Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 671023 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]
Is that so?  I thought that there was a mod-provided flag list somewhere.  If you don't see it in the code, though, that must mean I'm conflating the two.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Can has an [about] section, or list the wxLauncher version number in the title bar?

Currently the only way to detect what version of wxLauncher you're running seems to be opening %APPDATA%\wxlauncher\wxlauncher.log

See: here.

EDIT: If it's normally displayed as info on the bottom, I can't see it because I have an info tip about Windows reporting 0 joysticks and 0 being plugged in.

EDIT2: I noticed, upon opening, wxLauncher displays like 3 messages in the bottom info section, which are each quickly replaced with the next message, and no way to view a message log of what was displayed.  Not sure if that is intended behavior or not.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:17:12 am by jr2 »

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Can has an [about] section, or list the wxLauncher version number in the title bar?

Currently the only way to detect what version of wxLauncher you're running seems to be opening %APPDATA%\wxlauncher\wxlauncher.log

See: here.

EDIT: If it's normally displayed as info on the bottom, I can't see it because I have an info tip about Windows reporting 0 joysticks and 0 being plugged in.

EDIT2: I noticed, upon opening, wxLauncher displays like 3 messages in the bottom info section, which are each quickly replaced with the next message, and no way to view a message log of what was displayed.  Not sure if that is intended behavior or not.
There is/was a button on the bottom left labeled about.  But I don't remember if it is still there it was removed.  I will have to look tonight.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Hmm, I don't remember seeing an About button...

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Hmm, I don't remember seeing an About button...
You are correct.  I know had code for it somewhere at sometime.  I wonder if it turned into one of the pages in the online help...

Well, I guess an about button goes on the issues list.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
That page in the help section was "Latest Changes" under "wxLauncher User Guide", but hasn't been updated since 0.9.0

Offline m!m

I have recently installed Windows 10 and I am also unable to save the video settings to the registry. Once I have my development tools installed I'll try to find the cause of this issue and fix it.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Verify you are in fact running 0.10.1 (check the log, details in the OP).  Is this a clean install of Windows 10 or was it upgraded from 7 or 8.1?

Offline m!m

WTF? I just tried it again with a clean system (I needed to reinstall because of my own stupidity) and now it worked out of the box. I'm fairly certain that I used 0.10.1 both times and both times it was a clean install of Windows 10.
I guess that's just another reason to use a config file on all platforms. The current way of writing to the registry probably isn't very robust anyway.

Offline Agusfri

well i have the screen resolution problem. i fix using the custom flag -res 1920x1080

-res
Allows you to specify a resolution if the desired one cannot be set in the Launcher. For example, -res 1920x1080 would run the game in 1920 x 1080 resolution. Since it requires an argument, it needs to be entered as a custom flag when using the Launcher. The "Run at specified resolution" option the Launcher gives is essentially this, but without being able to actually specify a resolution, it doesn't work.

thanks to the guy which suggest to use it. MitoPL
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:02:34 pm by Agusfri »

Offline m!m

What version of FSO are you using? 3.7.4 RC2 should have a fix for this bug by enabling the "Use a different registry path" option in the launcher. I don't know why but sometimes the Windows registry just doesn't work anymore for FSO. It will be properly fixed after the 3.7.4 release when a new configuration system will be used that doesn't rely on the registry anymore.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I don't know why but sometimes the Windows registry just doesn't work anymore for FSO.
More than likely it is related to the registry virtualization that is applied to an application like FSO that doesn't have a proper manifest, and writes to HKLM and Program Files.

Offline m!m

Yes, it's probably cause by the registry virtualization but for some time it worked on my Windows 10 install but then it suddenly stopped working without a clear reason. Well, it doesn't really matter that much. For the 3.7.4 release there is the troubleshooting option and for future releases the new config system should fix all these issues.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Also, sometimes wxLauncher needs to be run with admin privileges, or it won't write the registry entries in the first place.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Agusfri

What version of FSO are you using? 3.7.4 RC2 should have a fix for this bug by enabling the "Use a different registry path" option in the launcher. I don't know why but sometimes the Windows registry just doesn't work anymore for FSO. It will be properly fixed after the 3.7.4 release when a new configuration system will be used that doesn't rely on the registry anymore.

using the  "Use a different registry path" fix the problem. thanks

Offline m!m

Great! Thanks for testing that.
At least now we know that that option properly fixes the issue.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Great! Thanks for testing that.
At least now we know that that option properly fixes the issue.
...For some people. Unfortunately, for others, the alternative registry path code makes it stop working, and we've yet to find the common denominator.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline m!m

That's why I added the troubleshooting option so the people who have this problem can fix it. Fixing it properly would not be worthwhile since Antipodes has the new file based config system which will fix this issue.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
What's the difference between the two options, exactly?  (What differing paths or methods are used)

Offline m!m

Here is the code but basically the option enables a behavior where FSO tries to determine the compatibility registry path typically used by Windows for older applications instead of relying on the registry virtualization that Windows uses for the paths FSO typically accesses.