Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 670999 times)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]
Does your system really have no active audio capture devices?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The onboard soundcard has the ability, but there's nothing plugged in.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Ok, so then it is the bug that I thought it was.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline CT27

I'm trying to understand the release system here better:

As I understand it, the latest 'official' wxlauncher version is 0.11.  However, there is also work being done on "release candidates" for version 0.12; when 0.12 gets finalized and official, will it be announced here in this thread and put in the opening post list?

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
As I understand it, the latest 'official' wxlauncher version is 0.11.

The latest official release is 0.10.1, which is the one that you should use.  When a new official release is made the OP will be updated and a new post added (so feel free to turn on notify for this thread).

However, there is also work being done on "release candidates" for version 0.12; when 0.12 gets finalized and official, will it be announced here in this thread and put in the opening post list?
Correct.  This is how wxLauncher releases have worked since 0.10 but they were never explicitly labeled as such.

Offline CT27

I'm using 3.7.4 final for my build.  However, m!m told me on the previous page that it wasn't a problem that I was using 0.11 with that.

Should I switch back to 0.10.1?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm using 3.7.4 final for my build.  However, m!m told me on the previous page that it wasn't a problem that I was using 0.11 with that.

Should I switch back to 0.10.1?
Not unless it's giving you problems.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What do we need to do to get a new, stable 0.12.0 release in the immediate future?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Great question. Unfortunately only Iss Mneur would know for sure, and he hasn't been around in over two weeks. :blah:

From what I remember, he was working on refactoring the third-party dependencies like OpenAL/SDL into a Git submodule. However, that shouldn't be required for 0.12.0.

Offhand I can't think of anything else that needed to be done other than probably more testing. The best way to accomplish that most likely is to release a new wxL RC on all platforms and get it in people's hands with the 3.8 RCs/nightlies. As always, I can help with macOS releases. Currently there is no public macOS release of wxL that can run the 3.8 RCs or nightlies.

Offline Axem

This is probably a must-fix since it could shut out a lot of potential joystick users who would stop by for such a major release.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Since Iss Mneur hasn't been around in nearly a month, I can take a look at this.

I'll need some information from a coder who's familiar with the FSO input control code, specifically:

- which platforms this issue applies to (presumably all)
how to get the joystick/controller GUID, since FSO must do it somewhere. Presumably it's an SDL2 API call.

EDIT: Correction.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:31:12 am by jg18 »

Offline m!m

wxLauncher (at least the most recent version) already uses the same SDL2 APIs that FSO uses.
The wxLauncher code does it in the JoystickManager file and FSO does it in joy-sdl.cpp.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
So it turns out I don't have the equipment to reproduce the XInput controller issue. My roommate doesn't have a working Xbox 360 controller, so I can't reproduce this. :sigh:

Perhaps Iss Mneur or another coder has an XInput controller and can look into this?

Otherwise, I'll need to work with Yarn or someone one-on-one and figure out where things are going wrong with wxL and XInput controllers.

I tried wxL master with my CH Pro Throttle USB (which is DirectInput) and wxL seems to write the correct GUID to fs2_open.ini. So offhand I'm not sure why XInput controllers would be any different.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think I have a XBox 360 controller USB receiver for the PC, I can try to be of some help.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I have a PS3 controller pretending to be an XBox 360 controller; I think that should work.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Doing some digging by code/documentation reading.

wxL itself never manually sets the GUID to zero (that is, a long string of zeroes). It sets the GUID to an empty string on error, which will cause FSO to ignore the GUID entirely AFAICT.

AFAICT the only case where the GUID gets set to 0 is in SDL itself, from the SDL wiki page:

Return Value

Returns the GUID of the given joystick. If called on an invalid index, this function returns a zero GUID; call
SDL_GetError() for more information.

Therefore wxL may be specifying the wrong index when getting the joystick GUID for XInput devices? That's one thought. I need to compare more carefully to the FSO SDL joystick code. That's what I have so far.

EDIT: Wait that doesn't make sense. wxL is passing in an SDL_Joystick* (and not an array index) when getting the GUID. I wonder if something is wrong with the version of SDL2.dll that ships with wxL?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:22:52 am by jg18 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I wonder if something is wrong with the version of SDL2.dll that ships with wxL?
Why is wxLauncher still using SDL 2.0.3, anyway?

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Probably cause we haven't shipped an updated wxLauncher since a newer version was released?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Probably cause we haven't shipped an updated wxLauncher since a newer version was released?
But even the RC for 0.12 is still using SDL 2.0.3.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That's what I meant, even the last RC we shipped is still using 2.0.3.  We need a new stable release with 2.0.4 (or 2.0.5 if we can be _newer_ than the shipping FSO version).