Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 670894 times)

Offline Jackho

• Gnoti seauton ...
    • Downloads an al
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.9.4 beta [Updated 2013/06/09]
@JackHo:  Does your system have a "C:\Programmes" as well?  If so, did you create it manually?  Do you have a "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)" on your system?

Indeed I have both "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" on C:\ but not "Programmes" which I created only on D:. And also I don't have either "C:\Games" or "D:\Games".

:v: Hope this helps!
Jack H.
A+
Jack H. : "Well... There's much more to check than six..."

Dear All,

I have played FS2 Open quite a bit, and find it enjoyable.
Recently, I got a new computer, and I wanted to reinstall FS2 Open to at least try to finish the FS2 campaign, and try some nice mods.

I've installed the Debian testing Jessie, which will be the Stable distribution in a few month. On the stock distribution, there are cmake 3.0.2 and libwxgtk 3.0 packaged. Although it's specified wxLauncher should use cmake 2.8, it works fine with cmake 3.0.
On the other hand, the compilation failed with libwxgtk3.0, and it looks like I need the 2.8 version off the library.
This one is not packaged in current Debian. I could always install package from Wheezy, but unless it is really necessary I would prefer to not manage package from an old version.

So, do you guys plane to make an update from libwxgtk2.8 to libwxgtk3.0 ?
Or do you have any ideas to what could make it work with the last wxgtk library ?

Many thanks,
--
Darckense

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Based on the questions that I have gotten from Olly I was under the impression that wxLauncher was in the package repository for Jesse as "freespace2-launcher-wxlauncher".

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=749834

Is that not the case?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Well.... Indeed, it works.
My mistake, I'm so used to compile games myself that I did'nt check if it was packaged in Jessie...

Need to find my joystick, now ! ;-D

Offline Agusfri

I have some problem with wxlauncher 

Unable to open log output file.
 Runtime error

i have reinstalled visual c++ runtime but the problem continue to hapend

but i still have the problem

i don't have any problems with the launcher 5.5g

well i found the solution:

delete the wxlauncher folder in C:\Users\Agusfri\AppData\Roaming\wxlauncher  and problem solved

sorry i have very bad English
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:24:43 pm by Agusfri »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Any easy way you guys can get the launcher to check if the necessary FS2 registry settings exist, and if not, then prompt for admin access and set them?

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
It is certainly possible and I thought it was in the list, but I have created issue 120 so that it doesn't get forgotten.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hey Iss Mneur, would you be interested in transferring ownership of the wxLauncher GitHub repo to the scp-fs2open organization? It should help us keep tabs on things and maybe also help attract more attention to wxL.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Yeah, we can discuss it in SCP Internal or PMs.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Ok, made a thread here so folks can get organized :)

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=90316.0
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.0 beta [Updated 2015/09/16]
:bump:

wxLauncher 0.10.0!  Yes it is finally here, after almost 2 years.  See the original post for the details.

Offline Yarn

Unfortunately, I'm unable to run the new version. Installation works fine, but when I try to run wxLauncher, I get this error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\wxLauncher\bin\wxlauncher.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe for more detail.

I tried using the debug build in hopes that it would generate a log, but it didn't. In fact, it doesn't seem to be writing anything to AppData. I also tried running it as an administrator with no luck.

I've attached the sxstrace output in case it's useful.

[attachment deleted by nobody]
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Unfortunately, I'm unable to run the new version. Installation works fine, but when I try to run wxLauncher, I get this error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\wxLauncher\bin\wxlauncher.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe for more detail.

I tried using the debug build in hopes that it would generate a log, but it didn't. In fact, it doesn't seem to be writing anything to AppData. I also tried running it as an administrator with no luck.
Same, Windows 10 64-bit.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Try the debug version. Apparently the release version is linked against the debug CRT. I will have to check how I did that tomorrow.

Offline Yarn

Try the debug version. Apparently the release version is linked against the debug CRT. I will have to check how I did that tomorrow.
The debug build produces the same error as the release build, so I doubt that's the problem. That is, unless the debug build uses the release build's CRT.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Fix versions of both the release and debug installer have been uploaded in the place of the previous, so the URLs have not changed. Please redownload it and try it now.  The installer should prompt about removing the same version.

In the end it was incorrect CRTs but for multiple reasons.  It seems that the new build script was not actually swtiching between debug and release, it was only makeing release builds.  So, the the release and the debug version were identical, which explains why the release version had the debug CRTs.  In addition, it was linking against both VC9's Debug CRT and VC9 SP1's Debug CRT, but the installer only includes VC9 SP1's Debug CRT, which was what was actually causing the SxS error.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.0 beta [Updated 2015/09/19]
This version runs, but it seems to be writing to the wrong place in the registry. I now have the following two registry entries:
Code: [Select]
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Software\Volition\Freespace2
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Volition\FreeSpace2
The former appears to have been written by wxLauncher; the latter is the one FSO seems to use.

* AdmiralRalwood cannot wait for Windows to move to config files instead of registry nonsense

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

The former appears to have been written by wxLauncher; the latter is the one FSO seems to use.

* AdmiralRalwood cannot wait for Windows to move to config files instead of registry nonsense

Then just do it. :P
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline CT27

This version runs, but it seems to be writing to the wrong place in the registry. I now have the following two registry entries:
Code: [Select]
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Software\Volition\Freespace2
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Volition\FreeSpace2

So would you advise I try this new version or stick to the previous wxlauncher (.94) that I have?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter

Then just do it. :P
Unfortunately, that's waiting on Antipodes, so it'll be post-3.7.4.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so