Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 670867 times)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.0 beta [Updated 2015/09/19]
This version runs, but it seems to be writing to the wrong place in the registry. I now have the following two registry entries:
Code: [Select]
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Software\Volition\Freespace2
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Volition\FreeSpace2
The former appears to have been written by wxLauncher; the latter is the one FSO seems to use.

* AdmiralRalwood cannot wait for Windows to move to config files instead of registry nonsense

So would you advise I try this new version or stick to the previous wxlauncher (.94) that I have?
If you are not on Windows, it doesn't matter. If you are on windows, I would try 0.10.1 (that I just posted :)).
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]
So, on Windows, it doesn't generally obey resolution settings anymore. I can say "Run in a Window" at 1280x800 and it will instead run the window at 1024x768 no matter what. Same for "Full Screen Window".

Also, this version of wxL somehow causes my screen resolutions to jump all over the place when FSO is started. This makes my multimonitor windows jump all over the place. I reverted back to what I had before 0.9.4 and these issues are not present. Basically it seems that at least the Windows version has issues properly setting resolutions.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
So, on Windows, it doesn't generally obey resolution settings anymore. I can say "Run in a Window" at 1280x800 and it will instead run the window at 1024x768 no matter what. Same for "Full Screen Window".

Also, this version of wxL somehow causes my screen resolutions to jump all over the place when FSO is started. This makes my multimonitor windows jump all over the place. I reverted back to what I had before 0.9.4 and these issues are not present. Basically it seems that at least the Windows version has issues properly setting resolutions.

Do you still have this problem with 0.10.1 ( released today)?  What about 0.9.6, which can be found on the releases page on github?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes on 10.1. I'll try 9.6 when I get home.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmm, my mistake. AdmiralRalwood suggested I double check 10.1 again in case I was accidentally on 10.0. I thought I was on 10.1, but clearly not because these issues are not present on testing 10.1 this time.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Hmm, my mistake. AdmiralRalwood suggested I double check 10.1 again in case I was accidentally on 10.0. I thought I was on 10.1, but clearly not because these issues are not present on testing 10.1 this time.
Good to hear.  What you were reporting what what the fix for 0.10.1 would have affected the most.

With 0.10.1 does this stop occurring as well?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
With 0.10.1 does this stop occurring as well?

Yup.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just upgraded to Windows 10... I can't get wxL to launch FSO. I get "Unhandled error in setting HKLM key in registry! Access is denied."

Please dear all that is holy can we get these settings out of the damned registry? (I know, that's not a wxL thing).

And yes, I did run the launcher as admin.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:15:24 am by mjn.mixael »

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Just upgraded to Windows 10... I can't get wxL to launch FSO. I get "Unhandled error in setting HKLM key in registry! Access is denied."

Please dear all that is holy can we get these settings out of the damned registry? (I know, that's not a wxL thing).

And yes, I did run the launcher as admin.

I got the same error in Win 10 using 0.9.4, but changing compatibility to Windows 7 seems to have fixed it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:05:02 am by deathspeed »
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Had this same issue as well. Will post guide when back at home comp.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline m!m

I had a patch for that at some point and I also have a PR that adds support for using SDL to determine where to save configuration files which is required for the configuration file changes.
The configuration path changes are ready to be merged and I'll see what I can do about the configuration file on windows but I currently don't have a Windows install so that might take a while.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, here's how I fixed this.

Step 1. Run the fs2.reg file from the steam version. If you do not have it, copy the following text into notepad and save it as fs2.reg, then doubleclick on it.
Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Volition]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Volition\FreeSpace2]
"EregCount"=dword:00000003
"Videocard"=hex(2):44,00,69,00,72,00,65,00,63,00,74,00,20,00,33,00,44,00,20,00,\
  2d,00,20,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,6d,00,61,00,72,00,79,00,20,00,44,00,69,00,73,\
  00,70,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,20,00,44,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,65,00,72,00,20,00,\
  28,00,33,00,32,00,20,00,62,00,69,00,74,00,29,00,20,00,28,00,31,00,30,00,32,\
"CmdLineOptions"=hex(2):00,00
"Interlaced Movies"=dword:00000000
"Movie Fast Clear"=dword:00000000
"D3DFast"=dword:00000000
"D3DTextureOrigin"=dword:00000001
"ForceWFOG"=dword:00000000
"Detect Glide"=dword:00000000
"Detect D3D"=dword:00000001
"DisableZbias"=dword:00000000
"Soundcard"=hex(2):44,00,69,00,72,00,65,00,63,00,74,00,53,00,6f,00,75,00,6e,00,\
"LauncherSoundEnabled"=dword:00000001
"EnableJoystickFF"=dword:00000000
"EnableHitEffect"=dword:00000001
"ComputerSpeed"=dword:00000002
"NetworkConnection"=hex(2):4c,00,41,00,4e,00,00,00
"ConnectionSpeed"=hex(2):46,00,61,00,73,00,74,00,00,00
"SkipVerify"=dword:00000000
"PXOBanners"=dword:00000001
"ForcePort"=dword:00000000
"Language"=hex(2):45,00,6e,00,67,00,6c,00,69,00,73,00,68,00,00,00
"StraightToSetup"=dword:00000000
"Gamma"="1.80"
"LastPlayer"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Volition\FreeSpace2\Version]
"Major"=dword:00000001
"Minor"=dword:00000014
"Build"=dword:00000000

Step 2. Open regedit (Windows-R, enter "regedit", press return)
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\
You should have a key named "Volition" there.

Step 3. Right-click on it, and select "Permissions".
When I did this, the "Group or user names" field was blank. If it is, click "Add".
In the dialogue that now pops up, Enter "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" into the "Enter the object names" field.
Click OK. The dialogue should now be populated.

Step 4. Go to the FreeSpace2 subkey under the Volition entry. Check permissions as above, and if necessary, fix as above.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This bug is still a thing on Windows.

Minimize wxL causes the bottom info bar to cover the buttons. While it looks like you can press the buttons in those images, you can't... because they are "covered" by the info bar. You can to press on the very tip top edge of the FRED/FSO buttons.

Offline Yarn

[...]

Minimize wxL causes the bottom info bar to cover the buttons. While it looks like you can press the buttons in those images, you can't... because they are "covered" by the info bar. You can to press on the very tip top edge of the FRED/FSO buttons.
That's not happening on my Windows 7 64-bit SP1 system. Maybe it only happens on newer versions of Windows.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Yarn

Is anyone else finding that all their joysticks are called "Microsoft PC-joystick driver" instead of their actual names? For me at least, this happens in both wxLauncher and Launcher 5.5g.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Oh yeah, my Sidewinder hasn't listed as Sidewinder in the launchers in a long time.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

[...]

That's not happening on my Windows 7 64-bit SP1 system. Maybe it only happens on newer versions of Windows.

Happened on my install of Windows 7 forever. I just put up with it. Suppose I'll be putting up with it indefinitely if no one else can reproduce it.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

[...]

Happened on my install of Windows 7 forever. I just put up with it. Suppose I'll be putting up with it indefinitely if no one else can reproduce it.
Doesn't happen to me on my Win10-64 install, and I don't recall it ever happening on my old Win7-64 install. Might be related to multiple monitors?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

[...]

Doesn't happen to me on my Win10-64 install, and I don't recall it ever happening on my old Win7-64 install. Might be related to multiple monitors?

*Tests theory.

Yup. I installed wxL on my old computer that is now a single monitor machine. The problem does not occur.

I saw it once when installed new launcher and activated it for first time.

win 7 64bit, no multi monitors

edit:
Actually it's enough if I remove or rename wxlauncher folder in Appdata, then start launcher, select game root folder then minimize.
So it's kinda reproducible.

edit2:
Height of wxlauncher's window at first start is smaller than at second and further activations.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 06:54:18 pm by tomimaki »