The reason I didn't find anything at the blip is...
Spoiler:
The blip is a Knossos. I should have though of it earlier: the briefing on the next mission revealed that it was a Knossos, but of course on a knossos there's nothing at the center blip.
However, I still can't complete the mission, for the same reason that I can't complete "Purpose Calling": I can fly right to the thing and nothing happens. it seems like it was the same problem both times. Ransom, if you're there, any idea what the problem is?

I just tried both these missions, after seeing your review.  Both of these are cutscene missions -- there is literally nothing for the player to do.  In "Downfall", progress is triggered by Alpha 2 moving to the blip -- it has nothing to do at all with your own actions.  I just flew slowly behind Alpha 2 and everything went fine (under 3.7.1 BP Debug). In "Purpose Calling"  the event is triggered by when the distance of Alpha wing as a whole to the unknown object is less than 900 meters.  The mission wants you to do nothing but fly around slowly -- if you go off on your own other ships in Alpha wing will get too far away from the unknown and the event will never trigger. 

Hope this helps.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2

I kamikazied five times to complete "Downfall", only to get stuck again a few missions later on "Purpose Calling".

On "Downfall", radar wasn't the problem; I had the radar on infinity range and I could see the green blip. The problem was, I flew to the blip and there was nothing there.

On "Purpose Calling", it's a different problem. I can find the source of the radar blips: (a couple Shivan fighter wings and...
Spoiler:
some large capship that I can't see enough of to identify
. Trouble is, I can fly around them, shoot them, ram them, lead my wingmen to them, et cetera, and nothing happens. No "Oh no, Shivans!", no "Let's get out of here!"; the ships stay stealthy and my allies ignore them. Whatever was supposed to happen when I found the shivans isn't happening.

EDIT: Wait... I tried "Downfall" for the Xth time, and this time I wandered around more. The reason I didn't find anything at the blip is...
Spoiler:
The blip is a Knossos. I should have though of it earlier: the briefing on the next mission revealed that it was a Knossos, but of course on a knossos there's nothing at the center blip.
However, I still can't complete the mission, for the same reason that I can't complete "Purpose Calling": I can fly right to the thing and nothing happens. it seems like it was the same problem both times. Ransom, if you're there, any idea what the problem is?

I just tried both these missions, after seeing your review.  Both of these are cutscene missions -- there is literally nothing for the player to do.  In "Downfall", progress is triggered by Alpha 2 moving to the blip -- it has nothing to do at all with your own actions.  I just flew slowly behind Alpha 2 and everything went fine (under 3.7.1 BP Debug). In "Purpose Calling"  the event is triggered by when the distance of Alpha wing as a whole to the unknown object is less than 900 meters.  The mission wants you to do nothing but fly around slowly -- if you go off on your own other ships in Alpha wing will get too far away from the unknown and the event will never trigger. 

Hope this helps.

Weeeeeird. On Downfall, Alpha 2 Never seemed to reach the blip until I downgraded (I might have borked it by giving Alpha wing orders, but I don't thinkI gave any orders after the first 2-3 tries out of however many. On Purpose calling, I had Alpha wing cover me as I flew within spitting distance of the Big Bad, and nothing happened, again until I downgraded. With this knowledge I'll try those missions again on 3.6.18 and see what happens.

EDIT: Still no luck.

Downfall: Alpha 2 doesn't even try to get to the blip. Alpha 2's orders are "Guard Alpha 1", Alpha 3's orders are "Guard Alpha 2", and they just follow me around in series. I could try banging Alpha 2 into the blip, but... more or less impossible.

Purpose Calling: I told Alpha to Form on My Wing, and then started ramming the... big thing. Nothing happened. (note... considering it's some 5.5 klicks long, maybe we needed to get to get within 900 meters of its CENTER... still more or less impossible.

Regardless, both missions worked in 3.6.12
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:53:26 pm by InsaneBaron »
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Actually, I think you are encountering this code bug: http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=2845

As the vessel in both these missions is called "Unknown" the issue appears to be the same.  You should try these again using 3.7.0, not 3.6.18, and see if you still have the problem.  3.6.18 is no longer a current build.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Actually, I think you are encountering this code bug: http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=2845

As the vessel in both these missions is called "Unknown" the issue appears to be the same.  You should try these again using 3.7.0, not 3.6.18, and see if you still have the problem.  3.6.18 is no longer a current build.

That does explain it, particularly as other "find the blip" missions with named "blips"- for instance, Phi 4 or the Reikan- worked fine. I'll try 3.7.0 when I get a chance on my good computer.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Holy crap! It's been over two years since I "restored" Sync? And is that the version everyone is playing with?

There was something I wanted to fix but never got around to, but I've been busy with life to prioritize it, since I keep changing computers.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I tried playing with an upgraded Hedetet model but it just spews errors. So it's not totally restored. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Govenator

• You have been targeted for termination!
Beat this campaign recently and wow it was good! 

There were a few missions that could have been blended together but the suspense was awesome!  Really keeps you at the edge of your seat!

I appreciate the slow start that set the whole thing up.  Overall I'd give it a 9 out of 10.  Excellent!

The only bad part about it now is this campaign has been around for a decade with promises of a sequel...... I guess that isn't happening.  (from my understanding transcend and windmill do not concluded this story).

So many questions left unanswered!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Transcend and an unfinished third campaign were supposed to be part of the same universe as Sync, but no real sequel was made. "Project-03" may have been a spiritual sequel since it features the protagonist from Transcend.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Ransom's still active as far as I know, so it may still be continued.

Offline Nyarly

• Generic basement-dweller
Project-03 wasn't supposed to actually be tied into the Sync/Transcend continuity.  Where did you get the idea that Sunder Marcel was involved?

Also, while Ransom maybe semi-active, his last post was... *looks at Mr. Arceihn's profile* exactly two years ago.
Do not taunt Magic Boulder.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm in touch with him (and in fact I owe him a letter!) so he's still around in some capacity.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Project-03 wasn't supposed to actually be tied into the Sync/Transcend continuity.  Where did you get the idea that Sunder Marcel was involved?

Also, while Ransom maybe semi-active, his last post was... *looks at Mr. Arceihn's profile* exactly two years ago.

Herp. I had totally forgotten. And for some reason I kept thinking Samuel = Sunder. That'll teach me to rely on vague memory. :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You can also look forward to my erotic sequel to Transcend, Thunder Under Sunder

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
You can also look forward to my erotic sequel to Transcend, Thunder Under Sunder

Ohh, myyy.

So how is Ransom, anyway? What crazy shenanigans has our other favorite Australian been up to?

Offline Nyarly

• Generic basement-dweller
Ah, good news!  I periodically check up on his webcomic and he recently responded to the chat there, so I'm glad he's apparently getting back into his old passions. 

Herp. I had totally forgotten. And for some reason I kept thinking Samuel = Sunder. That'll teach me to rely on vague memory. :P
No worries; happens to all of us.

Do not taunt Magic Boulder.

Can I try to make a fanmade sequel to this that ties into Transcend and Blue Planet?

Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Actually, Ransom worked on a 3rd part loosely connected to Sync and Transcend, codenamed "Project-03" (forum listed under "Transcend" on Game-Warden), but that sadly never surfaced. Of course you can do something like that, there's a campaign called Ghost Revenants that is also based/inspired by Sync/Transcend.

You might want to contact Ransom, he seems to reply to the chatbox on his website ( https://the-avatar.com/ ) from time to time. If you do so pls ask him about Project-03 as well, I'm curious what it was supposed to be about...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Don't let that stop you from creating your own mod if you want to.  Sol: A History was a fan-made prequel to Inferno: Classic, and it's still a good campaign even if Inferno: Alliance is the canonical prequel.

Well my idea is

Spoiler:
You play as Alpha 3, it picks up where you left off in the last mission of Snyc, after fighting the Shivans for a bit the Sync drive activates again and takes you outside of the universe where every other ship in your group disappears, then you find the Great Darkness which turns you into the Transcendent.
Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse