Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 670861 times)

Offline zheega

Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]
I have a problem. Even if I use the old launcher or the new one, the resolution settings do not apply. I keep getting 800x600, tried it with several FSO builds and MODs.
Can it be a Win10 problem?

Thank you,

Offline m!m

Can you try an older release (e.g. 0.9.6) and tell us if that release works? I changed how the registry was accessed but that code was written for Windows 7 so it's possible that it won't work with Windows 8 or 10.

Offline zheega

Same thing. All mods work (mediaVP 2014, blueplanet etc...), but the settings don't apply :(

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Pretty sure registry changes are handled the same way, or you would have seen gobs of apps stop working with the 8/8.1/10 releases.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Had the same problem - forcing a preferred resolution by -res custom flag helped...
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I keep getting 800x600
Are you missing the 1024x768 interface art (IIRC, it's in sparky_hi_fs2.vp)?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
I've compiled wxLauncher on Ubuntu 15.10 using wxWidgets 3.0.2. I removed wxWidgets 2.8 before I compiled wxLauncher.

When I try to start it up, however, I get this error message:

This problem occurs with the wxLauncher package in the repo, too.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I have the same issue with Mint 17 (Ubuntu 14.04). I have wxWidgets 2.8.12 & 3.0.0 installed.  I have been working around the issue by clicking "Continue" lots of times  :nervous:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I've compiled wxLauncher on Ubuntu 15.10 using wxWidgets 3.0.2. I removed wxWidgets 2.8 before I compiled wxLauncher.

When I try to start it up, however, I get this error message:

This problem occurs with the wxLauncher package in the repo, too.
I am unable to replicate this, I assume a mod.ini somewhere has something that is triggering a log message that is not formatted correctly.

To find which one and where, please build as debug and then start wxlauncher in gdb and paste the full stack trace.  Debug building instructions are in the OP.

Please paste or attached both the stacktrace and the generate wxLauncher log.

Thanks,
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
For anyone that is having trouble with the screen resolutions please ensure that you have 0.10.1.  This issue was fixed by this release.

I have added a reminder to the OP of this as well.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Ha! I thought I'd run into this before.  For some reason the mod.ini files for ASW1 & ASW2 also have a colon in their settings section:

Code: [Select]
[settings]
flags: -ship_choice_3d;

Replacing the colon with equals removes the issue.

Talon 1024, one of your mod.ini files might have the same thing.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Is wxLauncher 0.10.1 suitable to add to the FSO Installer, or should I keep the previous version there for now?  (Or I could keep both versions side by side.)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
0.10.1 should be fine to put into installer.

Offline Yarn

Ha! I thought I'd run into this before.  For some reason the mod.ini files for ASW1 & ASW2 also have a colon in their settings section:

[settings]
flags: -ship_choice_3d;

Replacing the colon with equals removes the issue.

Are you sure that field actually works? Because I tried it myself and it didn't do anything. I even looked at the source code for wxLauncher and the old Windows launcher; as far as I can tell, wxLauncher has zero support for it, whereas the Windows launcher has code for parsing it that's commented out.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It does nothing with it, but it still parses the whole file.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If it doesn't do anything then we need to get the mod creators to remove it; I got ASW1& 2 only a couple of weeks ago using the installer.
----
----

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Correct, it doesn't do anything and as already noted, as far as I can tell, there is no indication of what it is supposed to even do. Some examples I have seen are used sort of like the flagsets feature of wxLauncher.

However, the actual problem is the format is incorrect. It is should it should be
[settings]
flags= -ship_choice_3d;
The win32 launcher doesn't care so I need to "fix" wxLauncher not to either, but that hasn't happened yet.  Though if a mod is being distributed with the above setting...

Offline Yarn

Correct, it doesn't do anything and as already noted, as far as I can tell, there is no indication of what it is supposed to even do. Some examples I have seen are used sort of like the flagsets feature of wxLauncher.
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to specify which flags are always supposed to be enabled, regardless of the user's settings. For instance, in the example given, the -ship_choice_3d flag is supposed to be enabled, even if the user has not enabled it.

EDIT: Here's the comment of SVN revision 5199, which commented out the code that loads this field (emphasis is mine):
massive conversion of old hackish ini bookkeeping to new encapsulated bookkeeping
nobody try to run this yet; it's not debugged and doesn't even compile
(The commented-out code is in CTabMOD::GetSettings in TabMOD.cpp, in case you want to look.)

Judging from that comment, I'm now quite sure that this was used to store user settings, not mandatory settings. If this is true, then wxLauncher should definitely ignore this field as it does now.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:13:14 pm by Yarn »
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Right.  In the old Launcher 5.5, the top section contained the mod-provided flags and the bottom section contained the user-customized flags.  It wasn't implemented very well though, and that commit was the beginning of an attempt to code an alternate system.

Since wxLauncher has its own system of storing user preferences, it should* ignore that field entirely, as you said.

*Actually, I can think of an exception.  If a project published the mod developer's own mod.ini file, there is a chance that the mod's recommended flags would be incorrectly specified in the user preferences section.

Offline Yarn

If by "top section" and "bottom section" you mean the [launcher] and [settings] sections respectively, then I'm pretty sure that only the [settings] section stored flags; I don't see any part of TabMOD.cpp, before or after that commit, that tries to read a "flags" field from anywhere other than the [settings] section.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178